New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #23
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by snk View Post
If it's too good to be true, it probably is
+1

Something stinks about the shifter boot explanation. Why wouldn't they just reinstall it. Oh yeah, they're waiting for the next insurance inspector - Yah that's it.

Forget it!

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #24
alan64
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4 View Post
Hey guys,

So I'm looking to get into a Z4, and am very picky with my color combination and options (white on red, with every option ) making it almost impossible to find my car.

I finally found one (some thousand miles away from my home) and would like to get your opinion and have some questions.

First of all, it's a 2012 with 3,000 miles. I pulled up the VIN, and its production date was 4/26/12. Why would someone buy a car and drive it for 3,000 miles and then sell it? According to the dealer (not BMW), they said the original owners (couple) broke up so they no longer needed the car. Is this an instant red flag? It's my first time buying pre-owned so I'm not sure what to look for.

Secondly, it's a 35i with every option (minus extended leather), asking for $50,000. Considering its MSRP would have been around $65k, the price seems reasonable... maybe, too reasonable? Could there be something wrong with this car?

And lastly, and most importantly, the roof. I've read a few threads here about noise from the top when up, but never read about a non-opening roof. According to the dealer, when opening the roof, when the back window folds on top of the roof, it stops. You have to release the button, then push it again for it to fold completely. When putting the top back up, it goes smoothly. The dealer said it is as a BMW dealer right now to get it fixed under warranty, some kind of sensor issue or something. Is this a serious problem, or should I not be concerned if it was fixed by a dealer under warranty. I'm just afraid of buying a $50k lemon, especially since most Lemon Laws don't cover used cars.

Thanks in advances!
I seriously dont like the looks of that shifter. Im also suspect about the roof. I have owned my 09 for a bit, and I have only 9000 km on it. Its mint, and has never had any roof issues or shifter issues. Its been a jewel. You might want to look at the wheels also. if they come with the 19's as compared to the 18's, they will likely crack as a number of people have had problems with them.Bmw is not covering them well, and it can be expense to replace. The 35i motor is a sweet motor. I love the car, and will probably keep it for the rest of my life. I might buy others, but this one stays around, to be babied and enjoyed.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 08:57 PM   #25
Colorado
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z428i

The issue of the shifter plate is indeed strange. I believe the car was towed. Flood cars go everywhere. The top has a couple of micro switches which control the movement of the top. If that is the problem then not to worry. I would see if I could get the BMW dealer to assist you with an inspection. The shifter plate story is lame.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #26
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Roof top is a minus, but not something I am extremely concerned about, like you mentioned Colorado.

But that baseplate is just very peculiar and doesn't sit well with me. If purchasing the car, I will definitely do a PPI, but would that eliminate the possibility that it was towed, something was wrong with the car before, etc.? Maybe, maybe not.

Since I am some 3,000 miles away and can't check the car myself, is anyone in NorthCal (S. SanFran) that would be interested in a free test-drive?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #27
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Wow, you must really like this color combo to even consider buying a car sight unseen with just a PPI and a forum member's assessment despite the sketchy backstory

I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you btw. PM for details
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #28
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Also because it is used it should qualify for CPO. If the Dealer is not willing to Certify the car then you dotn want it. Otherwise get the extra two years or 100K mile warranty for $2000.00 and take her for a spin. I say that it is likely a good deal. To me though it sounds like a repo and that is fine by me.
      01-29-2013, 03:26 PM   #29
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
From what he told me, the car was originally owned by a couple and was no longer needed due to a breakup. It was returned to the bank that financed the car... He mentioned specifically he doesn't think it's a repo'd.
Ask your self how a bank will be willing to take back a perfectly good car you are not willing to pay for and not classify it as a repo? Think about it, that isnt true. As Judge Judy would say "if it doesnt make sense then it isnt true".

I cant believe that i just quoted the Judy, going to the doctor now to get myself checked.
      01-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #30
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Wow, you must really like this color combo to even consider buying a car sight unseen with just a PPI and a forum member's assessment despite the sketchy backstory
+1

I would NEVER buy something sight unseen, esp a complicated piece of eqt such as a car. Yes, the color combo is great (I have white on red) but it's not exactly a rare thing and I'm sure that you could find something closer to your home. Also, if a new one is indeed just a few thousand dollars more, you should really consider that instead of buying a potential headache.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 04:40 PM   #31
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you btw. PM for details
Would never buy a car sight unseen. But also don't want to spend $700 to fly out just to "check out" the car. So if a member (probably more knowledgable than me) would have a look, I'll be more confident that I won't be throwing $700 down the drain. With that said, White/Red does seem to be a very popular color in terms of the Z4, at least in the forums, but I've looked at all price range, even new cars, and this is indeed the only one I could find (35i/35is).

I guess I will have to pass on this one... I saw a local Atacama Yellow? Liked that color when I first saw it, but as a daily driver... hmm. It has 1k miles, CPO'd, but pretty sure it's a test-driven car. CarFax labels as a manufacture vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #32
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking117 View Post
Also because it is used it should qualify for CPO. If the Dealer is not willing to Certify the car then you dotn want it. Otherwise get the extra two years or 100K mile warranty for $2000.00 and take her for a spin. I say that it is likely a good deal. To me though it sounds like a repo and that is fine by me.
If I'm not mistaken, used cars can not be CPO'd unless it is a BMW selling it. Only way is if the dealer buys your cars, CPO's it, then sell it back to you.

Repo'd is fine, but if dealer is lying then I'd wonder if it was just a repo or if there was damage.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 05:04 PM   #33
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

One good thing about DCT cars with less than 1200 miles is that the Launch Control isn't allowed by the computer yet so at least you don't have to worry about that being used / abused by test drivers and the previous owner
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #34
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Cedar, like you, I was very specific on the list of equipment I wanted for the Z4 (Alpine White or Space Grey, Coral Red, <15k, premium pkg, sport pkg). Actually not even as specific as you as idrive and comfort access weren't hard requirements, and it still took me a long time to find one that fit all of my criteria. So I know how you feel. There is always a risk with buying ANY used cars. The key is to minimize that risk and have a backup plan. If you really like this car, here's what I would do:

1. Get a CarFax (which you've already done)
2. Ask for a lot of high resolution photos in as many angles as possible of the exterior and interior
3. Get an independent inspection
4. Put your deposit on a credit card, so if there is any dispute, you can file a charge back with your credit card company and get your deposit back
5. Get someone in the area to check it out for you. Let them know your areas of concern so they can spend more time looking at those areas.
6. Know your rights (lemon law and warranty)

I've successfully purchased both BMWs in my signature remotely. That is, I put down a deposit before seeing the car physically in person. I flew in for one, and drove several hours for the other. Both worked out just fine. Ultimately you have to weigh the risk vs reward in any purchase. But we are here to help

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT

Last edited by InsanePineapple; 01-29-2013 at 08:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 07:54 AM   #35
Jay01
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Ok, that pretty much clears it up. If the shifter plate was popped AND the car went through Adesa you can be assured it was a repo. Adesa is the #1 choice for banks to run repo's through.

Quote:
He said that he thinks it was not a repo and got a chance to talk to the original owner, and she said they returned the vehicle. He did provide me with a CarFace (provided by Adesa, auto auction), but it doesn't have anything more after it was sold.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #36
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep

As someone has said, a REPO is fine, especially on such a new car I wouldn't have to worry about the previous owner not maintaining it. My only concern is how it was towed during the REPO - Been looking through the owner's manual and it seems like the automatic transmissions have to be towed on a flatbed, and not by a trolly/two wheels. Having heard horror stories about tow companies during REPO, I'm afraid the tow company just towed it on two wheels (which might mean damage to the transmission). The manual says not to tow the car over 30MPH for more than 30 miles. Is this a legit concern or am I nitpicking?

Yes, I can't seem to walk away from this car
My lease on the DD is up and I returned it two days ago. Want to get a Z4 (as a DD ) before I end up racking up too many miles on my other cars. And since it's a DD (and I know I will be keeping it for at least 5-6 years), trying to get into a as reliable car as possible.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #37
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Well I don't know what else to say that I haven't already said :P

[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #38
Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 35is & '11 535xi GT

Garage List
Just get it. Since it is under warranty before someone else does. I know I would if I did not already have one. morfinX gave a lot of good advices in his previous post.
      02-04-2013, 12:23 AM   #39
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

OP, seems like you really want it and have gotten yourself comfortable with the risks.

You should go for it.

You have most of the full warranty period and can always sell the car a bit earlier than planned if it is in fact troublesome.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 11:14 PM   #40
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Definitely true Nick, I am a lot more confident about this buy. Additionally, dealer admitted to it being a REPO, but still claims it was a returned REPO, not a forced and towed REPO. Maybe a few dollars off and I can drive it home

Quick question though. I am unfamiliar with the trunk of the Z4, but does this look familiar to anyone? Looks like some aftermarket stereo or something to me. At least all my previous cars didn't have this going on under the trunk lid, but what do I know.

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 12:05 AM   #41
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Definitely true Nick, I am a lot more confident about this buy. Additionally, dealer admitted to it being a REPO, but still claims it was a returned REPO
Cedar, you gained confidence in the deal AFTER finding out you are buying from a liar? I wouldn't be able to hand $50k to a liar.

That pic is for the roof hydraulics. by the way.

One thought.. you can order a brand new 28i for the money you are willing to pay.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #42
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quick question though. I am unfamiliar with the trunk of the Z4, but does this look familiar to anyone? Looks like some aftermarket stereo or something to me. At least all my previous cars didn't have this going on under the trunk lid, but what do I know.
That's how the normal trunk looks like. Although normally there is a carpeted cover that goes over the battery and cables. See attachment.

Quote:
Cedar, you gained confidence in the deal AFTER finding out you are buying from a liar? I wouldn't be able to hand $50k to a liar.

One thought.. you can order a brand new 28i for the money you are willing to pay.
But single exhaust doesn't look as cool as dual exhaust
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2013, 01:20 AM   #43
Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 35is & '11 535xi GT

Garage List
Quote:
Definitely true Nick, I am a lot more confident about this buy. Additionally, dealer admitted to it being a REPO, but still claims it was a returned REPO, not a forced and towed REPO. Maybe a few dollars off and I can drive it home

I see no stereo there. just a missing trunk cover... This is how you access the battery by the way.
      02-05-2013, 12:20 PM   #44
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Liar maybe, but for some reason him admitting that it was a REPO makes me believe that it was also a return, and not a forced REPO, and that was my major concern.

True on the 28i, and have thought about it. Not to mention, with the new 8speed and i4TT, 0-60 is very close to the 35 with better gas mileage. But as Morfinx mentioned, I really despise the single exhaust (dual tip) as opposed to the double exhaust on the 35i. Thought about a 28i and then aftermarket like Eisenmann, but that would run another $3,000...
Appreciate 0