New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

View Poll Results: Are you getting an iPhone 7?
Yes - iPhone 7 67 23.26%
Yes - iPhone 7+ 86 29.86%
Nope 135 46.88%
Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

09-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #67
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
masou did you just project the death of Microsoft? I'd argue that's delusional ... MS is far better situated than any other tech company (except arguably Google) given the strategic and tactical shifts they've undertaken in the past three years.

As for the iPhone 7, interested in what Apple devotees think of the elimination of the headphone jack, no quick charge, no wireless charging, and only Apple Pay for proximity payments on a flagship 2017 phone.
M$ may not go away but they will most certainly lose market share

The ever increasing complexity and never ending serious security issues and cost to mitigate/patch on monthly basis introduce very serious problems and costs to companies

Take for example the current windows 10 debaucle

There are 3(?) different major versions of the product on which one is tailored to be more enterprise centric

The enterprise centric solution then has 3 separate product branches/versions (SB, SBB and LTSB) and each have different features, problems, patch intervals and feature release intervals

Its a freakin nightmare of a problem for enterprises to navigate as well as ensure supportability of 3rd party software than needs to run on it

Screw that.....give me a mac or nix box
Appreciate 1
omasou2076.00
      09-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #68
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92
Quote:
Originally Posted by masou View Post
They can't even figure out how to stop the fragmentation and upgrade older phones.

I don't really follow wearables but the fact that I'm not even aware that MS had a horse in the game or that S1/S2 is Samsung's attempt to break free of Android tells me that there isn't any traction there. But who the heck am I.

Enterprise would still be on XP if they could, most are stuck on 7 and only b/c they had to upgrade. Others that want to use 10 are trying to figure out how to use it w/o MS Cloud integrations (mostly b/c they are afraid of security issues, fact or fiction, I don't know) Look how MS used the FUD machine to force people to make a decision by ending the free upgrade. Most that "I know" where trying to figure out how to stop the "automatic" upgrade.

The only reason MS is still in enterprise is b/c IT is too comfortable with and not willing to learn what it takes to support alternatives. That's slowly changing with Sales using iPads and enterprise standardizing on iPhones. Where's Android here. Answer it's not. They are outside looking in.

Now in Education Google is making strides with Chromebooks and Google Docs, Sheets, Drive, etc. This is what Apple needs to address and are starting to with the latest release this month. MS this is the nail in their coffin.

Guess you know where I fall
The bolded items, are just not true. Your opinion is not truth
My observation / opinion. Prove me wrong
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 01:50 PM   #69
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck fat View Post
They removed the headphone jack so they can sell you a lightning to headphone adapter that doesn't allow you to listen to music and charge at the same time.

Let that sink in a bit.
I have never used the AUX jack on my phone, so does not matter.
Appreciate 1
Cattivo678.00
      09-08-2016, 01:51 PM   #70
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck
masou did you just project the death of Microsoft? I'd argue that's delusional ... MS is far better situated than any other tech company (except arguably Google) given the strategic and tactical shifts they've undertaken in the past three years.

As for the iPhone 7, interested in what Apple devotees think of the elimination of the headphone jack, no quick charge, no wireless charging, and only Apple Pay for proximity payments on a flagship 2017 phone.
I wouldn't say I'm a devotee, but the simple fact remains I'm not a fan of android and I don't share your optimism with MS... I find their mobile software antiquated and not as stable...
As far as iOS is involved - when most companies nowadays supply apple products for their own company property, it's extremely difficult to avoid... Try finding a job in tech where they don't hand you an iMac, MacBook and or an iPhone on your first day...

I also have thousands of songs in my iTunes so it's more about it being streamlined... Lesser of more evils so to speak... MacBook iTunes to iPhone just makes life easier...

With that said, I miss my blackberry...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 02:03 PM   #71
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
It absolutely is true wrt Microsoft products, particularly OS

The problem in general is that your admins/low level users of computers can barely operate winders let alone handle a transition to Linux/Mac

Combine that with the fact that there are a significant number of business applications only written for Windows and you get a clear idea of how difficult it is to move off the platform

M$ going to a subscription service will drive a lot of companies over the edge and move an increasing % of endpoints and servers to non windows solutions

The big problem is not only end user education but getting IT staff that can support nix/mac
IT, in most cases, is more concerned with security and control. Windows is going to provide this far better than Apple/Google.

If the numbers are any indication, customers are LOVING the Microsoft subscription model.

In terms of platform, Microsoft has made huge strides in making their products available to all platforms, including iOS and Google.

As far as third party apps, Microsoft is not to blame if companies are making their products for the vast majority. Which is partially why Windows Mobile failed is due to the fact that no one made apps for a small population of devices.
      09-08-2016, 02:09 PM   #72
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
Size does matter. In my case, I don't like it too big because I have small hands. I like to have a good grip on it and also fit it in my pocket.
I am kind of surprised this comment isn't getting more attention here in the OT. People must be busy today.
      09-08-2016, 02:11 PM   #73
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
My observation / opinion. Prove me wrong
Business wants windows 10.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...Sj83FgABkKb.97

Ipad sales dropping in favor of PC based devices.

https://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=prUS40990116
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/16...hool-promo.htm

Microsoft leads Google in adoption.

http://www.computerweekly.com/news/4...search-reveals
      09-08-2016, 02:12 PM   #74
E90bedi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post
Anyone else going to snag a new iPhone 7? If so, which model/color are you going to get and why?

I personally am upgrading my 6 to a 7+ in Matte Black to take advantage of the bigger screen size and better camera features.
I might get the iphone 7+, coming from a 6. But i have heard rumors on a totally redesigned iphone 8 coming 2017 fall.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 02:19 PM   #75
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
IT, in most cases, is more concerned with security and control. Windows is going to provide this far better than Apple/Google.

If the numbers are any indication, customers are LOVING the Microsoft subscription model.

In terms of platform, Microsoft has made huge strides in making their products available to all platforms, including iOS and Google.

As far as third party apps, Microsoft is not to blame if companies are making their products for the vast majority. Which is partially why Windows Mobile failed is due to the fact that no one made apps for a small population of devices.
Hate to break it to you but the business as a whole isnt interested in moving the cheese for productive employees

W10 brings very little to the table over W7

Mac and Linux (to a lesser degree) bring to the table solutions that are stable and dont require anywhere near the effort to support in terms of life cycle, patching and overall vulnerabilities

The only people interested in W10 are execs who want newest flashy toys like Surface Pro 4......<yawn>
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #76
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck fat View Post
They removed the headphone jack so they can sell you a lightning to headphone adapter that doesn't allow you to listen to music and charge at the same time.

Let that sink in a bit.
Problem already solved by various BT headphones...adapter is only for those w/now legacy headphone

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 02:23 PM   #77
RJ_
Baby-faced Assassin
No_Country
Rep
Drives: when car isn't broke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
I also have thousands of songs in my iTunes so it's more about it being streamlined... Lesser of more evils so to speak... MacBook iTunes to iPhone just makes life easier...

"Their software makes it difficult to manage my library, so I'm stuck continuing to use their products."
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 02:24 PM   #78
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
Really you're referencing a MS blog as proof.

Tell that to Veeva and Salesforce

Where? Not in K-12. Not anymore. Or at least not in our school district.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 02:24 PM   #79
TBN54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08' E92 335 -> 17' F30 340i

Still on my Motorola Razr.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 02:24 PM   #80
RJ_
Baby-faced Assassin
No_Country
Rep
Drives: when car isn't broke.

Quote:
Problem already solved by various BT headphones...adapter is only for those w/now legacy headphone

Has it even been announced if they're staying bluetooth compatible? I thought they went to some internally developed protocol.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 02:28 PM   #81
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
It absolutely is true wrt Microsoft products, particularly OS

The problem in general is that your admins/low level users of computers can barely operate winders let alone handle a transition to Linux/Mac

Combine that with the fact that there are a significant number of business applications only written for Windows and you get a clear idea of how difficult it is to move off the platform

M$ going to a subscription service will drive a lot of companies over the edge and move an increasing % of endpoints and servers to non windows solutions

The big problem is not only end user education but getting IT staff that can support nix/mac
ding, ding, ding and we have a winner folks.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 02:31 PM   #82
backhill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 & 2015 Sierra HD

Great features, but other than the camera, the rest is not worth spending money for the upgrade. I don't photograph enough to care for a camera better than my 6S+, and what's more, anyone who does I would hope has something more substantive in their arsenal.

The water resistance is intriguing, but again, I take enough care not to get the phone wet.

I feel this phone is a step back in terms of ease of use, specifically regarding the 3.5mm jack. It's old tech and needed to go, but Apple has gone about it the wrong way. My biggest gripe is that to swap between a Mac and iPhone headphones will now require an adapter dongle, because Courage. If I want to stick with beats that have lighting, I have to get a dongle to get the lighting to go into the USB C port on a PC, or yet a second dongle to go into a 3.5mm jack. Regardless, a dongle will be required if you use headphones for anything but the phone itself. I get what they're doing, but Apple's mantra of having the most user friendly and customer focused hardware/software has veered in a big way. Now it's just more shit one will need to carry.

Or even further, I can't simultaneously charge and listen to music/be on the phone unless I'm using bluetooth, which is far less clear than the direct connection. The AirPods only sync with Apple products, making them questionable at best for anyone that doesn't own everything Apple. They look sharp, but for $160, it's a stretch. They should have packaged them into the overall iPhone package that you purchase instead of an add-on. At that price point, one can toss in a few more dollars and get a much better Bluetooth set that is similarly fully wireless, and can operate across multiple hardware platforms.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 02:39 PM   #83
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhill
Great features, but other than the camera, the rest is not worth spending money for the upgrade. I don't photograph enough to care for a camera better than my 6S+, and what's more, anyone who does I would hope has something more substantive in their arsenal.

The water resistance is intriguing, but again, I take enough care not to get the phone wet.

I feel this phone is a step back in terms of ease of use, specifically regarding the 3.5mm jack. It's old tech and needed to go, but Apple has gone about it the wrong way. My biggest gripe is that to swap between a Mac and iPhone headphones will now require an adapter dongle, because Courage. If I want to stick with beats that have lighting, I have to get a dongle to get the lighting to go into the USB C port on a PC, or yet a second dongle to go into a 3.5mm jack. Regardless, a dongle will be required if you use headphones for anything but the phone itself. I get what they're doing, but Apple's mantra of having the most user friendly and customer focused hardware/software has veered in a big way. Now it's just more shit one will need to carry.

Or even further, I can't simultaneously charge and listen to music/be on the phone unless I'm using bluetooth, which is far less clear than the direct connection. The AirPods only sync with Apple products, making them questionable at best for anyone that doesn't own everything Apple. They look sharp, but for $160, it's a stretch. They should have packaged them into the overall iPhone package that you purchase instead of an add-on. At that price point, one can toss in a few more dollars and get a much better Bluetooth set that is similarly fully wireless, and can operate across multiple hardware platforms.
I'm with you on the phone... Besides some purty black colors I don't know it's that much of a leap from the 6S... The plus maybe for the camera for those bloggers or whatnot... Or the increased memory...

But, the EarPods? I think they are actually reasonably priced for an Apple product... I like how it syncs automatically to your phone the minute you open the lid... I only use my headphones now with my iPhone as it is, and it's used on the airplane and in the gym... All my Bluetooth headsets are a pain, separate charger required and something extra to carry... This thing will charge with my lightning cable? Pairs instantly and I can also use it to talk on the phone? Has lots of cool features that competitors charge more for... Will definitely take these for a spin...

Not fond of it looking like this however...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 02:43 PM   #84
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90bedi View Post
I might get the iphone 7+, coming from a 6. But i have heard rumors on a totally redesigned iphone 8 coming 2017 fall.
Same, gonna go with the yearly upgrade plan so I can get the 8 then decide to continue or just pay off the 8 fully and keep it
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 02:45 PM   #85
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_
Quote:

[IMG]http://media.gadgetsin.com/2015/08/a...adphones_2.jpg[/IMG]
Has it even been announced if they're staying bluetooth compatible? I thought they went to some internally developed protocol.
I believe you're referring to this...

"Apple will likely have its own-designed Bluetooth-like communication chip and launch own-brand Bluetooth headphones targeting the high-end market,

...snip...

With its own custom "Bluetooth-like" chip, Kuo believes Apple could use proprietary low-power wireless communications for other functions beyond headphones, including smart home accessories and an intelligent automobile.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 02:47 PM   #86
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
I wouldn't say I'm a devotee, but the simple fact remains I'm not a fan of android and I don't share your optimism with MS... I find their mobile software antiquated and not as stable...
As far as iOS is involved - when most companies nowadays supply apple products for their own company property, it's extremely difficult to avoid... Try finding a job in tech where they don't hand you an iMac, MacBook and or an iPhone on your first day...

I tell my people they can get what every phone they want, but if it's not an iPhone, don't come to me for set up help or any issues you have. I don't need to customize my screen, app tiles, and all that shit. I done growed up several years ago and just want a device that works and for me, iPhones work.
omasou2076.00
MKSixer34171.50
mc-m3204.00
      09-08-2016, 02:55 PM   #87
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Now you can turn your iPhone 6 into an iPhone 7 with this simple device:

http://appleplugs.com/
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 02:56 PM   #88