New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-26-2015, 10:09 PM   #1
jman4582
Rep
Drives: z4

Headliner for z4 - ANY COLOR BUT WHITE???

I was in the dealership today. Test-drove an sdrive35i, absolutely loved it, had agreed to a price earlier, and was ready to buy. Then the advisor put the top up...and I looked up. For the first time since test-driving Z4s, I noticed the white headliner. The car I want is black exterior, black interior, and white headliner really looked out of place to me. I was so taken aback that I had to leave without purchasing.

I asked around at other dealerships, and every vehicle I inquired about also had a white headliner. I even stopped by a dealership where I'd test-driven previously, and that one was white, too. I'm honestly a little embarrassed that I'm just noticing this now, but now that I've noticed it, I can't "un"-notice it.

Am I the only one who's bothered by this weird color combination? Am I over-reacting (If so, have at it...your ridicule can't be worse than what I got from my co-workers when I returned empty-handed)?

Is there any alternative to the white headliner?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 10:50 PM   #2
Crazykoh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Mineral White

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Based on the bmwusa configurator, if you get hyper orange package, ivory white burnt sienna package, or m sport package you get an anthracite headliner instead. So it looks like it can be done. You may have to order the car rather than drive it off the lot, but personally I prefer that method. Good luck. The Z4 is an awesome car that is totally underrated, imho, as long as you aren't a track hound.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 02:05 AM   #3
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

When I got my car, I made sure I had a black (anthracite) headliner; I've had black on all my cars and I just can't seem to swallow it being white, just like OP.

However, if you are getting a good price on it, you can always wrap it in alcantara for an even higher-class look than the anthracite (which frankly looks and feels kinda cheap as its the same material just in black...). Someone on the forums did it here:

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=625076
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 08:00 AM   #4
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Beware however if you get a black headliner that it will darken the interior more.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 10:06 AM   #5
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

I gotta say there are some (to me) really strange things about BMWs and their owners and this is one of them. When the wife and I were shopping for a used Z4 last year I noticed the thing about the anthracite headliner on M sport cars and thought to myself "Why would a manufacturer go to the trouble of offering a different headliner as part of a trim package?" Who would care? I don't think I have ever owned a car with anything but a white or off-white headliner and have never even thought about it. So we ended up with a used 2013 M sport Z4 and while driving it home from another state I looked up at the anthracite headliner and asked myself the same question. Who would care if the headliner is white or black in this car (with Coral Red interior)? I still don't know the answer to that question (except maybe jman4582 above!), but all things considered, I would go with the lighter colored piece (especially with a black interior) as it would help lighten up the dark interior space.

Last edited by paris1; 02-27-2015 at 10:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 10:25 AM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman4582 View Post
The car I want is black exterior, black interior, and white headliner really looked out of place to me.
OP, I've been living with a z435i with black exterior and interior with white headliner for the last 2.5 yrs. Personally, I think it would be a bit claustrophobic if it had the black headliner

If you really want it, just swap in the part and use alcantara as Cedar suggested.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 02:46 PM   #7
Bob20124
Retired and Enjoying it
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i Alpine White 6MT

Have dealer do a headliner swap or purchase headliner yourself and con dealer into installing.
Attached Images

2011 35i BMS High & Low side OCC, Custom tune, CDV delete, Eldor coils, ER Charge Pipe w/Tial BOV, ER Comp. FMIC, K&N drop in,40W LED Halo, LCI side markers, M-Factory LSD, NGK plugs, Racing Dynamics strut brace, Stubby, Windrestrictor
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2015, 05:42 PM   #8
toofache32
Rep
Drives: mine

Is the headliner the fabric on the roof? I have no idea what color mine is. That's like looking at the color of the gas cap.
Appreciate 0