New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-23-2016, 06:07 PM   #1
Jetmart
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z435is

Check Engine light on a Canadian 35is

My Yellow Check Engine light came on and the manual doesn't say much about it. It appears to be only on a Canadian Car. Any idea what it means or how to reset it?
All other diagnostic checks are showing ok.
      05-23-2016, 07:17 PM   #2
Jetmart
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Update:

I did some reading and some have suggested a loose gas cap or a vapour lock in the gas tank??? can cause the light to come on. It actually came on shortly I fuelled. My cap seemed tight. I took it off an put it on again. Light went out.

Problem solved.
      05-23-2016, 07:39 PM   #3
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

A loose (or defective) cap is one of the more common things that can trigger a CEL on just about any vehicle. If it happens again (and it's not being caused by something else), you may have to replace the cap. BTW, what ever gave you the idea that a CEL is peculiar to Canadian models only? I've never noticed one on my wife's 35i, but there are so many other damned warnings that it may be there somewhere and I just haven't noticed it (she has the car right now, so I can't check it).
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2016, 07:43 PM   #4
Jetmart
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
A loose (or defective) cap is one of the more common things that can trigger a CEL on just about any vehicle. If it happens again (and it's not being caused by something else), you may have to replace the cap. BTW, what ever gave you the idea that a CEL is peculiar to Canadian models only? I've never noticed one on my wife's 35i, but there are so many other damned warnings that it may be there somewhere and I just haven't noticed it (she has the car right now, so I can't check it).
When I looked in the manual it referred to the light being on Canadian models.
      05-23-2016, 08:38 PM   #5
talhagursoy
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw Z4 sDrive35i

Yellow check engine light can be everything. We are not that perfect to guess your problem. So if it is not a loose cap, you have to read the trouble codes and share here so someone can help you
      05-24-2016, 07:15 AM   #6
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmart
Quote:
When I looked in the manual it referred to the light being on Canadian models.
Put a code reader on it and you'll have your answer

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 06:00 AM   #7
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Bump and silly question: does the dealer do that for free or what charge will it be? I can't be bothered to buy my own reader.

It will tell you exactly what is the cause of the CEL? It could be as innocent/harmless as not screwing on the gas cap properly?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 09:58 AM   #8
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

A code reader will not tell you the exact cause of the CEL, but rather the area of functionality (for lack of a better way to phrase it) that is causing the problem. From there, there is procedure for checking various components that may be defective. So it's not a panacea by any means.
Appreciate 1
      08-05-2016, 12:27 PM   #9
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
A code reader will not tell you the exact cause of the CEL, but rather the area of functionality (for lack of a better way to phrase it) that is causing the problem. From there, there is procedure for checking various components that may be defective. So it's not a panacea by any means.
Tx, Paris. I just had my car checked, so not sure what's going on. I'm hoping that it's possible to have a 'freak' false signal like in the OP...I mean, I didn't feel the car going into limp mode or anything. I wonder how many owners have a 'false flag' CEL and it disappears the next day?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2016, 10:57 PM   #10
BugsBunny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.5i, 2022 Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I wonder how many owners have a 'false flag' CEL and it disappears the next day?
Went away when I put gas into it. Never been so happy to spend $25 for a full tank at the gas station
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 12:40 AM   #11
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsBunny View Post
Went away when I put gas into it. Never been so happy to spend $25 for a full tank at the gas station
What's the explanation for that? The only things I did differently was that recent emissions recall that I had done. Not sure if that has anything to do w that. My CEL still remains.

I have a full tank atm.

Frustrating but I suspect it has to do w the recall or exhaust sys.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 02:10 PM   #12
BugsBunny
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 3.5i, 2022 Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
What's the explanation for that?
Good question Tranquillity. Unfortunately I cancelled my dealership's appointment when the CEL went away so I will never know the exact reason but I recalled two things:
1) the weather was changing a lot (cold then hot then cold etc.) the days before
2) minutes before the CEL came up, I did accelerate strongly in Sport + to inject myself into the traffic.

Maybe a sensor was being picky on some pressure variations and when I filled up the tank, the pressure changed. I am not a BMW mechanic though so
Appreciate 0