New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

09-29-2016, 05:00 AM   #23
mantis
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Garage List
2011 e90  [5.50]
know your body type, know your hormone levels, understand your electrolyte managements, count your caloric intake.

theres so much to physique training and body sculpting its crazy

be realistic with your goals and understand why you have limitations.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 05:01 AM   #24
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Wow I'm overwhelmed by the amount of replies here! I appreciate all of the input. I will definitely take some of the suggestions into consideration and change things up a bit. For starters, I'll play around with my diet a little bit and change up the Cardio regimen a bit to be more intense and longer. HIIT is the way to go. Sleeping a little more would be beneficial too.
It's your call, but you're about to double down on cardio, when it's already not working out for you. I've managed to lose fat this way in the past, and it obviously works for a lot of people, but you're fighting your own body. It's so much time and effort, and all this exercise adds to your stress and chronic inflammation, which I'm sure won't help with the exams. You're taking a brute force approach, where you could use the latest research and science to make your body do most of the work for you.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 05:02 AM   #25
mantis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 e90  [5.50]
study ketosis and train early, avoid catabolism, stay anabolic
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 05:06 AM   #26
mantis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 e90  [5.50]
know what foods to eat to promote what you want

white button mushrooms boost free testosterone naturally, this creates more atp which fuels the body. for example
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 08:56 AM   #27
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by antych View Post
That's just being "skinny". What does low amount of muscle have to do with being fat? This term is specifically used for people with visceral (hidden) fat. It's to highlight the fact that some seemingly skinny people suffer from metabolic syndrome, while an obese person with mostly subcutaneous fat can remain healthy.

Yes, but no one is telling him to stop lifting. There are just better ways to cut than being hungry and doing cardio. If you have to do cardio because you eat too much, the obvious conclusion is to eat less, even children would comprehend that.
to your 1st point, if you have a low % of lean body mass, what do you think is taking up the rest of the % of your mass? Again, there is being skinny and there is being cut. They are not one in the same.

to your 2nd point, Im pretty sure everyone has told him to watch what he is eating and to track his intake. The thing is, to cut quickly and efficiently, you need to either severly restrict your intake, which leads to less energy and muscle loss, or use a workout regimen that puts you into a calorie deficit, while still getting the fuel to keep your muscle and strength up.

I know you are going to argue with me on this that all he needs to do is go Keto; thats your answer for everything, but trust me on this. Ive been going though cutting and bulking cycles for over a decade now. This isnt a "I want to lose 10 lbs, how should i do it?" this is a "I want to get cut, how should i do it?". There is a difference.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 09:24 AM   #28
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
to your 1st point, if you have a low % of lean body mass, what do you think is taking up the rest of the % of your mass? Again, there is being skinny and there is being cut. They are not one in the same.

to your 2nd point, Im pretty sure everyone has told him to watch what he is eating and to track his intake. The thing is, to cut quickly and efficiently, you need to either severly restrict your intake, which leads to less energy and muscle loss, or use a workout regimen that puts you into a calorie deficit, while still getting the fuel to keep your muscle and strength up.

I know you are going to argue with me on this that all he needs to do is go Keto; thats your answer for everything, but trust me on this. Ive been going though cutting and bulking cycles for over a decade now. This isnt a "I want to lose 10 lbs, how should i do it?" this is a "I want to get cut, how should i do it?". There is a difference.
I know the difference between skinny and cut/muscular. I was explaining to you what "skinny fat" means.

You're wrong about calorie restriction leading to less energy and muscle loss. It really depends how you do it. If you run on carbs, yes you will suffer if you restrict them. If you run on fat, you won't because you have so much of it stored around your body. High fat diet tends to preserve protein, so you will not lose muscle, even at a calorie deficit. You need to keep lifting, but the muscle loss from inactivity is much slower than most people think. It will happen much quicker through catabolism because of dieting on a carb rich diet.

I'm not saying he needs keto, I'm just saying it's the most efficient way. I can't trust you, because I've been going through this twice as long as you did and I know the science, where you don't. I used to bulk up and cut the old school way, and I got a lot leaner a lot quicker after attempting the same with keto.

There is a difference, true. But the difference is between ignorance and knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 09:48 AM   #29
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I know the difference between skinny and cut/muscular. I was explaining to you what "skinny fat" means.

You're wrong about calorie restriction leading to less energy and muscle loss. It really depends how you do it. If you run on carbs, yes you will suffer if you restrict them. If you run on fat, you won't because you have so much of it stored around your body. High fat diet tends to preserve protein, so you will not lose muscle, even at a calorie deficit. You need to keep lifting, but the muscle loss from inactivity is much slower than most people think. It will happen much quicker through catabolism because of dieting on a carb rich diet.

I'm not saying he needs keto, I'm just saying it's the most efficient way. I can't trust you, because I've been going through this twice as long as you did and I know the science, where you don't. I used to bulk up and cut the old school way, and I got a lot leaner a lot quicker after attempting the same with keto.

There is a difference, true. But the difference is between ignorance and knowledge.

We get it. Keto is the only way to do anything...

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 10:27 AM   #30
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
We get it. Keto is the only way to do anything...
I see it didn't take long for you to go full retard in this thread as well. I know it hurts being wrong every time. Deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 01:53 PM   #31
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I see it didn't take long for you to go full retard in this thread as well. I know it hurts being wrong every time. Deal with it.
there you go...

good talk
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 02:17 PM   #32
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Cardio is never a bad thing.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 03:40 PM   #33
mantis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 e90  [5.50]
mesomorph and endomorph body types are harder to get cutting going
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 05:30 PM   #34
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kprocivic View Post
Cardio is never a bad thing.
Too much of anything can be a bad thing. It's also about cost vs benefit.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 05:33 PM   #35
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Too much of anything can be a bad thing. It's also about cost vs benefit.
Lol your one of those heh. To each their own.
Appreciate 1
csu872132.00
      09-29-2016, 05:39 PM   #36
mantis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 e90  [5.50]
Quote:
do you know what catabolism is? do you understand if youre not anabolic while cutting that you ARE burning muscle for fuel

so yeah too much cardio can be a bad thing.

and to the OP if your hormone profile sucks you will stay a pudgy man. period no ifs and or buts about it!
Appreciate 1
csu872132.00
      09-29-2016, 05:40 PM   #37
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
You've never heard of overtraining and injuries (runners knee etc)... you're one of those then.
Appreciate 1
mantis276.00
      09-29-2016, 06:36 PM   #38
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Lol i get it, there is such a thing as over training, but cardio is fucking amazing in 100 ways. I'm drunk I'll be back when sober.
Appreciate 1
csu872132.00
      09-30-2016, 07:15 AM   #39
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Update guys...

Instead of just running at 7-8 mph for 10 mins, I've started an HIIT routine and definitely feel a difference after my workout. I'll full on sprint for a minute, then speed walk for a minute, and keep doing that for like 5-6 cycles. I lift before Cardio but don't do as many sets...maybe 2-3 instead of 3-4. My workout doesn't take any longer, but boy is it more intense.

Also stopped eating plain oatmeal (w/ water) as my 5 p.m. snack as oats are filled w/ carbs and spike insulin. That was probably my most unhealthy snack of the day, as otherwise I just have protein shakes, protein bars, greek yogurt, and fruits. Switched over to a slice of Ezekiel bread w/ 1/2 an Avocado instead of the oats. This bread has a very low glycemic index compared to normal organic wheat bread.

I'll report how I feel in a few days. Thanks again for the suggestions.

Last edited by Germanauto; 09-30-2016 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 07:29 AM   #40
mantis
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 e90  [5.50]
Quote:
Update guys...

Instead of just running at 7-8 mph for 10 mins, I've started an HIIT routine and definitely feel a difference after my workout. I'll full on sprint for a minute, then speed walk for a minute, and keep doing that for like 5-6 cycles. My workout doesn't take any longer, but boy is it more intense.

Also stopped eating plain oatmeal (w/ water) as my 5 p.m. snack as oats are filled w/ carbs and spike insulin. That was probably my most unhealthy snack of the day, as otherwise I just have protein shakes, protein bars, greek yogurt, and fruits. Switched over to a slice of Ezekiel bread w/ 1/2 an Avocado instead of the oats. This bread has a very low glycemic index compared to normal organic wheat bread.

wheatbelly?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 09:11 AM   #41
csu87
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Update guys...

Instead of just running at 7-8 mph for 10 mins, I've started an HIIT routine and definitely feel a difference after my workout. I'll full on sprint for a minute, then speed walk for a minute, and keep doing that for like 5-6 cycles. I lift before Cardio but don't do as many sets...maybe 2-3 instead of 3-4. My workout doesn't take any longer, but boy is it more intense.

Good stuff. Stick to it for a little while (1-2 months) and then measure your results. The thing that I see a lot of guys do when they first start cutting is weighing/measuring everyday and being disappointed when they dont see immediate results and switch things up.

HIIT is definitely a good way to burn fat and keep up explosiveness for your cardio program. What is your lifting program? Did you increase weight while decreasing reps/sets?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 10:24 AM   #42
antych
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Update guys...

You used to run for just 10 minutes?! That will only burn glucose in your bloodstream, liver and muscle. There's absolutely no fat burning happening in this form of exercise. Fat burning exercise needs to be low in intensity and long in duration. HIIT is great for your overall fitness and cardiovascular health, but if you want to lose fat, go hiking for few hours, or watch tv on a stationary bike. You have to maximise the time you're moving around.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 10:44 AM   #43
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I've been kayaking, hiking and biking to decent success. Leaner but also lost mass and much weaker.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2016, 10:50 AM   #44
csu87
Banned
Rep

All depends on how his body reacts to exercise. Keep in mind he is running AFTER he is lifting, which means he is already burning calories. This is just the icing on the cake to burn even more. Intense, shorter duration workout > low intensity, long duration workout.
Appreciate 0