New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-14-2016, 06:52 PM   #89
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m3mr View Post
Maybe that's your personal definition but that's not the defintion of the NFL or the NFL players union. Standing to a flag has zero to do with playing football. Tens of millions of people succesfully go to work every day without standing to a flag.
The NFL, Players Union or US Consititution do not require you to be a respectful person and show a modicum of common decency. Matter of fact the Consitition allows them to have no common decency. It doesn't make it right though.

I can think of far worse pieces of sh!t, but that graphic has merit.

There are FAR better ways they can expoit their celebrity status to bring light to the issue than this. They are supposedly protesting for equality, yet creating division.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2016, 07:40 PM   #90
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek
I thought this was a good article/interview in this week's Sports Illustrated.
I have been serving in the US Army for 15 years and counting. I don't do war stories or anything like that, and I'm definitely not a big advocate for any political agendas.

I can tell you that I was not born in the US, but my family came here when I was younger and I joined the Army as an infantryman and still wear the uniform on a daily basis.

These athletes are entitled to their opinion and beliefs, but as someone who has literally fought so people can have those entitlements, I find their actions to be utterly disrespectful for everything people have fought and died for, for hundreds of years.
jtodd_fl6703.50
bosstones1144.00
Irishsig315.00
      09-14-2016, 07:50 PM   #91
1LRM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LRP M3 E92, MR M3 E93

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
I have been serving in the US Army for 15 years and counting. I don't do war stories or anything like that, and I'm definitely not a big advocate for any political agendas.

I can tell you that I was not born in the US, but my family came here when I was younger and I joined the Army as an infantryman and still wear the uniform on a daily basis.

These athletes are entitled to their opinion and beliefs, but as someone who has literally fought so people can have those entitlements, I find their actions to be utterly disrespectful for everything people have fought and died for, for hundreds of years.
Lock. Nothing further to say.
F.T.B.R. Garage, CT
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2016, 07:51 PM   #92
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Maybe that's your personal definition but that's not the defintion of the NFL or the NFL players union. Standing to a flag has zero to do with playing football. Tens of millions of people succesfully go to work every day without standing to a flag.
Huh? And is the National Anthem played at the work of those ten's of millions of people?
      09-14-2016, 07:54 PM   #93
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
Huh? And is the National Anthem played at the work of those ten's of millions of people?
I think that is exactly his point.
      09-14-2016, 08:01 PM   #94
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
I think that is exactly his point.
I look at his statement differently--sure, standing for a flag doesn't make a difference in the work getting done...but if the Anthem was played at all work places(hypothetical ok) wouldn't those that believe in standing stand? The statement sounded meaningless to me..depends how you look at it....Maybe I didn't comprehend it right.
      09-14-2016, 08:08 PM   #95
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
I look at his statement differently--sure, standing for a flag doesn't make a difference in the work getting done...but if the Anthem was played at all work places(hypothetical ok) wouldn't those that believe in standing stand? The statement sounded meaningless to me..depends how you look at it....Maybe I didn't comprehend it right.
we only hear the anthem at sporting events. sporting events have fucking zero to do with the anthems principles.
oolas3387.00
9krpmrx8808.00
      09-14-2016, 08:13 PM   #96
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Keep anthems out of sporting events. It's an outdated tradition.
Appreciate 3
      09-14-2016, 08:19 PM   #97
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
we only hear the anthem at sporting events. sporting events have fucking zero to do with the anthems principles.
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
Good idea--gives a little more space for beer commercials.
      09-14-2016, 08:20 PM   #98
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Tradition, by definition, is old. Tradition is meant as an act of respect. There's far too little respect going around these days, and this is respect for your country.. not exactly a little one.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 08:30 PM   #99
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Yep it's the NFL trying to make a buck off of patriotism. Remember when it was revealed that the NFL was actually charging veterans groups for pre-game ceremonies to "honor" veterans. Where were all these fake outrage people then?
Appreciate 3
bimmette6452.50
kprocivic807.50
9krpmrx8808.00
      09-14-2016, 09:02 PM   #100
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Yep it's the NFL trying to make a buck off of patriotism. Remember when it was revealed that the NFL was actually charging veterans groups for pre-game ceremonies to "honor" veterans. Where were all these fake outrage people then?
Same point can be made about the athletes deciding now is the time to make a political statement during the national anthem / before a sporting event. Why not last year, or the year before, or two years ago, and so on.
      09-14-2016, 09:17 PM   #101
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
Same point can be made about the athletes deciding now is the time to make a political statement during the national anthem / before a sporting event. Why not last year, or the year before, or two years ago, and so on.
because cops weren't afraid of black men last year, or the year before.
      09-14-2016, 10:00 PM   #102
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
I kind of feel like it has a lot to do with it. You can't find a league in which people of all races and nationalities can become millionaires through playing sports in just any country. I think the anthem of a country free enough to accomplish this is relevant.
      09-14-2016, 10:05 PM   #103
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka
Quote:
I kind of feel like it has a lot to do with it. You can't find a league in which people of all races and nationalities can become millionaires through playing sports in just any country. I think the anthem of a country free enough to accomplish this is relevant.
Wait, are we still talking about the NFL? Because I don't see any Asians and Hispanics playing. This is not a diverse sport at all!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 10:08 PM   #104
oolas3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post

You might want to check up on that. There's a sport called soccer that is the world's most popular sport and mostly in other countries.

Is becoming millionaire throughs sports any more amazing than becoming a millionaire through sitting behind a desk?
Appreciate 1
bimmette6452.50
      09-14-2016, 10:25 PM   #105
oolas3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Wait, are we still talking about the NFL? Because I don't see any Asians and Hispanics playing. This is not a diverse sport at all!

Dont ruin a good false narrative created by the NFL and hoisted upon blindly adoring fans for profit. I was getting the warm fuzzies just thinking about the NFL minting millionaires of all creeds joining together in one big patriotic group hug on game day. Where do I send my check for season tickets? Lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 10:27 PM   #106
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3m3mr
Quote:

Dont ruin good false narrative created by the NFL and hoisted upon blindly adoring fans for profit. I was getting the warm fuzzies just thinking about the NFL minting millionaires of all creeds joining together in one big patriotic group hug on game day. Where do I send my check for season tickets? Lol.
Pro football players are so overpaid, it's ridiculous. Let's make it harder for people to become teachers and cops and then give them more training and pay them millions instead.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 10:33 PM   #107
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, we are, but not exclusively. I believe when someone threw in the phrase sporting events, the conversation now encompasses all sporting events in the US. Yes, there are Asians and Hispanics playing in the NFL. Even people from other countries playing. Some are already in the Hall of Fame and others are headed there. They are not the majority, but the crux of this issue isn't about Asians and Hispanics playing in the league, it is about race though.

Quote:
You might want to check up on that. There's a sport called soccer that is the world's most popular sport and mostly in other countries.

Is becoming millionaire throughs sports any more amazing than becoming a millionaire through sitting behind a desk?
Yes Futbol is popular on a world level. Even with my limited knowledge of soccer in less developed countries, i'd doubt there is any kind of opportunity similar to that of playing professional sports in the US. Some of these countries, relatively free, churn out athletic hopefuls so they can be imported into the US collegiate system for an education and opportunity for success. Some might call that the American Dream.

No, becoming a financial success isn't more amazing than doing so through professional channels. The point is, those who don't have the aptitude to become a success through professional channels still are afforded an opportunity for financial success. That opportunity isn't available in most countries that aren't considered free.
      09-14-2016, 10:35 PM   #108
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Pro football players are so overpaid, it's ridiculous. Let's make it harder for people to become teachers and cops and then give them more training and pay them millions instead.
Take a look at NBA or MBL players if you really want to become enraged.
      09-14-2016, 10:35 PM   #109
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka
Quote:
Take a look at NBA or MBL players if you really want to become enraged.
Nah it's ok. I pretty much mean any athlete paid a million bucks and over.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 10:41 PM   #110
Kenny's X5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
I've read through hundreds of comments from various websites involving this controversy. This comment has got to be the best!!!
Appreciate 1
bimmette6452.50