New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-13-2017, 02:57 PM   #23
m4recruiter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - ED Pick-up 4/29/16

The cover will be off by end of day.

Here is a pic of the car with tint. Suspicious?
Attached Images

2001 E46 325i Touring
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #24
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD ///M4 View Post
EDITED: California law states that the driver and passenger front windows "must allow at least 70 percent of light to penetrate into the vehicle" (30% tint). California doesn't even allow medical exemptions. In SoCal, the sun can be relentless, and a very large percentage of cars are tinted for sun protection and cooler temps in the car. Enthusiasts tend to go darker than most. I have 35% all around on my M4, they didn't have 30%.

Most tint shops have a policy that if they installed it and you get a ticket, they'll take it off for free. Having it removed is the only remedy, unless you know a friendly cop who will sign off your citation without you actually removing it.
I'm in Ny; have the same law, if I recall correctly it's a $300 summons here. They don't really harass here unless your windows are black. I have 40%. Police want to see if youre on the cell and not hands free, smoking greenery; things of that nature. that's the real reason behind the ny law (the new enforcment of it anyway).
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 03:20 PM   #25
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by packetpilot View Post
I believe you did not have to roll up the window, curious if @sedan_clan agrees.

Thanks for sharing your story. I thought the only horror stories from 880 involved potholes and bent rims, and pothole cinders cracking windshields.

I'll bet the license plate cover was the only thing he could actually pull you over for, and the others don't qualify and can only be cited if the car is already stopped.
What do you mean? A car doesn't have to be stationary to write for tint, etc. The officer can easily see that a vehicle has no front plate or has tint on the driver/passenger side windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdwilly View Post
Might just be me but in the bay area, I've found the CHP to much more pedantic about little things like tint, and license plate covers than anyone else. So much more that when I took a fix it ticket to my local police department to sign off on he laughed that anyone would even write the ticket these days.

We are sticklers about that stuff, but it's the nature of the beast. We're also more strict/focused when it comes to DUI enforcement, large vehicle/truck enforcement, etc. than most other agencies. The CHP is not a general purpose agency like a PD or SO.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 03:24 PM   #26
sdwilly
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
We are more sticklers about that stuff, but it's the nature of the beast. We're also more strict/focused when it comes to DUI enforcement, large vehicle/truck enforcement, etc. than most other agencies.
Which is fine, I knew the risk when I willing broke the laws on the subject. I'll never fault a cop for giving me the ticket when I did it knowing there was a chance, though of course I would prefer it not to happen.

On the flip side though nicest cop I've ever had was the CHP that gave me a 1 point ticket for doing 120 on 280 a few years back. That could have been so much worse.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 03:29 PM   #27
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Which is fine, I knew the risk when I willing broke the laws on the subject. I'll never fault a cop for giving me the ticket when I did it knowing there was a chance, though of course I would prefer it not to happen.

On the flip side though nicest cop I've ever had was the CHP that gave me a 1 point ticket for doing 120 on 280 a few years back. That could have been so much worse.
Most of the time they will reduce the rate of speed clocked on radar/lidar/pacing in excess of the posted speed limit for multiple reasons:
  1. Good attitude on behalf of the motorist.
  2. The officer is/was in a particularly good/indifferent mood.
  3. Not wanting to deal with impounding the car and the paperwork that comes along with it.
  4. An otherwise good driving record
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #28
packetpilot
Banned
Rep
Drives: California Packet
Location: Left edge of browser window beneath 'join date' obvi

Quote:
What do you mean? A car doesn't have to be stationary to write for tint, etc. The officer can easily see that a vehicle has no front plate or has tint on the driver/passenger side windows.

We are sticklers about that stuff, but it's the nature of the beast. We're also more strict/focused when it comes to DUI enforcement, large vehicle/truck enforcement, etc. than most other agencies. The CHP is not a general purpose agency like a PD or SO.
What I mean is that I'm rather sure there are infractions such as front plate, tint, etc. that can not be the *sole* cause of stopping a vehicle. I could be mistaken, of course. (I often am!)

Also, sort of like required consent OR probable cause for a search, is it possible to decline rolling one's window up? I realize there'd be fallout, but I'm just curious. :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 03:33 PM   #29
Bowser330
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: i3 REX

Quote:
Most of the time they will reduce the rate of speed clocked on radar/lidar/pacing in excess of the posted speed limit for multiple reasons:
  1. Good attitude on behalf of the motorist.
  2. The officer is/was in a particularly good/indifferent mood.
  3. Not wanting to deal with impounding the car and the paperwork that comes along with it.
  4. An otherwise good driving record
Sorry to hear OP....

@Sedan_Clan....

how much of the driving record can the good ol' cruiser computer show? how far back? to what level of detail? anything you can share would be informative...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 03:33 PM   #30
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by packetpilot View Post
What I mean is that I'm rather sure there are infractions such as front plate, tint, etc. that can not be the *sole* cause of stopping a vehicle. I could be mistaken, of course. (I often am!)

Also, sort of like required consent OR probable cause for a search, is it possible to decline rolling one's window up? I realize there'd be fallout, but I'm just curious. :-)
Tint IS probable cause to stop a vehicle, as is ANY other vehicle code infraction. No, you cannot decline a lawful order of a peace officer; a vehicle stop is considered a "detainment".

Glad I could help.
Appreciate 4
SakhirM410783.00
M-Pilot4859.00
wjones14640.00
      02-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #31
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser330 View Post
Sorry to hear OP....

@Sedan_Clan....

how much of the driving record can the good ol' cruiser computer show? how far back? to what level of detail? anything you can share would be informative...
Everything.

When I run the driver's license, I get a complete history.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 03:35 PM   #32
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:

If both my front windows are down when I get pulled over and the officer asks me to roll up the window, can I decline or do I have to roll up my windows?

Edit: just saw your answer above. Thanks!

Last edited by M-Pilot; 02-13-2017 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: Got the answer
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 03:43 PM   #33
Bowser330
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: i3 REX

Quote:
Everything.

*gulp* Thanks man
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 03:48 PM   #34
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowser330 View Post
Quote:
Everything.

*gulp* Thanks man
I've scribbled much of the screen out, but basically this is the set-up.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
badbread332.50
      02-13-2017, 03:54 PM   #35
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4recruiter View Post
The cover will be off by end of day.

Here is a pic of the car with tint. Suspicious?
Depends... Are you driving through the hood late at night? Then yes, hella suspicious...

As for the op - seen a few people already comment but I can also tell you that US Millworks is a great option except this time, I went with this and the quality / fit & finish is amazing...

Sto N Sho

http://shop.bigmikesperformanceparts...ion-SNS67a.htm
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 04:17 PM   #36
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Might just be me but in the bay area, I've found the CHP to much more pedantic about little things like tint, and license plate covers than anyone else. So much more that when I took a fix it ticket to my local police department to sign off on he laughed that anyone would even write the ticket these days.
Could also be due to where the ticket funds go. I know in AlCo the city/city PD gets jack squat of the ticket amount while the county gets the bulk share, therefore they don't really care about writing those tickets much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
As for the op - seen a few people already comment but I can also tell you that US Millworks is a great option except this time, I went with this and the quality / fit & finish is amazing...

Sto N Sho

http://shop.bigmikesperformanceparts...ion-SNS67a.htm
+1 to Sto n Sho. Great folks.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 05:55 PM   #37
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

Quote:
How do YOU know he got reprimanded? You have no access to anything disciplinary. Hell, courts can barely get access to that stuff, so let's not make assumptions. A traffic officer's job is to write cites. If you don't want to be cited, don't break the law. You have to pay to play. Labeling somebody a prick just for doing their job says more about your maturity level than it does anything else.
ok fuzz..I know because I have friends in high places. I already explained why I called him a prick so re-read the thread if you want to know why. In the meantime you act like just because he had a badge everything he did was justified and me calling him a prick is some indication of my maturity level.
Appreciate 1
VRG_135836.50
      02-13-2017, 06:36 PM   #38
Ian1973
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 M3

When I got my E46 M3, it had been in Florida and had no front plate, so I didn't add one (which is a law in NY). In a month or so time I had been pulled over three times for no plate, one of which was a speed and he wrote the ticket for the front plate. I will never do that again. I mean you could be out with the wife, have a few drinks at dinner and get popped on the way home, even though you are OK, you may be "impaired". It's just attention I wouldn't want to deal with, so I popped holes in my new car.

Additionally in the same E46, they were doing a seatbelt sweep, they had a cop at the entrance of a highway in plain clothes and a stop on the ramp. The second I saw the cops I put my belt on but didn't know there was a plain clothes guy I had passed. The cop asked me when I put the seat belt on, of course I played stupid. Well because I lied he got me for tinted windows, which were like 3% over the state maximum.

Needless to say I will never tint windows, I will never run one plate. I do not like receiving unwanted attention.
Appreciate 2
SakhirM410783.00
Sedan_Clan24818.50
      02-13-2017, 06:39 PM   #39
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80er View Post
ok fuzz..I know because I have friends in high places. I already explained why I called him a prick so re-read the thread if you want to know why. In the meantime you act like just because he had a badge everything he did was justified and me calling him a prick is some indication of my maturity level.
Well of course you do. It is the internet after all............testicle sore.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 06:44 PM   #40
Cameronc08
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.1 Turbo/F82 M4/'06 Saleen

Just ziptie the front plate to the grill and take it to the courthouse, have the officer write it off then take it off. Forget the fast and furious off center tow hook plate please.
sdshah849.00
AlterZgo1537.50
      02-13-2017, 06:57 PM   #41
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

Quote:
Well of course you do. It is the internet after all............testicle sore.
Can't argue facts so you spout off some nonsense about how I couldn't possibly have any intimate knowledge of the situation and that somehow my balls are sore.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 07:00 PM   #42
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80er View Post
Can't argue facts so you spout off some nonsense about how I couldn't possibly have any intimate knowledge of the situation and that somehow my balls are sore.
There's no way for me to pose an argument against [alternative] "facts" because there's no mechanism for me to verify that anything you've stated is factual. You could very well have some intimate knowledge (...by way of knowing an officer or somebody within the department who fed you information)....................or you could be full of hot air. There's no way to really know, hence my statement about the internet. You can paint any picture you'd like in this wonderful world of 1's and 0's. Glad your situation worked out for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 07:08 PM   #43
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
I think it has to do where you live.

I have driven cars w/o front license plates plenty of times around where I live and passed cops constantly without getting in trouble for it. All of my cars also have front window, front passenger tinted w/o any trouble. My M4 has 3M Crystalline 60% front, 40% rest. The Macan S has 3M Crystalline as well, 70% front, 40% side window, no front license plate as well.

I should mention I have left my temporary tags on my car since I have received my car and I have never taken it off, hell I never even put on my real license plate. It might be due to the fact that my area has a lot of high end cars w/o front license plates, almost everyone here does that and the cops just don't really care.

Now, I been in Santa Monica ONCE w/ my 328i and I was given a ticket for no front license plate. I don't live there so I just paid it off. Front windshield and two front windows are also tinted, was only 1 ticket for the missing front license plate. It is probably something to do w/ how unlucky you are because I rarely see cops pull you over JUST for that. They usually tack on Fix-It tickets when they give you other tickets like speeding or something.

Least for me anyway, I could be wrong.

Edit: Also, I have had my 04 Jetta driven around w/o a front license plate for around 10 years before I was finally pulled over for it... 10 years later. I got away with it for 10 years driving around w/o a front license plate.
      02-13-2017, 07:12 PM   #44
blake9220
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT Matte Indigo Blue

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [7.00]
I had the same thing happen to me in my Focus ST a couple of years ago. Cop pulled me over for "tinted" taillight. They weren't tinted, just black housing, but I digress. He then mentioned the windows and leaned forward to check the front plates. Luckily for me I only got a fix-it ticket for the rear taillights (a $350+ ticket by the way).

I've only interacted with CHP a couple of times, but I'm always polite. I figure if I'm polite, I have a slight chance of getting a warning, or lesser infractions. If I'm an ass, I have 0% chance of the officer going easy on me.

Appreciate 0