New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

View Poll Results: Are you getting an iPhone 7?
Yes - iPhone 7 67 23.26%
Yes - iPhone 7+ 86 29.86%
Nope 135 46.88%
Voters: 288. You may not vote on this poll

09-08-2016, 10:12 AM   #23
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

The 7+ is going to be a game changing device for photography in the mobile world.

It's still not going to be a DSLR, but 2X optical zoom and dual camera can do a LOT more than your standard single cell phone camera.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 10:19 AM   #24
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 AW M340xi

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
The 7+ is going to be a game changing device for photography in the mobile world.

It's still not going to be a DSLR, but 2X optical zoom and dual camera can do a LOT more than your standard single cell phone camera.
I agree...I already love my 6 camera, so I am really looking forward to having the 7+ camera.

Some things for me related to the camera and size:
- Ability to take RAW photos/edit RAW photos on the device
- 2x optical isn't mind blowing, but definitely a nice touch
- Depth of field will be great for when I don't feel like lugging around the real camera
- 4k video (don't have this with my current 6)
- Bigger screen for my drone. I don't own an iPad so this will be a welcome addition when flying my drone for photo/video
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 10:22 AM   #25
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by masou View Post
I may skip this one and wait for 7S or 7S+.
The next one is definitely going to be a game-changer from what I've been reading (10th yr anniversary). That's why I am going to switch from the 2 year contract to the yearly upgrade so I can take advantage of that. If the phone is that amazing next year I will just keep that one for a few years.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 10:28 AM   #26
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

I have an HTC M8, I plan on going back to Apple after I'm done with this one. I'll probably just go with a 6 or 6+, the 7 is nice but definitely not compelling enough for me to spend that much money on it.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 10:28 AM   #27
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_G View Post
im the same, just got a new 6s on my insurance and could sell it to get the new one like i usually do, but just not wowed by the iphone 7

next year is the iphones 10th anaversary so im hoping for big things this time next year
Agreed, the difference between the 6s and 7 is nominal. 6 to 7 is definitely worth it in my opinion (speed, camera, battery, 3D touch, water res, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
I like the size of the smaller iPhone; it's almost perfect for me. Don't need a bigger display than what it has.

But, I refuse to buy the overpriced turds manufacturers are selling. 800 bucks for a damn cell phone? No, thanks.
Unfortunately cell phones have always been that price, we have just been subject to two year contract subsidies which are now going away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
Its truly unbelievable how many people are some how personally invested in the choice of a freakin' phone

Its a TOOL for gods sake.......not a lifestyle
I don't fully agree with you on this take. If you felt this way you might argue you could have just purchased a Kia instead of a BMW. Both are tools to get your from point A to point B. However, the BMW is exponentially more fun, is faster, has more features, looks better, etc. So a lot of thought goes into the decision to buy one. Same can be said for a phone in my opinion. Back in the days of flip phones, I would agree with you. However, with so many advances in technology, phones have become a lifestyle device and not just one to make calls.
Appreciate 1
VRG_135836.50
      09-08-2016, 10:28 AM   #28
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

Quote:

Huh? "Game changing". It might be the best camera that Apple's put on a phone, but until anyone's compared it to the real world performance of gems like the S7, Z5, or the V10 ... no one has any real idea. Camera performance is about a lot more than specs on the page and Apple has never led the pack in actual real world performance and I'll believe when I see it.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 10:30 AM   #29
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
I like the size of the 5 so I'll be waiting to see if there will be a baby 7 that small next spring.
It's called the 6SE
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 10:33 AM   #30
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

And everyone who is buying a new one, post up your 1 year old phones here. LOL
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 10:34 AM   #31
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:

I have the 6S+ and the camera is fine. Saying 7+ is a game changer is a bit of a stretch.

I do like the new home button and water resistance but not enough to make me switch now. I like the changes introduced w/the S cycle.

I started buying the phone outright. All other options are just a payment plan and the only one that may appeal is Apple upgrade plan but you have to pay for the AppleCare.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 10:38 AM   #32
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by masou
Quote:

I have the 6S+ and the camera is fine. Saying 7+ is a game changer is a bit of a stretch.

I do like the new home button and water resistance but not enough to make me switch now. I like the changes introduced w/the S cycle.

I started buying the phone outright. All other options are just a payment plan and the only one that may appeal is Apple upgrade plan but you have to pay for the AppleCare.
Yeah I don't know the 7+ camera is a game changer, but they did throw out all the bells and whistles - that have already been out for other manufacturers... That's kind of apples gimmick now though... Take existing innovations and just gussy it up, make it prettier and fancier...

I think the apple upgrade program is worth it - IMO, if you need to upgrade every year... The fact they throw in apple care + is kind of key... I broke / shattered the glass on about six or seven iPhone6's so lemme tell you how that will pay for itself...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 10:47 AM   #33
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
Yeah I don't know the 7+ camera is a game changer, but they did throw out all the bells and whistles - that have already been out for other manufacturers... That's kind of apples gimmick now though... Take existing innovations and just gussy it up, make it prettier and fancier...
I don't think that's it. I think Apple at its best took the innovation of others and made it accessible to everyone in a totally imaginative way. That was the secret of the success of the iPod, the first few gens of the iPhone, and the iPad.

The biggest problem they face is that they no longer even excel at that. Google does. Microsoft has completely pivoted as an organization and both innovates and makes things accessible. Same with Samsung (although they continue to have significant QC issues at times). Apple's lost and they are the Microsoft of 6 years ago ... using gimmicks to maintain they're blindly loyal user base. IMO, the window to reverse that is closing fast. Not many companies can pull off the kind of turnaround that MS has in the past three years and I don't see any evidence that Apple even understand the straits they're in.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 10:51 AM   #34
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I'll pass

- Camera on my 6 is fine, never been like damn that's a horrible picture, wish I had more megapixels.
- Speed on my 6 is fine, never feels slow.
- I've only dropped 1 phone in water in my years of phone ownership, it was fine anyways.

I like apple products but I think they have been slacking lately and not really innovating very much. Just milking the same stuff for all it's worth. IMO this is one of the least interesting iphone releases.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 10:51 AM   #35
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
I don't think that's it. I think Apple at its best took the innovation of others and made it accessible to everyone in a totally imaginative way. That was the secret of the success of the iPod, the first few gens of the iPhone, and the iPad.
Apple doesn't release until the tech is there to support the capability and support it well.

Others are rushing and releasing capabilities in an attempt to say they are innovating but ultimately fail, but I really don't want to digress into an iOS vs. Android discussion.
Appreciate 1
VRG_135836.50
      09-08-2016, 10:53 AM   #36
crbalch
The Schwab
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Quote:
I agree that the phrase game changer is loose in this aspect, but the capabilities of the 7+ are much better than that of the 6S+. Depth of field and even a hint of optical zoom put it above the 6S+ by a fair amount in my opinion. Is it worth an upgrade for you? Hell no. But, you can't say that these features aren't great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
The first to market argument isn't the right way to think about tech. Someone is always going to figure out how to do something first. It's the people that take that and make it better that win out. You see it in apps, you see it in hardware, you see it in cars, etc. Being first doesn't necessarily make you the best.

Apple definitely lags a bit because they can (market share, revenue, etc.). Other manufacturers are trying to eat that market share by being first to market. While I don't agree with Apples method as a consumer, it makes sense from a business perspective.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 11:07 AM   #37
shoei
Banned
Rep

Aahhhh, I see the issue here... First off, when did I say they don't make it to market first? That's not the issue... The issue is they are third or fourth or other companies have been doing it for a couple of cycles now... Case in point? You're ooh'ing and awh'ing about the dual cameras... Shits been out for awhile now... And other companies have higher pixel rate... And it's flush within the body of the cell phone and doesn't protrude...

Point is, I'm using an iPhone 6S right now to type this... It is okay if we don't feel your same compassion for Apple or feel that your words of "game changer" for mobile phones was a but of a stretch... I'm entitled to my opinion and it still stands... The issue isn't apple not being first to market (thanks for the business 101 lesson, lol) the issue is they are perpetually late, so late that what they roll out is cycles old for other companies... But people (case in point here would be you) forget that and start touting "game changer" when it's already been done for quite some time now by multiple companies... Even cheaper Chinese brands...

Next year they will have a curved / edge screen and you will be back saying its a game changer, but samsungs already been doing it for 3 cycles of their phone already...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 11:10 AM   #38
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
I would rather be set on fire by a Note 7.

VRG_135836.50
      09-08-2016, 11:12 AM   #39
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron
I would rather be set on fire by a Note 7.

Okay that was pretty funny, lol...

Terrible PR for Samsung however...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 11:13 AM   #40
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei
Aahhhh, I see the issue here... First off, when did I say they don't make it to market first? That's not the issue... The issue is they are third or fourth or other companies have been doing it for a couple of cycles now... Case in point? You're ooh'ing and awh'ing about the dual cameras... Shits been out for awhile now... And other companies have higher pixel rate... And it's flush within the body of the cell phone and doesn't protrude...

Point is, I'm using an iPhone 6S right now to type this... It is okay if we don't feel your same compassion for Apple or feel that your words of "game changer" for mobile phones was a but of a stretch... I'm entitled to my opinion and it still stands... The issue isn't apple not being first to market (thanks for the business 101 lesson, lol) the issue is they are perpetually late, so late that what they roll out is cycles old for other companies... But people (case in point here would be you) forget that and start touting "game changer" when it's already been done for quite some time now by multiple companies... Even cheaper Chinese brands...

Next year they will have a curved / edge screen and you will be back saying its a game changer, but samsungs already been doing it for 3 cycles of their phone already...
Curved edge? Fuck, that'd be sweet. Maybe removable media and a standard charging port. Now THAT would be game changing.
      09-08-2016, 11:15 AM   #41
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl
Quote:

Curved edge? Fuck, that'd be sweet. Maybe removable media and a standard charging port. Now THAT would be game changing.
Don't forget wireless charging... And waterproof...
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 11:18 AM   #42
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbalch View Post
I agree that the phrase game changer is loose in this aspect, but the capabilities of the 7+ are much better than that of the 6S+. Depth of field and even a hint of optical zoom put it above the 6S+ by a fair amount in my opinion. Is it worth an upgrade for you? Hell no. But, you can't say that these features aren't great.
My bad. I had mis-read the iPhone 6S+ specs. It has Optical image stabilization (iPhone 6s Plus only) not Optical zoom. Yes, that is nice.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 11:20 AM   #43
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Apple doesn't release until the tech is there to support the capability and support it well.

Others are rushing and releasing capabilities in an attempt to say they are innovating but ultimately fail, but I really don't want to digress into an iOS vs. Android discussion.
I don't think that's accurate at all. Samsung, LG, MS, Google, etc. hardly fail. That's not an iOS vs. Android discussion, that's across all the market that they're in. Smartwatches are a great example. The MS Band or the Samsung S1/S2 line (neither of which are Android) are far more compelling and better performing products. And, they were to market before Apple. iOS has lagged behind Android for several release cycles now. And, OSX against Windows 10? While Windows has traditionally been a better fit for enterprise and productivity, it is now the best and most usable OS for almost every general purpose (there are some specialty areas where Mac still has an edge). In that space, you can clearly see just how lost Apple has become.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 11:24 AM   #44
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Don't forget wireless charging... And waterproof...
Well, let's not get to Sci-fi up in this piece.