New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

So That's A New ///M?

Often wondered what we'd have to look forward to if BMW released a Z4 ///M, and I'm little surprised by the engine specs of the 1M noted in the press release yesterday. At least from the power plant, the e89 Z4is tops the horsepower and torque already, but they don't mention overboost so these figures must be available on tap for any duration. The 1M has a few other tricks up it's sleeve as well. Love to see some of these items on a Z4 ///M!

ENGINE/TRANSMISSION:
  • Free revving twin-turbocharged, all aluminum, 3.0L inline 6 cylinder engine, with direct injection
  • 335hp @ 5900rpm
  • 332lb-ft torque from 1500-4500rpm (with +37lb-ft overboost)
  • 7,000 rpm redline
  • 4.7 second 0-60mph / 4.9 second 0-100kmh
  • 13.2 second quarter mile
  • 155mph top speed
  • M Drive button actives razor sharp throttle response program
  • 6-speed manual transmission with dry sump cooling system and 3.15:1 final drive ratio, with M gearshift knob
  • Upgraded flywheel for use with high torque
BRAKES/WHEELS:
  • Brakes from M3 featuring internally-vented, cross drilled cast icon discs – 14.2 inch front, 13.8 inch rear. Each disc is connected to a floating aluminum hub by cast-in stainless-steel pins which reduces the thermal loads on the discs, thus increasing their performance and service life.
  • Dash display brake wear indicator monitors condition of the brake linings.
  • M3 Competition / M3 GTS competition wheels – 19x9” with 245/35/19 tires front and 19x10” w/ 265/35/19 tires rear
  • Rack-and-pinion steering with hydraulic power steering (Servotronic)
M DIFFERENTIAL / TRACTION CONTROL:
  • Variable M differential lock for optimum rear wheel drive traction
  • DSC traction control
  • MDM (M Dynamic Mode) mode allows less intervention from DSC system for more oversteer and maximum performance
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 12-11-2010 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
taYab
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '06 E60 '09 E89 '14 F25

1M engine is basically same as 35is.
I really don't get why BMW release Z4 35is as non-M if they are gonna put this one 1M.
I am feeling we are not gonna see z4 m model any time soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #3
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

+1
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 04:57 AM   #4
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

There will be a Z4M model I am sure - as I have always said. In terms of engines, unless they put in the V8 from the M3 there would be not much point in it (ie: too easy for BMW to up the boost on the N54/N55 - to me that's not a PROPER M car). And this is why the the 35is is not a M car.

Now if BMW put a high revving 6 cylinder in there that *somehow* made more power than the N54 then I would be very, very interested.

There is talk of the Z4M being a fixed roof. If so I predict it will be an extremely attractive car.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 05:37 AM   #5
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
BRAKES/WHEELS:
teagueAMX you forgot to add Michelin Pilot Sport tires (non RFT).

Stiffer springs and roll bar would also sharpen things up.

EdP
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 06:45 AM   #6
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

You want a Z4-M, do the Dinan Stage II software tune. After that, tinker with the brakes, chassis-tuning, and tire-patch. Everything else is optics and badging.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Having driven a M3 and comparing the lines of the new M1 I cannot get excited at all. I have to agree that the technical data is quite impressive, however, looking at the pictures I prefer the Z4 any day. Also the price of over 50K Euro close to $67K I would simply add a few $K and get myself the M3.

I like to see the M1 against the original Z4 M on the track, perhaps Top Gear will do this.

Here is a link to the Photo Gallery Click for Photos 1 to 26

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 03-01-2011 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

The current generation Z4 is a bit too heavy/porky to become a true M car in my opinion (but that hasn't stopped BMW from making M versions of their cars before -- witness the current X5 M, X6 M, and M6, which are in a different category than the more true-to-M M3 coupe and new 1M coupe). I am not sure they can really put the Z4 on a diet without moving completely away from the retractable hardtop (and the whole point of that was to consolidate convertible/coupe options and simplify design/production). So an E89 Z4 M might be more along the lines of the other "glamor" M models. To me, the s35is fills this role already, and then some.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 11:06 AM   #9
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Having driven a M3 and comparing the lines of the new M1 I cannot get excited at all. I have to agree that the technical data is quite impressive, however, looking at the pictures I prefer the Z4 any day. Also the price of over 50K Euro close to $67K I would simply add a few $K and get myself the M3.

I like to see the M1 against the original Z4 M on the track, perhaps Top Gear will do this.

1 series M - just another window dressing M car with a Z435is engine. At least they had the balls to put a MT in it. Save the Manuals! Please don't call it an M1 that is disrespectful to the real M1.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #10
Drjoeb
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Not working for me either. Rather keep my Z should I want a true M car, the M3 will fit the bill. Was actually thinking about trading the Z for an M3, but to be honest I think the Z4 just looks better. I'll wait for either a true Z4M or my current Z4 gets long in the tooth and then get a M3. Either way I'm digging my current ride - just not the weather.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 11:49 AM   #11
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Ducky View Post
You want a Z4-M, do the Dinan Stage II software tune. After that, tinker with the brakes, chassis-tuning, and tire-patch. Everything else is optics and badging.
I totally agree. My personal feeling is the body design of the 1M is rather ugly, but I wouldn't mind taking the gear out of one (drive train, brakes, steering, etc.) and dropping it into a Z4 just for kicks. Then like you say, get a Dinan tune. That would be wild!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Having driven a M3 and comparing the lines of the new M1 I cannot get excited at all. I have to agree that the technical data is quite impressive, however, looking at the pictures I prefer the Z4 any day.
I agree with you Rolf-Dieter, the Z4 body design is far superior to the the 1 series and the 1M.

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #12
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEdP View Post
teagueAMX you forgot to add Michelin Pilot Sport tires (non RFT).

Stiffer springs and roll bar would also sharpen things up.

EdP
+1

Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 01:44 PM   #13
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
1 series M - just another window dressing M car with a Z435is engine. At least they had the balls to put a MT in it. Save the Manuals! Please don't call it an M1 that is disrespectful to the real M1.
Sorry. Right you are I always get the order mixed up (letter before number), lets call it just another typo by the 2 finger typing ex-German

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #14
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The interesting thing is BMW may be using the internal designation M2. In one place I saw it listed as "1M (M2)".

It's going to be really tricky for a lot of people. For those that truly revere the original M1, their teeth will be grinding whenever they hear the less knowledgeable general public call it a M1.

Last edited by teagueAMX; 12-11-2010 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #15
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

I really don't understand the 1 series crowd, they want this little $30k car to somehow be a better car than an M3... No car except M5 or M6 or Z4 can possibly hold that title do to price position. There's no way around it.
      12-11-2010, 04:11 PM   #16
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Agreed. It's laughable really.

BMW own press info (i.e., marketing bs) make it sound like the spiritual successor to original 3 series M. So what marketing trickery will they use for the 2012 M3?

Quote:
"Eigenwillig," a German word meaning "self-willed," "individual," and "determined to go its own way," has been the proper word to describe the most unique and memorable M cars of the past three decades. With the original 1988 BMW M3 as its inspiration, the 2011 BMW 1 Series M Coupe combines the raw capabilities of a race car with the agility, versatility and seating position of a compact BMW Coupe to create a pure Ultimate Driving Machine®. In doing so, the 1 Series M Coupe continues the eigenwillig tradition of BMW M. With its latest two-door model, BMW M is illustrating its ability to build race car performance into a small car, capable of everyday use.
http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...M/default.aspx

Last edited by teagueAMX; 12-11-2010 at 04:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 04:40 PM   #17
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89(N54)

Its all Modern sales Marketing. The same thing Audi did some time ago when they used the "baby S" engine fromt their lower entry S vehicle the S3 in the TTS when everyone was expecting a twin turbo S4 engine in it, everyone got a little dissapointed. They "Kinda" made up for it a bit later when AUDI took the same engine, went big bore on it (2.500cc instead of 2.000) and planted it in the TTRS. Maybe thats the future of the F series M3 and/or the Z4M (of course we are talking about a facelift Z4 to bump the sales)? A larger capacity N54 engine? Well at least, thats the rumor.
      12-11-2010, 06:17 PM   #18
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
I really don't understand the 1 series crowd, they want this little $30k car to somehow be a better car than an M3... No car except M5 or M6 or Z4 can possibly hold that title do to price position. There's no way around it.
I agree that's the way it should be, where generally-speaking, if you go higher up the ladder in terms of price, the performance should be superior. However, BMW screw that one up a long time ago, sharing engines virtually across its lines and making little or no differentiation. I esp hated that the 335 could beat the Z4 (e85) in some performance stats. Another one is the 135 being w/i striking distance of our e89s. It's one big pricing strategy joke at BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 06:23 PM   #19
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

i guess my point is that these guys act like BMW was going to give them a Murcielago for $40k
      12-11-2010, 06:26 PM   #20
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89(N54)

Quote:
i guess my point is that these guys act like BMW was going to give them a Murcielago for $40k
      12-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #21
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The cost for that car will be over 50K Euro in Germany in US $ close to 67K (don't know about added options or addition to price when sold in the USA). Just a little bit more then the $40K

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fakten zum (Facts about) BMW 1er M Coupé:
Markteinführung in Deutschland im (will be available in Germany) Mai 2011.
Weltpremiere auf der (First showing in the world) North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) 2011 in Detroit.
Preis inkl. MwSt. in Deutschland (Cost in Germany): 50.500,- €.
Versicherungseinstufung (Insurance reference for Germany) (KH/VK/TK): 18/26/25
Das BMW 1er M Coupé wird im Werk Leipzig produziert (will be made in Leipzig, Germany).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 12-11-2010 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: Added Reference from German Web Site
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #22
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Price (MSRP):US approx. $ 46,000

it's not a straight conversion... i though you would've figure that out by now...