New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-07-2015, 10:54 AM   #23
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
The largest CU in the nation is Navy Federal, followed by SECU.

The link below can assist with finding CU's by state, then the data can be filter sorted by assets size, location, etc...

Just for clarity - ALL CU's should be member first rather than profit first, regardless of size.

http://www.creditunionsdirectory.com/
But some CU's are bogus and offer poor rates. For example, once I belonged to the Foot Fungus Federal Credit Union. It was already 2008, and FFFCU didn't have an android app, so I closed my account. Then, I asked for my free foot powder and they said that's only when you open a new account.

Remember, they don't pay taxes and have an unfair advantage over banks. However, they also don't all outperform banks. I thought #2 was something else, but I stand corrected. I belong to #1 and #3, and both are excellent. I have only walked into a branch of #1, not #3.

In other words, I just want the best rates and products, they don't have to have a branch that I can walk into, because I never would go anyway. Everything can be done online, smartphone, etc.

If a CU puts their unfair advantage as $ into your wallet, why not?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 10:58 AM   #24
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
So I need money in my mattress to time things or its just in the market getting taken from me. Like now. I would be better off buying cars and hookers and enjoying myself.
I still crack myself up, watched too much Law and Order, Without a Trace, and CSI back in the day.

The day I picked up the 335i (Dec. 2006), I went to the bank and asked them to make out 3 cashier's checks for around $9,000 each.

WTF was I thinking? It took so long I was afraid sweat was going to start streaming out of my head. The bank mgr. kept coming up to me and saying thank you for your patience, it will only be a little while longer.

Yep, they did a SAR on me. And it wouldn't have mattered, the BMW dealer reports the transaction anyway since it's the aggregate, not the fact that each check is under 10k. My wife says she's the only one who would ever understand my behavior!
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 12:36 PM   #25
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070
Quote:
The largest CU in the nation is Navy Federal, followed by SECU.

The link below can assist with finding CU's by state, then the data can be filter sorted by assets size, location, etc...

Just for clarity - ALL CU's should be member first rather than profit first, regardless of size.

http://www.creditunionsdirectory.com/
But some CU's are bogus and offer poor rates. For example, once I belonged to the Foot Fungus Federal Credit Union. It was already 2008, and FFFCU didn't have an android app, so I closed my account. Then, I asked for my free foot powder and they said that's only when you open a new account.

Remember, they don't pay taxes and have an unfair advantage over banks. However, they also don't all outperform banks. I thought #2 was something else, but I stand corrected. I belong to #1 and #3, and both are excellent. I have only walked into a branch of #1, not #3.

In other words, I just want the best rates and products, they don't have to have a branch that I can walk into, because I never would go anyway. Everything can be done online, smartphone, etc.

If a CU puts their unfair advantage as $ into your wallet, why not?
CU's are not for profit organizations - banks are for profit.

I am not sure you completely understand CU's mission and why they are income tax exempt. It's not a question of fair or unfair advantage - the federal tax code allows CU's to exist and operate this way to serve a need.

Banks reward only the shareholders with profits, while the general customers pays fees to support this profit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 01:11 PM   #26
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
CU's are not for profit organizations - banks are for profit.

I am not sure you completely understand CU's mission and why they are income tax exempt. It's not a question of fair or unfair advantage - the federal tax code allows CU's to exist and operate this way to serve a need.

Banks reward only the shareholders with profits, while the general customers pays fees to support this profit.
I honestly think that sometimes they are getting loosey goosey with their charters....in other words you can pay to play, not all, probably not most, but some....

Let's be real....it's not easy for a bank to write a car loan at 1.49%, on a used car. CU's do. Or extend that offer for a refi of a late model car. The risk is not commensurate with the reward, on the bank side. Again, as a consumer, definitely join a CU.

FFFCU was supposed to be comprised of members suffering from foot fungus, but nobody ever asked me to remove my socks....
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2015, 01:31 PM   #27
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

^

Do you suffer from Toe Jam as well...?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 12:24 PM   #28
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
I still crack myself up, watched too much Law and Order, Without a Trace, and CSI back in the day.

The day I picked up the 335i (Dec. 2006), I went to the bank and asked them to make out 3 cashier's checks for around $9,000 each.

WTF was I thinking? It took so long I was afraid sweat was going to start streaming out of my head. The bank mgr. kept coming up to me and saying thank you for your patience, it will only be a little while longer.

Yep, they did a SAR on me. And it wouldn't have mattered, the BMW dealer reports the transaction anyway since it's the aggregate, not the fact that each check is under 10k. My wife says she's the only one who would ever understand my behavior!
Good lord. Was it you or the seller who was concerned about the IRS?

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 02:46 PM   #29
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

lets not forget Cocaine
little bit of cocaine never killed anybody
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2015, 02:49 PM   #30
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Is that a reason to abandon your account. Busy face down in a pile?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2015, 11:20 PM   #31
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
You know our economy has a problem when carrying large sums of cash is subject to Civil Asset Forfeiture if the wrong asshole cop sees it, no liability whatsoever on anybody's part if the money is stolen from the mattress, banks like to charge you fees to hold YOUR money, and if you don't move your money, you're esCHEATED out of your money and have to stop the government from taking it from you.

In other words, you don't own your money, you're just merely the jackass that holds onto it. Ain't life grand?
::THE MACHETE::
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 07:10 AM   #32
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

I needed to find this post.

OK, so look at the date, I got my $3.xx back by refund check.

What came in the mail yesterday? A statement showing the account had a $0 balance, and service charges. I know it's not unbelievable, but in a way, it is.

How many hours does it take on the phone to close an acct? And seriously, I own this bank stock, bought when Buffet did, they're awful.
Appreciate 0