New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Watches

08-15-2016, 06:45 AM   #1
nmehta211
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3

I'm really bummed.

I noticed yesterday that my JLC master geographic is missing from my apartment. I stored my watches together in a watch winder--but the other watches (a Rolex date just and a omega seamaster. )

What is strange is that not only is my watch gone, but my box for the watch, stored elsewhere in a closet, is also missing. I just can't figure out why.

I have a nanny every day in the home and maintenance workers come in periodically.

I figure next step is to file a police report. And then claim on insurance.

I don't have a specific insurance but do have renters insurance that will cover $1500.

What watch would you suggest in a <$10,000 range? I am tempted to get the watch again because I liked it before but also am thinking maybe another brand. Iwc? Vacheron? Looking for something dressy-white face, with a leather band.

08 E90 M3 Interlagos Blue
99 E36 M3 Cosmos, #2--Sold
99 E36 M3 Cosmos, #1--Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 06:58 AM   #2
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

You need an Rolex Explorer II white dial, believe me.

And probably an an Omega man on the moon.
These watches are a must!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 08:09 AM   #3
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmehta211 View Post
I'm really bummed.

I noticed yesterday that my JLC master geographic is missing from my apartment. I stored my watches together in a watch winder--but the other watches (a Rolex date just and a omega seamaster. )

What is strange is that not only is my watch gone, but my box for the watch, stored elsewhere in a closet, is also missing. I just can't figure out why.

I have a nanny every day in the home and maintenance workers come in periodically.

I don't have a specific insurance but do have renters insurance that will cover $1500.

What watch would you suggest in a <$10,000 range? I am tempted to get the watch again because I liked it before but also am thinking maybe another brand. Iwc? Vacheron? Looking for something dressy-white face, with a leather band.
If you are thinking Vacheron for under $10K, then you will need to go vintage or somewhat older pre-owned. If you go that route, hit me up - I can help you validate authenticity - or at least matching movement and case.
      08-15-2016, 08:26 AM   #4
nmehta211
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl
Quote:
I'm really bummed.

If you are thinking Vacheron for under $10K, then you will need to go vintage or somewhat older pre-owned. If you go that route, hit me up - I can help you validate authenticity - or at least matching movement and case.
Hmm never went pre owned. How does JLC compare? I guess it is matter of personal taste as well but how does a grey market JLC compare to a pre owned vacheron in terms of value and appreciation?

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 09:25 AM   #5
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Hmm never went pre owned. How does JLC compare? I guess it is matter of personal taste as well but how does a grey market JLC compare to a pre owned vacheron in terms of value and appreciation?
Appreciation is very hard to predict. In general, Vacheron is a more "high end" brand. All of their in-house movements are Geneva-sealed, but many pre-owned and vintage do not have in house - this is a newer thing for most manufacturers. Outsourced ebauches were de rigueur for most of watchmakings history. Vacherons are rarer and finished to a higher level. They are both divisions of Richemont, with Vacheron being the "top" of the pure horologerie food chain for Richemonte. Cartier and Van Cleef and Arpels are also Richemont, but more jewelry focused and Panerai is Richemont also, but more niche focused. The "holy trinity" for watchmaking, historically, has been Patek, Vacheron and Audemars.

It all depends what you are looking for in a watch. JLC are great and they manufactured a LOT of the ebauches for other manufacturers for a very long time. When Swatch Group bought up ETA and many other brands and stopped selling the movements, the in house movement took off.
      08-15-2016, 10:26 AM   #6
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Sorry to hear about it , perhaps you may recover it .
As for your suggestion , I would recommend you Tissot World Timer or Longines under 10K with leather band .
That name may not be appealing ,but the former one is a decent brand believe in me .
I would highly recommend you Vacheron's entry model Quai De i'Ile but it retails around $14.500
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 11:48 AM   #7
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
I'm really bummed.

You've got a watch box with JLC, Rolex, and Omega on-hand in an apartment with at least one standard visitor and a handful of others and presumably a landlord with the ability to enter at any time....

May I suggest investing first and foremost in a basic safe? Protect from fire, flood (which can be sprinkler systems), and of course theft.

Assuming you have no large items to store, a really good basic safe for these things can be $500. It's an investment for life though, so I recommend not cheaping out on it and also go with a mechanical lock. This is a high-end model, but what I'm picturing - you also put a few bolts through it into the wall or floor ideally. http://www.deansafe.com/amc-blb2018.html#description2
      08-15-2016, 12:14 PM   #8
nmehta211
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA
Quote:
I'm really bummed.

You've got a watch box with JLC, Rolex, and Omega on-hand in an apartment with at least one standard visitor and a handful of others and presumably a landlord with the ability to enter at any time....

May I suggest investing first and foremost in a basic safe? Protect from fire, flood (which can be sprinkler systems), and of course theft.

Assuming you have no large items to store, a really good basic safe for these things can be $500. It's an investment for life though, so I recommend not cheaping out on it and also go with a mechanical lock. This is a high-end model, but what I'm picturing - you also put a few bolts through it into the wall or floor ideally. http://www.deansafe.com/amc-blb2018.html#description2
Trust me. I was thinking about a safe for a while. Just one of those things we talk about and procrastinated. Considering my wife's possessions and important paperwork, it would be worth having.

Thanks for the tip.

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2016, 08:03 AM   #9
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
I have found the watch I would buy for sub-$10k (barely). I will send in PM, since it is a link to a seller. It is a pre-owned VC Gen 2 Overseas Deepstream. If I were in the market for this type of watch right now, I would buy this piece in a heartbeat.
      08-23-2016, 09:16 PM   #10
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Considering selling my JLC Master Chronograph. Let me know if interested.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8679.50
      09-29-2016, 11:06 AM   #11
nmehta211
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI
Considering selling my JLC Master Chronograph. Let me know if interested.
Yes could you pm details?

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 12:39 AM   #12
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

@OP, that sucks man.

Too late to say it probably and doh, but be careful wo you're letting into your appartment .

... Tell me about it...

^^^ That silverdial chrono is a very nice one

*Still feeling sorry for selling his Memovox Tribute to Polaris a few years ago*

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 02:21 PM   #13
wspohn
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

I tend to buy and wear vintage JLC like the 1950s Memovox and Futurematic, but one brand you might look at (it is often overlooked) is IWC.

BTW, I wouldn't classify watch collecting as an 'investment' unless you get unusually lucky......

Vintage JLC:

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2016, 02:40 AM   #14
MaxM3F80
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3,F80

Quote:
I'm really bummed.

sorry to hear it ,,,you should have rent insurance cover 25k up not $1500 only
Appreciate 0