New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-12-2016, 11:43 PM   #23
Msizzle
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M6 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9krpmrx8 View Post
I wonder how many people are sitting during the anthem while watching it from home?
sir with due respect thats a silly analogy, that is not our tradition.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 11:59 PM   #24
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
I wonder how many people are sitting during the anthem while watching it from home?
Don't be dumb...it's a given when you are there give give respect and when you are at home the respect is in your heart. Once again, don't be dumb. And, for those that don't know..respect is for those that have made this country possible.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 12:00 AM   #25
geek
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

I thought this was a good article/interview in this week's Sports Illustrated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jimj911147.00
      09-13-2016, 12:05 AM   #26
9krpmrx8
Clean is the new cool, keep it that way.
Rep
Drives: 11' Alpine White 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
Don't be dumb...it's a given when you are there give give respect and when you are at home the respect is in your heart. Once again, don't be dumb. And, for those that don't know..respect is for those that have made this country possible.
You don't get to decide when and how respect is given. You don't know what me or my family has sacrificed serving this country. Same as most of the people criticizing these players don't know what they have done or not done in service to this country. If you want to get on a high horse about people disrespecting our country then talk about the real people who are doing a disservice to the United States. Plenty of vets who have put their lives on the line support what these players are doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msizzle View Post
sir with due respect thats a silly analogy, that is not our tradition.
Not your tradition. I am a third generation vet, with a son on active duty and I/we have stood in my living room and other places for the anthem on TV many times. People are worried about this insignificant crap with all the other horrible shit that goes on daily in our country.

Last edited by 9krpmrx8; 09-13-2016 at 12:14 AM..
Appreciate 3
geek57.00
04gto106.50
MKSixer34171.50
      09-13-2016, 12:15 AM   #27
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek View Post
I thought this was a good article/interview in this week's Sports Illustrated.
Thing is, I agree there really are issues, but I don't think sporting events are the medium to express them. Sports are to get away from it all, and be a team regardless of anything. It's like if I sit in a room with Niner fans and some are black, gay, republican and Democrat we are all out to see the same thing...but now, it feels different. And I'm talking from experience as I have a friend who is a black girl who is a Niner fan who thinks kap is a hero...so now that is the focus.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 12:23 AM   #28
9krpmrx8
Rep

Awww, well I am very sorry for your feelings. But it's okay, everything will be fine. I am sure it will die down eventually and you won't have to worry about what that "black girl" or anyone else ruining your focus on the game.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 12:27 AM   #29
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You don't get to decide when and how respect is given. You don't know what me or my family has sacrificed serving this country. Same as most of the people criticizing these players don't know what they have done or not done in service to this country. If you want to get on a high horse about people disrespecting our country then talk about the real people who are doing a disservice to the United States. Plenty of vets who have put their lives on the line support what these players are doing.

Not your tradition. I am a third generation vet, with a son on active duty and I/we have stood in my living room and other places for the anthem on TV many times. People are worried about this insignificant crap with all the other horrible shit that goes on daily in our country.
Hey, I'm on your side man--that's why I posted this. I'm sitting at home feeling honor when the anthem is played but feeling the people who are there and not respecting it do not understand what has happened in history to make it possible for them to even be there.

I'm not questioning you or your family if that is your accusation..if you want a bitch fight with me..well we can go at it...but I will stand by my criticism of the players.
      09-13-2016, 12:35 AM   #30
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Niners won.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 12:36 AM   #31
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

He has every right to protest (as long as the league allows it, and I'm surprised they are) and I have every right to think he's a hypocrite for protesting in that manner. He's a celebrity and if this really matters to him, there are plenty of other ways to protest or bring this legitimate issue to the forefront.

Fact is, he's a bench warmer at all times, as seen tonight, with Gabbert taking the lead and decisive win. This may have some notariety factor built into it, looking to be in the spotlight.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 12:38 AM   #32
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
Niners won.
Yeah..to shift away..granted the rams really suck...but the Niners played pretty solid..maybe they will go .500.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 12:40 AM   #33
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Yeah..to shift away..granted the rams really suck...but the Niners played pretty solid..maybe they will go .500.
Haha the Rams suck on what planet.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 12:44 AM   #34
9krpmrx8
Rep

Quote:
Hey, I'm on your side man--that's why I posted this. I'm sitting at home feeling honor when the anthem is played but feeling the people who are there and not respecting it do not understand what has happened in history to make it possible for them to even be there.

I'm not questioning you or your family if that is your accusation..if you want a bitch fight with me..well we can go at it...but I will stand by my criticism of the players.
It is your right to feel that way. But you don't know shit about what those players respect or what they know or think about history. The only major driving force that has made it possible fro them to be there on that field is money. Some players deciding to sit thru an anthem is meaningless when compared to the real problems in our country. And this is coming from some who was always taught as a kid and still gets out of their car and stands at attention for taps when on base.

People just need to calm the fuck down over this shit and other bullshit and get focused on things that really matter. If people want to stop watching the NFL over it then so be it, there are too many fake ass fair weather fans as it is.

Last edited by 9krpmrx8; 09-13-2016 at 12:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 12:46 AM   #35
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Haha the Rams suck on what planet.

They Were Pretty bad...I'm Just wondering why do all LA football teams suck? LA has great teams in history with every other sport...but football has been elusive.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 12:52 AM   #36
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It is your right to feel that way. But you don't know shit about what those players respect or what they know or think about history. The only thing that has made it possible to be there on that field is money. Some players deciding to sit thru an anthem is meaningless when compared to the real problems in our country. And this is coming from some who was always taught as a kid and still gets out of their car and stands at attention for taps when on base.

People just need to calm the fuck down over this shit and other bullshit and get focused on things that really matter. If people want to stop watching the NFL over it then so be it, there are too many fake ass fair weather fans as it is.
Actually your right about one thing--I am fair weather when it comes to all sports other than hockey. And your right..I don't know shit what those guys think because I don't talk to them, but I think as does the majority of the country, and I believe you, that they should respect the Anthem. So, are we still arguing?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 12:58 AM   #37
9krpmrx8
Rep

It's no argument, those players are free to do what they want, and you are free to sit at home and be upset about it while watching Hockey.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 01:07 AM   #38
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
It's no argument, those players are free to do what they want, and you are free to sit at home and be upset about it while watching Hockey.
Shit man, if hockey was on, I wouldn't even be watching...we got just over a month to go.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 02:56 AM   #39
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

I'm currently active duty serving this wonderful country, and I support their right to freedom of speech/expression. I would be a hypocrite if I were against their actions.

As long as your not in the streets burning our flag, silent protest all you please! It's what we fight for.
Appreciate 6
jtodd_fl6703.50
MKSixer34171.50
geek57.00
9krpmrx8808.00
David701567.00
      09-13-2016, 04:28 AM   #40
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVSRFR
I'm currently active duty serving this wonderful country, and I support their right to freedom of speech/expression. I would be a hypocrite if I were against their actions.

As long as your not in the streets burning our flag, silent protest all you please! It's what we fight for.
Thank you for your service and for your thoughts on the matter.
I'm reminded of the Jack Nicholson quote from "A Few Good Men". "You hide under the blanket of freedom we provide and then question the manner in which we provide it." I would twist this one for this purpose. "You hide under the blanket of freedom we provide then question the freedom it provides others." I admit to having conflicted feelings and think 9/11 wasn't the date for it. But I do appreciate your input.
      09-13-2016, 06:16 AM   #41
URBAN LEGEND
Rocky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M5, 18 ZL1 1LE, 18 M3

I respect these guys for the CTE data they'll provide to researchers in the future.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 06:29 AM   #42
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msizzle View Post
I just don't see how the black panther sign is acceptable, I'm a general manager and NONE of this "protesting" would be acceptable at work. It affects the product and any employee has the right to prevent something like this. Its a work place!
Exactly, what does this have to do with the NFL? An extremely diverse league... I remember a time, when your ass would have been fired or immediately fined for some bullshit like this. People have zero respect these days... and sports should have nothing to do with politics... I hate to say this but generally speaking athletes are uneducated and come from lower class familes and appeal to that class as well, hence there isn't enough education going around in general to understand why this is not the way to do this.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 06:42 AM   #43
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
Exactly, what does this have to do with the NFL? An extremely diverse league... I remember a time, when your ass would have been fired or immediately fined for some bullshit like this. People have zero respect these days... and sports should have nothing to do with politics... I hate to say this but generally speaking athletes are uneducated and come from lower class familes and appeal to that class as well, hence there isn't enough education going around in general to understand why this is not the way to do this.
I'm almost positive the percentage of nfl players with a college degree is higher than the national average. I'm not sure what game you watch but the nfl is 68% African American, and 28% white not exactly diverse. That is all.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 06:47 AM   #44
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
I'm almost positive the percentage of nfl players with a college degree is higher than the national average. I'm not sure what game you watch but the nfl is 68% African American, and 28% white not exactly diverse. That is all.
Sure, bcuz the athletes are given the degrees. I have seen this myself.

And if your stats are true, what sort of inequality are we protesting here?
Appreciate 0