New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-03-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35is

SmartTop help... Setting using the turn signal stalk..

I spent all afternoon trying to manually program the SmartTop using the turn signal stalk. Tried doing like the instructions said. Just not having any luck. I have comfort access. Do the keys need to be in the ignition? I tried both ways. Something I am just not doing right. Probably something really simple too. What's the secret?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
Atebit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Yellow 2011 Z4 sdrive30i

Did you use the diagnostic LED on the module to verify it was installed correctly?

The green LED on the module should light briefly when the module is first installed. Then you need to do something to wake up the CAN bus like hitting a button in the remote. This should cause the LED to blink for a while.

To program using the turn signal you need to turn the ignition on then off. On a non CA car this required inserting the key & pushing the start button a few times. On a car with CA I don't know how you do that since inserting the key is optional I think. But net-net the instructions say to cycle the ignition on/off before using the turn signal to engage programming mode. It also says to only move the stalk to the "lane change" position until the turn signal arrows light to initiate programming mode.
      07-03-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atebit View Post
Did you use the diagnostic LED on the module to verify it was installed correctly?
I know it's installed correctly. I have been programming it using a laptop for some time. The other day it occurred to me that some day I might have a break down on the road and require my vehicle to be towed to a dealer, hence, my quest to learn how to program it manually with the turn signals.

I sort of answered my own question--- I spent the last two hours sitting in my car trying things until I finally mastered it. With comfort access, you do not need to insert the key.

The key is to "listen to the turn signal clicks."

When you first enter programming mode, you will already be in function (1).
To know if it is disabled, listen for the right turn click. If no click, then the whole module is disabled. If you hear one click, it is *on.*

To go to the next function, you push down the stalk, and you will hear clicks in sequence. Two left signal clicks for function (2), Three left signal clicks for function (3), four left signal clicks for function (4), and so on.

Once you are in the desired function, push upwards on the stalk to reach the desired state. Listen for the right clicks, (1) click, (2) click, (3) clicks, and so on...

Use the function chart in the instruction sheet to know the functions and the features.

It's not that hard once you figure it out. The instructions just aren't very clear and it takes some trial and error.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 01:53 AM   #4
bjarne
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i

On my car without CA, I don't need to insert the key, I can get into the car and push the stalk down until programming mode starts. I do have to insert and remove the key at the end to properly get it out of programming mode again.

In addition to the clicks you do realize that the turn signal indicators in the cluster also blinks, I find that useful as additional visual feedback.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 02:12 AM   #5
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjarne View Post
In addition to the clicks you do realize that the turn signal indicators in the cluster also blinks, I find that useful as additional visual feedback.
Well yes of course they do blink, but I found myself listening for the clicks and reading the cheat sheet at the same time. After awhile I found it much easier listening to the rhythm of the clicks while reading than looking at the blinkers.
Appreciate 0