New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #1
09cbb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i

Good deal for 09 sdrive 35i CPO?

A friend asked me about an offer he got for a used Z4 from a BMW dealership.

Is this a good deal?

- 2009 Z4 sdrive 35i manual, CPO, 1-owner
- 10,000 miles
- sapphire black and exclusive ivory special package
- cold weather package
- premium package
- premium sound package
- sport package with 19" wheels and adaptive suspension
- CIC navigation with ipod/usb adapter
- advanced keyless
- 6 DVD changer
- satellite radio
- alarm system
- through-loading system

Total price: $45,000

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
az34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i

thats not bad indeed
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 07:49 PM   #3
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09cbb View Post
A friend asked me about an offer he got for a used Z4 from a BMW dealership.

Is this a good deal?

- 2009 Z4 sdrive 35i manual, CPO, 1-owner
- 10,000 miles
- sapphire black and exclusive ivory special package
- cold weather package
- premium package
- premium sound package
- sport package with 19" wheels and adaptive suspension
- CIC navigation with ipod/usb adapter
- advanced keyless
- 6 DVD changer
- satellite radio
- alarm system
- through-loading system

Total price: $45,000

Thanks!
I got my 2009 Z4 35i in October, 2011. It is DCT not manual. It had 4,500 miles at the time of purchase (one owner). It has all the goodies you list except ivory leather and cold weather package. It does have heated seats. I got it for 42,500. It is CPO until 12/28/2015. The dealer came almost $3,000 off the asking price. I had a solid
BMW trade in which I think helped. The car is absolutely like new. It stickered at over 65,000. I am in the south. I thought I got a good deal on the car given my location where these cars can be driven year round. If your friend gets the car, tell them to read up on the wheels if the car has 296. I did add the tire and wheel warranty to the purchase price.

Last edited by Jayda; 11-29-2011 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 08:23 PM   #4
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

If you are in NJ and want to travel to GA, I got my car at United BMW of Roswell. I see they have several used ones available at the moment. Darwin Aldrich was my salesperson. Very, very simple process. We came to a verbal deal on the phone. I drove the car home to SC two days later.
      11-29-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Also, if you are looking for a deal, go to cars.com and look at a loaded 09 35i being offered at Mercedes Benz of West Chester, Ohio. I inquired about this car but ultimately decided it was too far away for me and they weren't interested in my trade. I did give the VIN from this car to my BMW service guy here. He ran the VIN and we found that the car is a CPO and it has the extended maintenance package. I am not sure Mercedes Benz knows this. The car is currently offered at $36,500ish. It has 16,000 miles. They have had it awhile so they would probably deal. The price is a great deal already being a CPO with the extended maintenance. It is DCT though not manual. It is space gray with black. I kind of had my heart set on white.
      11-29-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
09cbb
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayda View Post
Also, if you are looking for a deal, go to cars.com and look at a loaded 09 35i being offered at Mercedes Benz of West Chester, Ohio. I inquired about this car but ultimately decided it was too far away for me and they weren't interested in my trade. I did give the VIN from this car to my BMW service guy here. He ran the VIN and we found that the car is a CPO and it has the extended maintenance package. I am not sure Mercedes Benz knows this. The car is currently offered at $36,500ish. It has 16,000 miles. They have had it awhile so they would probably deal. The price is a great deal already being a CPO with the extended maintenance. It is DCT though not manual. It is space gray with black. I kind of had my heart set on white.
I saw that one, but it already had 3 owners and was missing a few options. My friend just went ahead and bought the $45,000 car. I think he got a good deal for the NY-area and also compared to cars.com. He told me it is in absolutely pristine condition.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09cbb View Post
I saw that one, but it already had 3 owners and was missing a few options. My friend just went ahead and bought the $45,000 car. I think he got a good deal for the NY-area and also compared to cars.com. He told me it is in absolutely pristine condition.
Hope he enjoys it! I am thrilled with mine. With only 4,500 miles it is like new at a great savings plus it had everything I wanted! Great, fun car!
      01-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
robertrichhart
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 S35i

Bought the '09 Space Gray 35i in Ohio and they did NOT realize it came with the extended maintenance warranty! Good deal for a loaded '09 CPO and Space Gray was the color I was looking for. Traded my '03 3.0i (Sterling Gray) for it and brought it home to Indiana.

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #9
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrichhart View Post
Bought the '09 Space Gray 35i in Ohio and they did NOT realize it came with the extended maintenance warranty! Good deal for a loaded '09 CPO and Space Gray was the color I was looking for. Traded my '03 3.0i (Sterling Gray) for it and brought it home to Indiana.

That is too funny. I was really interested in that car but decided to go for one that was nearer to home and alpine white. If you got the space gray in Ohio, the maintenance plan and the fact that it was a CPO makes it a steal. Plus I imagine you picked it up for below $40,000...... Congrats. Did you deal with Joe Bender? He was simply the nicest salesperson I have every spoken with!
      01-30-2012, 08:59 PM   #10
robertrichhart
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 S35i

Got it for well under $40k. Did not deal with Joe, actually, Mercedes of West Chester dealer traded it to a small local dealer that specializes in European used cars, and they had an interest in my '03 as a trade so we were able to strike a deal. Was happy to find this one!

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 06:16 AM   #11
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertrichhart View Post
Got it for well under $40k. Did not deal with Joe, actually, Mercedes of West Chester dealer traded it to a small local dealer that specializes in European used cars, and they had an interest in my '03 as a trade so we were able to strike a deal. Was happy to find this one!

Hope you enjoy it, I am thrilled with mine!
      04-27-2015, 10:11 AM   #12
dim3314
Private
Rep
Drives: Looking to buy Z4 sDrive35IS

Resurrecting an old thread, i'm looking at a CPO (1 owner) 2013 White on Red 35IS. It's got about 18k miles on it and right now asking price is about $45k. It is fully loaded with anything you can think of. Although this looks like a very good deal, i'm still feel the deal and the dealership is very sketchy. The Carfax is reported from an Infiniti car dealership on the opposite side of the US and theres no maintenance record on the carfax, theres no "data" for the carfax to compare with market to see if the car's price is above or below market price which I thought was sketchy. The last thing I thought was weird was that the dealer put up very nice photos of the car but one day I accidently clicked on the video. I guess they used pictures of the car when they first received it as part of their inventory, the car's front bumper was scratched up on both the driver side and passenger side. There was a lot of rim rash that you can see also in the video, but of course the photos the dealer put up has the car all touched up and looking nice. Can you guys tell me if this looks sketchy to you or not? Thanks in advance and the help guys. Any opinion or input is well appreciated.

http://www.longbeachbmw.com/certifie...f6e928f6a7.htm
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 11:50 AM   #13
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Here's what I can offer. My wife and I bought a '13 35i for her from an MB dealer in Ariz. (about 600 miles from home) six months ago. It had just short of 19k miles, had been sold as a CPO 7 months prior and had then been traded to the Benz dealer for a four seat convertible. So when we bought it for $40k, it was kind of a "semi-CPO" car. It's not a 35is and is not as well equipped as yours, but that was also six months ago and these cars are not known for holding their value well. What has your research told you similar cars go for? We shopped nationwide and couldn't help notice how consistent used BMW pricing was all over the US. At the time, we felt that $40k was right in line with comparable vehicles. The point I'm trying to get to, is, 6 months later, I wouldn't think it's too much of a stretch to think that one could get a 35is for the same kind of money ($40K).
As for the cosmetic damage you noticed in the video compared to the still shots, that's what CPOing a car is all about. Original owners have lots of opportunity to screw up a car in 24 months and a CPO dealer is supposed to make the car as "like-new" as possible before offering it for sale. That's part of why you may a premium for CPO. Your job is to inspect the car thoroughly (and you have an advantage here knowing what it looked like when it was turned in!) and make sure the repairs were made to your satisfaction. Just as an aside, the car we bought turned out to have had some shitty respray work done on the nose which the dealer had not informed us of prior to our flying down to pick it up. I managed to get them to lower the price from the original $40.5k to $40k and when we got home the car went straight to our body shop where they reshot the front cover for $565. So all was again right with the world! Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 12:17 PM   #14
dim3314
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
Here's what I can offer. My wife and I bought a '13 35i for her from an MB dealer in Ariz. (about 600 miles from home) six months ago. It had just short of 19k miles, had been sold as a CPO 7 months prior and had then been traded to the Benz dealer for a four seat convertible. So when we bought it for $40k, it was kind of a "semi-CPO" car. It's not a 35is and is not as well equipped as yours, but that was also six months ago and these cars are not known for holding their value well. What has your research told you similar cars go for? We shopped nationwide and couldn't help notice how consistent used BMW pricing was all over the US. At the time, we felt that $40k was right in line with comparable vehicles. The point I'm trying to get to, is, 6 months later, I wouldn't think it's too much of a stretch to think that one could get a 35is for the same kind of money ($40K).
As for the cosmetic damage you noticed in the video compared to the still shots, that's what CPOing a car is all about. Original owners have lots of opportunity to screw up a car in 24 months and a CPO dealer is supposed to make the car as "like-new" as possible before offering it for sale. That's part of why you may a premium for CPO. Your job is to inspect the car thoroughly (and you have an advantage here knowing what it looked like when it was turned in!) and make sure the repairs were made to your satisfaction. Just as an aside, the car we bought turned out to have had some shitty respray work done on the nose which the dealer had not informed us of prior to our flying down to pick it up. I managed to get them to lower the price from the original $40.5k to $40k and when we got home the car went straight to our body shop where they reshot the front cover for $565. So all was again right with the world! Good luck.
When you first saw the car in person in AZ at the MB dealer, were you able to see the respray work done on the car? I'm hoping that this BMW dealership did a professional CPO job in restoring the nose and giving it a real paint job, not just little touch ups. Even the carfax doesn't state anywhere if there was a "paintjob" done. Is there anyway for me to check if the car did in fact go through a professionally done paintjob? or will I just have to accept that the car was just done with a little minor paintjob?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 01:10 PM   #15
paris1
Captain
Rep

The lousy respray was the first thing I noticed when I walked up to the car, so the salesman knew he had a problem and it was pretty easy to talk him down another $500 (especially since it was the same amount he had balked at in our phone negotiation and I gave up on!). However that was me, had it been my wife alone picking up the car, she would never have noticed the paint. Bear in mind though that our car had been on the road for 7k miles since it was originally CPO'd and I suspect the nose damage might have occurred under the second owner's watch and she just had it spot-painted on the fly or the dealer had it done poorly after it was traded in. Any decent CPO process would have never let this happen. A CARFAX report will not show every little bump and bruise; there was nothing on the one for our car that showed anything about front end paint work. I'm assuming you're close to the selling dealer? (Not many people are crazy enough to travel the distance we did to buy a used car!) If so, go there and perform a thorough inspection of the car. If you don't feel you're qualified to judge the paint work, bring along someone who is. And don't be afraid to ask them to put the car on a lift so you can check underneath for oil leaks or obvious signs of repair.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 01:22 PM   #16
dim3314
Private
Rep

Quote:
The lousy respray was the first thing I noticed when I walked up to the car, so the salesman knew he had a problem and it was pretty easy to talk him down another $500 (especially since it was the same amount he had balked at in our phone negotiation and I gave up on!). However that was me, had it been my wife alone picking up the car, she would never have noticed the paint. Bear in mind though that our car had been on the road for 7k miles since it was originally CPO'd and I suspect the nose damage might have occurred under the second owner's watch and she just had it spot-painted on the fly or the dealer had it done poorly after it was traded in. Any decent CPO process would have never let this happen. A CARFAX report will not show every little bump and bruise; there was nothing on the one for our car that showed anything about front end paint work. I'm assuming you're close to the selling dealer? (Not many people are crazy enough to travel the distance we did to buy a used car!) If so, go there and perform a thorough inspection of the car. If you don't feel you're qualified to judge the paint work, bring along someone who is. And don't be afraid to ask them to put the car on a lift so you can check underneath for oil leaks or obvious signs of repair.
Yeah, pass by the dealer every week when I go to work. I didn't know you request that of them, good to know!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 02:22 PM   #17
dim3314
Private
Rep

Quote:
Forgot to ask, so did your rework on the front bumper for $565 reflect on CARFAX? If you decide to sell your car in the future, I would assume future customer's would have some doubts as to why there was a paint job redone if it does infact show up on CARFAX.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2015, 03:49 PM   #18
paris1
Captain
Rep

You're putting far too much faith in the efficacy of CARFAX. They can only report damage that's handled by insurance. When you walk into your favorite auto body shop, flip him a $500 bill and tell him you'll be back tomorrow afternoon, that's pretty much just between you and him.
Appreciate 0