New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

View Poll Results: Are you getting an iPhone 7?
Yes - iPhone 7 67 23.26%
Yes - iPhone 7+ 86 29.86%
Nope 135 46.88%
Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

09-08-2016, 02:59 PM   #89
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by masou View Post
I have the 6S+ and the camera is fine. Saying 7+ is a game changer is a bit of a stretch.

I do like the new home button and water resistance but not enough to make me switch now. I like the changes introduced w/the S cycle.

I started buying the phone outright. All other options are just a payment plan and the only one that may appeal is Apple upgrade plan but you have to pay for the AppleCare.
The iPhone 6s camera is not even in the same ballpark as the new one. The camera was the weakest point of the iPhone lineup previously, now it's the strongest.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 03:00 PM   #90
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Now you can turn your iPhone 6 into an iPhone 7 with this simple device:

http://appleplugs.com/
Yea.....doesnt actually render the device water resistant though
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 03:03 PM   #91
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Now you can turn your iPhone 6 into an iPhone 7 with this simple device:

http://appleplugs.com/
That made me laugh. Good find.
      09-08-2016, 03:03 PM   #92
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
Huh? "Game changing". It might be the best camera that Apple's put on a phone, but until anyone's compared it to the real world performance of gems like the S7, Z5, or the V10 ... no one has any real idea. Camera performance is about a lot more than specs on the page and Apple has never led the pack in actual real world performance and I'll believe when I see it.
If the 7+ performs like they say it can, it IS game changing. It's going to have 2X optical zoom and functions like a DSLR. It's not going to replace DSLR, but having some of the capability in your pocket is going to be a huge step.

I actually have confidence in Apple's image processing because they've made inferior hardwore (their iPhone 6/6s cameras produce pictures that seem a lot better than the hardware that shot them).

Technically, the iPhone 6/6s/6s+ cameras are a joke compared to the cameras in Samsung's S7/Edge/Note lineup, yet people like you and the other poster think the iPhone has a good camera. They didn't. Now they do. Plus they have custom chipset just for the camera and a boatload of image processing software to back it up now.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 03:04 PM   #93
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
I tell my people they can get what every phone they want, but if it's not an iPhone, don't come to me for set up help or any issues you have. I don't need to customize my screen, app tiles, and all that shit. I done growed up several years ago and just want a device that works and for me, iPhones work.
Because you're so used to the iPhone. Having used all four main OSes in the past few years, I can tell you that BB10 and WP8.1 are/were miles ahead of any Android flavour or iOS iteration for setup, use, and overall UI intuitiveness. Obviously, both lack critical mass and that creates app availability issues, but for the actual OS ... iOS is kludgy, rigid, and most of all demands that you have to use it the way Apple dictates and that any ability to tailor the experience to how you work best is forbidden by Cupertino.

You are also confusing the complete flexibility of Android to various user experiences offered by manufacturers. If all you want is a phone that works, TouchWiz, Sense, Xperia, or UX work just fine out of the box just like BB10, and WP and iOS. I do like that Android is completely flexible, but that's not valid as a criticism of it ... it's my choice if I want to avail myself of it. If all you want is an Android phone that just works, there are tons of options that are just as easy to start using as an iPhone.

The iPhone works for you, and millions of others, simply because after 7 generations of product it's just second nature. That doesn't make it a good user experience, a good OS, or a good product.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 03:08 PM   #94
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
That doesn't make it a good user experience, a good OS, or a good product.
Sounds a lot like any windows product

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 03:09 PM   #95
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
Yea.....doesnt actually render the device water resistant though
Bet you're fun at parties.
Appreciate 2
crbalch472.50
jtodd_fl6703.50
      09-08-2016, 03:11 PM   #96
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBride
I'll wait and see what the contract prices are. My 6 is up for renewal at the end of the month. If there's barely any difference between 6S and 7 I'll go 7. Having said that I'm not prepared to pay through the nose for one when its not really much different to the 6 I have.
This.

The smartphone market has matured/peaked for some time, hence many smartphone makers new offerings have less new features or worthy features. This results in people losing interest in upgrading to the next new thing and they just keep their current phone for a longer period of time. This is applicable to IOS or android.

I have a 6SP and I would like it to last 3 years, assuming battery life stays as spectacular as it is currently.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 03:12 PM   #97
davey111483
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: my GF crazy!

Garage List
2016 BMW M4 ZCP  [0.00]
I'll preorder iPhone 7+ tomorrow. I'm on yearly upgrade on AT&T so why not?
      09-08-2016, 03:15 PM   #98
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skhmund View Post
This.

The smartphone market has matured/peaked for some time, hence many smartphone makers new offerings have less new features or worthy features. This results in people losing interest in upgrading to the next new thing and they just keep their current phone for a longer period of time. This is applicable to IOS or android.
+1, for the first time in years, I am not spending any of my annual performance perq package on a new phone (BlackBerry Priv). Can easily live with my current phone for a second year and the 6S I got for my wife last year is more than good enough for her needs.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 03:17 PM   #99
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Because you're so used to the iPhone. Having used all four main OSes in the past few years, I can tell you that BB10 and WP8.1 are/were miles ahead of any Android flavour or iOS iteration for setup, use, and overall UI intuitiveness. Obviously, both lack critical mass and that creates app availability issues, but for the actual OS ... iOS is kludgy, rigid, and most of all demands that you have to use it the way Apple dictates and that any ability to tailor the experience to how you work best is forbidden by Cupertino.

You are also confusing the complete flexibility of Android to various user experiences offered by manufacturers. If all you want is a phone that works, TouchWiz, Sense, Xperia, or UX work just fine out of the box just like BB10, and WP and iOS. I do like that Android is completely flexible, but that's not valid as a criticism of it ... it's my choice if I want to avail myself of it. If all you want is an Android phone that just works, there are tons of options that are just as easy to start using as an iPhone.

The iPhone works for you, and millions of others, simply because after 7 generations of product it's just second nature. That makes it a good user experience, a good OS, or a good product.
Yes, it does. Perception is reality.

The phone does everything i need it to and much, much, more. I don't need it to be clever, i just want it to open the app that i tap. I want it to dial the number that i tap. I want it to play the VM that i tap. I want it to play my music that i tap. I want it to take a picture when i press the capture button. It does all that just fine. So for me and as you pointed out, millions of others, that is what gives it a good user experience, a good OS and a good product.

I don't think android is shit or bad or icky or what ever, i just don't want to use it. Thankfully (for both of us) we have a choice.
      09-08-2016, 03:23 PM   #100
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:

The phone does everything i need it to and much, much, more. I don't need it to be clever, i just want it to open the app that i tap. I want it to dial the number that i tap. I want it to play the VM that i tap. I want it to play my music that i tap. I want it to take a picture when i press the capture button. It does all that just fine. So for me and as you pointed out, millions of others, that is what gives it a good user experience, a good OS and a good product.

I don't think android is shit or bad or icky or what ever, i just don't want to use it. Thankfully (for both of us) we have a choice.
And that's fair enough. I was challenging the implication in your earlier post that there's something inherently more difficult of complicated about an Android phone. In my view, that's not true and, in a vacuum, probably the exact opposite.
Appreciate 1
Mr Tonka6058.00
      09-08-2016, 03:28 PM   #101
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

I think when Jobs died all the innovation left the company and it is doomed. Cook should be fired and they should get someone new to run the company. I mean, seriously, the watch was a failure (although it is the number 2 watch in the world behind Rolex, by revenue) and the iPad is sinking (only sold about $12 Billion worth so far this year). I mean, it is a travesty. iPhone revenues are down YoY for the first time ever (disappointingly selling only about $100 Billion worth so far this year ). The company is clearly doomed.

Edit: Oh, clearly there is some sarcasm hidden in there somewhere. Stealth adding charts... cuz... CHARTS!
Attached Images

BayMoWe3351172.50
MKSixer34171.50
rr006rbc1203.00
      09-08-2016, 03:29 PM   #102
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
And that's fair enough. I was challenging the implication in your earlier post that there's something inherently more difficult of complicated about an Android phone. In my view, that's not true and, in a vacuum, probably the exact opposite.
Gotcha.

I just know how to work the iPhone because as you said i'm used to it. But it's nice to be able to pick up any other iPhone and either help someone out or get help myself. The fact that it's rigid in that respect is a plus for many iPhone users.

That said, when ever i do upgrade, i think i might move to the larger 7+. I'll have to handle one first even though i do like holding things that make my hands look small.
      09-08-2016, 03:54 PM   #103
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
I think when Jobs died all the innovation left the company and it is doomed. Cook should be fired and they should get someone new to run the company. I mean, seriously, the watch was a failure (although it is the number 2 watch in the world behind Rolex, by revenue) and the iPad is sinking (only sold about $12 Billion worth so far this year). I mean, it is a travesty. iPhone revenues are down YoY for the first time ever (disappointingly selling only about $100 Billion worth so far this year ). The company is clearly doomed.

Edit: Oh, clearly there is some sarcasm hidden in there somewhere. Stealth adding charts... cuz... CHARTS!
Amen.

Yet AAPL trades at 10 times earnings and MSFT trades at 30 times. Gotta love the market.

AAPL *ONLY* sold 231m phones in 2015 and will probably sell around 220m in 2016 (OMG DECLINE).

For the Cook haters, Cook decided to launch the 6 and 6 plus to get people wanting larger screens, starting the super cycle. The only reason iPhone sales are down even slightly is because a CRAZY amount bought the 6 and 6 plus due to pent up large screen demand.

Fun fact. When Jobs died in 2011, Apple shipped around 72m phones. As I said, they more than tripled their iPhone output to 231m phones in 2015. Cook has done fine. The watch actually might gain traction soon as it functions as a standalone GPS device, perfect for athletes.

Now to grow services and move away from being a "hardware only" company.
Appreciate 1
jtodd_fl6703.50
      09-08-2016, 04:43 PM   #104
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by masou View Post
Problem already solved by various BT headphones...adapter is only for those w/now legacy headphone

Bluetooth audio sound quality doesn't compare anywhere near that of the legacy analog jack though.
      09-08-2016, 04:48 PM   #105
blake9220
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT Matte Indigo Blue

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [7.00]
I'll be making the switch from Android to iPhone 7+ this time around. For me it's more about having a device that works 100% of the time without slow downs, glitches, promised but never delivered updates, etc. The headphone jack is a non issue to me because I have never found myself charging and listening to music at the same time.

Appreciate 1
crbalch472.50
      09-08-2016, 05:54 PM   #106
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake9220 View Post
I'll be making the switch from Android to iPhone 7+ this time around. For me it's more about having a device that works 100% of the time without slow downs, glitches, promised but never delivered updates, etc. The headphone jack is a non issue to me because I have never found myself charging and listening to music at the same time.
Plus if anything goes wrong with the phone walk into an Apple Store and walk out in 30min with a new phone
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 06:01 PM   #107
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake9220 View Post
Plus if anything goes wrong with the phone walk into an Apple Store and walk out in 30min with a new phone
Depends where you live... Try doing that in LA, NYC, SF, etc... 30 mins?! Lol...

Best solution is business account with apple... Worth it... In and out... Or just call someone from the business team...
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      09-08-2016, 06:17 PM   #108
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Depends where you live... Try doing that in LA, NYC, SF, etc... 30 mins?! Lol...

Best solution is business account with apple... Worth it... In and out... Or just call someone from the business team...
Crap.
You posted something I agree with and can't ridicule.

We are an Apple shop and I wouldn't move to any platform. I like devices that actually work.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 1
shoei7778.00
      09-08-2016, 06:32 PM   #109
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I like my iphone but for PC OS ... I like Windows. It's just easy to use and customize. Tons of third party support and programs to do just about everything.

Not to mention the best part about Windows PC - video games!
      09-08-2016, 06:55 PM   #110
EJT86
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post

Well that may be so and I would drive 20min to other Apple stores I would never bother with the Boston one, but still better than mailing your "insured" android phone in for a big deductible and 2 week turnaround to get it back
Appreciate 0