New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-23-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
silverstone_ttlz4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 Z4 35i

Self-damaging Navigation screen...?

So, when I bought my car pre-owned last February, the screen had zero scratches. A few months later one developed despite my having never touched the screen up to that point. And then there was another.

A few days ago I put the top down for the first time in a while and as soon as the sunlight hit the screen I saw yet another scratch.

So, I took it to the dealer and they (like I figured they would) are saying I must have damaged the screen. I get why they'd think that, but I didn't.

Has anyone had anything like this happen? I'm supposed to meet with a service manager on Monday morning to discuss it...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

i dont have any scratches but I do have a few spots on the screen that I can't remove, very tiny just like in your pic, I can only assume somethings got on there and I can't get it off. But no, no scratches. Those look like you (or someone) has wiped the screen and scratched it. The 5 series forum has a few posts about this too.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
silverstone_ttlz4
Private First Class
Rep

My thing--since I've touched the screen a few times to gently dust it--is that the scratches are almost perfectly straight, and the one in the bottom right corner in particular is in a very weird spot for me to have gone it. I could see the large one thats diagonal, but a straight line in a far corner of the screen.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

I've wiped mine with a micro fibre (damp) cloth and I've nothing like your photo. Have had the car nearly 3 years now. I'm not sure what you could do to remove the scratches.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #5
silverstone_ttlz4
Private First Class
Rep

Also, are those scratches on an anti-glare coating?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #6
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
You have to use a lint free rag or a eye glass cleaning tissue to clean the screen ... would be my recommendation.

or

The stuff you can buy at LensCrafters, etc., that is used to clean coated polycarbonate lenses. Make sure it is approved for coated lenses.

Apple Computer stores sell something called iKlear that comes with microfiber cloths and a small towel applicator, but it's pretty expensive. You can use it for cleaning LCD TV screens and computer monitors and such.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0