New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #1
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

AFE Sealed Power Flow Intake Kit - With Pro 5R Filter - Stage 2

Has anyone installed one of these AFE Air Intakes on the N54 engine?
Did you experience the CLAIMED HP increase?
Do these void the warranty or Extended Warranty
Any other comments and or issues associated with the modification?

If you want more power out of your BMW, you need to let more air in! To keep engine noise at an "acceptable" level, BMW encases the stock air filter in a plastic housing -- a housing which restricts airflow into the engine. Installing an aFe Stage 2 intake kit eliminates that housing, allowing more air to enter the engine so it can breathe as deeply as it wants. You get stepped-up performance you can both feel and hear. This kit produces an additional 14 horsepower and 27 foot pounds of torque over stock. Installation for most kits is a simple, bolt-on procedure. Kits include reusable cone air filter, filter mount, bracket, instructions and hardware (where applicable).

15% Off AFE Power Intakes
Part Number Description Price Qty.
54-82002
AFE Sealed Power Flow Intake Kit - With Pro 5 R Filter - Stage 2

ON SALE!
$ 421.55
Reg. $ 495.95
Attached Images

2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #2
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

My understanding is that this type of open filter will cause heat soak and will actually will reduce power, and that money for air intake mods is best spent on front mount intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89(N54)

I think the AFE is not compatible with the Z4 N54 engine layout? Not sure.
For all the mod's on the N54 check the 335 forum first... They did some testing and posted results with various setups. If i recall correctly the AFE didnt make the power advertised.
Technically it doesnt void the warranty but a BMW tech may suggest that its the source of any future problem you might have... Giving you trouble... That's why ALWAYS take your mods off while visiting your dealer.
      12-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

I never understood the point of these open air intakes. The whole point is to get the coolest air possible, but these things suck hot air from the engine compartment. I just don't get why people buy these.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant.S View Post
For all the mod's on the N54 check the 335 forum first... They did some testing and posted results with various setups. If i recall correctly the AFE didnt make the power advertised.
+1 this is great advice

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343619

Post #8 shows the power loss. This is actually the information source for my first post. I was too lazy to dig it up earlier
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
I never understood the point of these open air intakes. The whole point is to get the coolest air possible, but these things suck hot air from the engine compartment. I just don't get why people buy these.
Exactly. Either go CAI or modify the stock box for better air flow.
Some might wanna search the 335 forums for Mr.5 intake. It's a modified stock airbox showing better performance with low IAT's.
      12-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
army_men
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [10.00]
Hot air from open intake is more of a myth than fact. There's a lot of testing on 335 forum, and boxed CAI did not out perform DCI in the results. both are not designed for power gain as stand-alone parts. They just open up potential for higher boost pressures after tuning.

running high enough boost to get actual heat soak is not advisable without a FMIC anyways. slightly higher intake air temperature is a very small issue that doesn't really justify 400 dollars for extra pretty boxes that doesn't do much in test results.
      12-11-2013, 06:12 AM   #8
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

Great input.
+1
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by army_men View Post
Hot air from open intake is more of a myth than fact. There's a lot of testing on 335 forum, and boxed CAI did not out perform DCI in the results. both are not designed for power gain as stand-alone parts. They just open up potential for higher boost pressures after tuning.

running high enough boost to get actual heat soak is not advisable without a FMIC anyways. slightly higher intake air temperature is a very small issue that doesn't really justify 400 dollars for extra pretty boxes that doesn't do much in test results.
Hot air from open intake is definitely not a myth. If the incoming air is not "shielded" somehow against the engine bays high temperature, or guided at least via scoops or ram air system especially with the heat generated on turbo engines, the heat will increase the IAT's, especially in city driving and a very twisty track. If this wasnt the case you would see alot of exotics or factory tuned vehicles (e.g M or AMG) just using open intake systems for their vehicles. Also keep in mind that stable low IAT's are for maping/tuning consistency... Not for glory runs.

I agree with you that the DCI gives potential for more unrestricted air flow in higher boost profiles (although the bottleneck isnt only the intake), but then again in higher boost tuning stages most of the N54's in the 335 forum are also using meth to lower IAT's/compensate for octanes, s basically heatsoak isnt much of a concern at that point.

A larger core intercooler is a MUST on the n54 in my opinion and will also benefit stock tuned cars, especially during summer and warmer climates, as long as the specs are correct and the pressure drop characteristics of the FMIC are correct. So basically you could get a huge intercooler that costs a tone of money and it would perform worst than a smaller intercooler with the correct core design.

Finally, i couldnt agree with you more, spending that insane amount of money on an intake that doesnt perform better than a cheap pair of cone intakes (and sometimes performs worst) is just ridiculous.

Anyway, this is just my opinion and i could be wrong

Last edited by Constant.S; 12-11-2013 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #10
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Point being if you really are interested in a mod, go with an upgraded FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by army_men View Post
running high enough boost to get actual heat soak is not advisable without a FMIC anyways. slightly higher intake air temperature is a very small issue
It is not just high boost.. It is very easy to really heat up a 100% stock car just from driving it hard enough.

IAT along with other high temp I think is more relevant for people who drive hard for extended periods since low IAT are needed to keep the consistency of power under hard use.

If I recall correctly about logs from a stock car you can see the higher IAT followed by lower boost targets and more timing corrections.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #12
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Hot air from open intake is definitely not a myth. If the incoming air is not "shielded" somehow against the engine bays high temperature, or guided at least via scoops or ram air system especially with the heat generated on turbo engines, the heat will increase the IAT's, especially in city driving and a very twisty track. If this wasnt the case you would see alot of exotics or factory tuned vehicles (e.g M or AMG) just using open intake systems for their vehicles. Also keep in mind that stable low IAT's are for maping/tuning consistency... Not for glory runs.

I agree with you that the DCI gives potential for more unrestricted air flow in higher boost profiles (although the bottleneck isnt only the intake), but then again in higher boost tuning stages most of the N54's in the 335 forum are also using meth to lower IAT's/compensate for octanes, s basically heatsoak isnt much of a concern at that point.

A larger core intercooler is a MUST on the n54 in my opinion and will also benefit stock tuned cars, especially during summer and warmer climates, as long as the specs are correct and the pressure drop characteristics of the FMIC are correct. So basically you could get a huge intercooler that costs a tone of money and it would perform worst than a smaller intercooler with the correct core design.

Finally, i couldnt agree with you more, spending that insane amount of money on an intake that doesnt perform better than a cheap pair of cone intakes (and sometimes performs worst) is just ridiculous.

Anyway, this is just my opinion and i could be wrong
What FMIC do you favor for the Z4?

Also, I believe the aFe intake in the OP is a closed-box design. The lid is just removed in the pic.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
What FMIC do you favor for the Z4?

Also, I believe the aFe intake in the OP is a closed-box design. The lid is just removed in the pic.
ER. Very solid and well built. I see @Mike@n54tuning.com has it on special price.
      12-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #14
army_men
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
It is not just high boost.. It is very easy to really heat up a 100% stock car just from driving it hard enough.

IAT along with other high temp I think is more relevant for people who drive hard for extended periods since low IAT are needed to keep the consistency of power under hard use.

If I recall correctly about logs from a stock car you can see the higher IAT followed by lower boost targets and more timing corrections.
Yes I agree. High IAT is an issue that may lower boost targets, and it's not hard to get hot running a stock car.

my opinion is that the after market closed box "CAI" doesn't do much to lower IAT. a FMIC is a better investment than pretty carbon fiber intake boxes.
      12-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #15
Longboard
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Interesting thread but...

The OP is asking about the newer AFE sealed power flow intake. This is a true sealed CAI. It is basically a redesigned stock intake that in thier words increases air flow which increases power.

All he links referenced talk about AFE open hot air duel cone intakes.

So this is not about hot vs. cold but rather cold vs. redesigned cold.

Longboard

Last edited by Longboard; 12-20-2013 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #16
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboard View Post
Interesting thread but...

The OP is asking about the newer AFE sealed power flow intake. This is a true sealed CAI. It is basically a redesigned stock intake that in thier words increases air flow which increases power.

All he links referenced talk about AFE open hot air duel cone intakes.

So this is not about hot vs. cold but rather cold vs. redesigned cold.

Longboard

Hi, thanks for pointing that out

Here's another thread where the sealed intake was dynoed on a full bolt ons car

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=675332&page=4

post #80 has the dyno. The max gain was +9whp at low rpm. No gain after 5500rpm (i.e. no 'peak' hp gain) and gain from 4000rpm and up was neglible.

Not much of a gain if the driver is spending time above 4000rpm (which, if you are trying to go fast, you would be...) but at least it doesn't lose HP like the hot air cone style...
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 04:21 PM   #17
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

lol also search and check out about this particular AFE sealed power intake that people glued the top to make it true sealed intake. Sorry guys, the only intake that i kinda like is the Gruppe M carbon fiber intake system, but for 2.5k usd no way...
http://www.gruppem.co.jp/matching/pr...?goods_id=7646

Last edited by Constant.S; 12-20-2013 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #18
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
lol also search and check out about this particular AFE sealed power intake that people glued the top to make it true sealed intake. Sorry guys, the only intake that i kinda like is the Gruppe M carbon fiber intake system, but for 2.5k usd no way...
http://www.gruppem.co.jp/matching/pr...?goods_id=7646
That looks the same as stock? Did that dyno with a peak power gain?

BTW the product description is so bad it's good

Quote:
A feeling the gain in power. Especially that it can blow going up up to 4,000~7,000rpm is preeminently well. It is all a product made from carbon of a high quality.Everybody can also satisfy and get the force and presence in the engine room when opening a bonnet.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 05:12 PM   #19
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

haha the gain in power... It can blow! Such a feeling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
That looks the same as stock? Did that dyno with a peak power gain?
That's what im saying, stock airbox airflow is sufficient, something good will resemble the size. I have no info about the dyno. All I know Gruppe M is known for great intakes but way overpriced.

Last edited by Constant.S; 12-20-2013 at 05:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #20
Longboard
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Hey I'm just the messenger.

You can go on any site and find this same thread about intakes.Every one has an opinion. The group M is about $2000 over priced. if you lucky you might see more power then the AFE which you can find for $425.

To each there own. I'm a believer it truing things for your self. My Z after a couple mods is great fun to drive with solid power. The handling is OK but it just looks amazing and will still look amazing in 10 years. I isn't the car to go crazy trying to make huge power because the handling will never keep up. Just my opinion.

When I want to scare myself I pull my little race car out of the garage. Stroked 1.7L with 21lb's of Rotrex supercharged power and whole lot more.

Quote:
haha the gain in power... It can blow! Such a feeling!

That's what im saying, stock airbox airflow is sufficient, something good will resemble the size. I have no info about the dyno. All I know Gruppe M is known for great intakes but way overpriced.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 09:34 PM   #21
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

2500lb/330whp

NICE
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 10:47 PM   #22
Longboard
Rep