New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-05-2015, 09:26 AM   #1
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1

Any experience with stomach flu and going to the hospital?

I came down with something fierce yesterday and it's not improving. I am in a high level of discomfort and some stomach pain. I'm contemplating going to the emergency room but I'm not sure they will do anything. I just want to not hurt. Anyone have any advice, Google didn't help too much.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 09:30 AM   #2
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Feels like shit eh? Last time I had one, I just manned up till it passed. Try to knock yourself out and sleep thru it. You'll be fine.

Btw, I'm not a doctor. Get well soon though.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 09:31 AM   #3
Axius
Banned
Seychelles
Rep
Drives: 612 Scaglietti

My advice; See a professional and don't take advice from Bimmerpost for health issues.

Option 1: Man it out

Option 2: See doctor

Option 3: TBD
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 09:32 AM   #4
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Have you puked your guts out yet? If not then it ain't that bad yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 09:36 AM   #5
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep

No puke, the other end. I don't hold high regards for local doctors. The advice I'm looking for if anyone has been here and gotten treatment. I do feel like a pussy.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

I get these from time to time and become SEVERELY dehydrated.

Be mindful of fluid loss - eat bland foods (chicken noodle does help), drink clear liquids and if the problem persists for more than 3 days - go to the Dr.

Sometimes this issue becomes Gastroenternitis with Illium. This is where the intestine swells shut and forms has pockets - incredibly painful for several days....
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 10:27 AM   #7
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

It's been a few years since I last went in, but flu with "bottom discharge" is always a dehydration issue for me. ESPECIALLY being diabetic.

Wife had to drive me the last time, which seemed fitting because I was blaming it on some soup she made for me. I was nearly passed out and moaning in the lobby. They took me back, gave me some nausea injection, pumped an IV bag into my veins, then sent me home. Slept, and the next day was back at work
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 10:52 AM   #8
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Stay hydrated and maybe try and get some pepto or tums to calm your stomach. If you're running a high fever of 100+, runs and vomiting, you need to go to the ER. But since you're on the forums... sounds like you'll be aight with some rest.

Seriously though, stay hydrated. See if someone can bring you some pedialyte.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 12:44 PM   #9
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

As a fully qualified internet doctor/mechanic/brain surgeon/ etc etc

Here is my tuppence worth (go on google it)

1> Always seek (real) medical advice first
2> Emergency rooms as Dr' offices are FULL of germs, you go there. you'll get sicker.

3> In food poisoning, or where food handling is poor, (even your own personal hygiene) can cause what you are saying, also norovirus as similar symptoms.

4> with any kind of d/reha try and thing within the last 24 hours where and what you ate.

5> STAY hydrated, you can get diarolyte or similar (salt and sugar water) sip it and keep off hard food for at least 24hours, give your stomuch a chance to rest

6> Depending on what and where the pain is depends on the action you take
I've been told, that "IF" symptoms dont clear up or feel better after 48hours of stopping food BUT keeping fluid intakes, go see a doctor.

Again I'm only qualified to give you this information on the net
if I'm wrong PLEASE DO NOT SUE ME !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mccannable View Post
I came down with something fierce yesterday and it's not improving. I am in a high level of discomfort and some stomach pain. I'm contemplating going to the emergency room but I'm not sure they will do anything. I just want to not hurt. Anyone have any advice, Google didn't help too much.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 12:48 PM   #10
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Jmho

All this is great advise,

Though I wouldn't take any tablets etc to calm your stomach, if it needs to come out, your body is doing the right thing.
And I suspect that peto or anything else, won't make the blindest bit of difference.

But Eal has got it right

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
Stay hydrated and maybe try and get some pepto or tums to calm your stomach. If you're running a high fever of 100+, runs and vomiting, you need to go to the ER. But since you're on the forums... sounds like you'll be aight with some rest.

Seriously though, stay hydrated. See if someone can bring you some pedialyte.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 12:50 PM   #11
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep

T1 then T2 since 2003 so I hear ya,

I was once told by a doc, for people with certain illnesses when it comes to d/rea, it is VERY important to stay hydrated.

Mind you last time that happened to me my daily BG's where great
(because I wasn't eating )

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
It's been a few years since I last went in, but flu with "bottom discharge" is always a dehydration issue for me. ESPECIALLY being diabetic.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 01:01 PM   #12
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

I'm not going to give you my input because anything that I say can and will be used against me in a court of law. I have the right to an attorney. If I cannot afford an attorney, one will be provided for me. With these rights in mind, do you wish to speak to me?” Please answer ASAP
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 01:15 PM   #13
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

If you feel awful, no reason to wait, but go to your primary care physician rather than the emergency room. As others stated, try to stay hydrated.
      10-05-2015, 01:15 PM   #14
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Down in the South - this is more commonly referred to as a bad case of the 'Green Apple Splatters'....
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 01:39 PM   #15
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaye944 View Post
T1 then T2 since 2003 so I hear ya,

I was once told by a doc, for people with certain illnesses when it comes to d/rea, it is VERY important to stay hydrated.

Mind you last time that happened to me my daily BG's where great
(because I wasn't eating )
Wait, how did you go from T1 to T2????? I want some of whatever it is you were smoking

When I was sick, and drinking mainly pedialyte (that shite SUCKS!) or just trying to keep water down, my BG was all over the chart. I think my liver has become very good at releasing stored glucagon at the slightest stressor.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 03:10 PM   #16
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Yes, he must have meant T2 then became T1...

And yeah, the pedialyte is awful. When my T1 son has an issue, we usually go with the low calorie gatorade or some similar product. As long as OP can keep food and drink down and is not running a high fever, I agree with others. Hydrate and give it a couple of days to run its course...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 03:25 PM   #17
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

I'm right there with you man. Here's my story:

A few years ago on an Easter, I had a get together with family with a ton of food, drinks, etc. I was in for the worst night of my life. I threw up every 20 minutes from 12am until 8am...I'd guess over 30 times. This wasn't the normal throwing up...it's was very violent, almost gagging, and very intense heaves. And of course the other end too....just crazy.

I literally thought I might die because it was too intense and the nausea was out of this world. I thought I might have some rare disease or some shit.

This was an Easter weekend, so NOTHING was open to get checked out.

I felt so bad and was so worried for my health that I went to the hospital. I threw up several times on the 10 minute trip to the hospital. Right when I checked in, they gave me an anti-nausea med in an IV, took a BUNCH of tests, and even did a cat scan. That IV with the meds was amazing.

Long story short, the hospital bill was around $12,000, so be careful before you just pop off to the hospital. I negotiated it down with my insurance and the hospital and ended up paying about $2k out of pocket. I still say it was totally worth it because I was very ill, worst I've ever felt, and I saw at least 4-5 different doctors.

They never determined what it was other than probably some intense food poisoning, but I was out of the hospital in 6-8 hrs. Interestingly, 8 other people had no issues with any sickness, so I am doubting food poisoining.

I weighed myself and even with the fluids at the hospital, I lost 15lbs in under 24hrs. The fluid loss was incredible.

Don't mess around. If you have insurance, go to the hospital. I'd try to do an urgent care first, but I couldn't in my case.

Last edited by BayMoWe335; 10-05-2015 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 03:27 PM   #18
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

Carry lots of BUU (Back Up Underwear) to work.
Appreciate 2
      10-05-2015, 04:28 PM   #19
mccannable
First Lieutenant
Rep

Update: I died.

No, went to urgent care. Got 1000cc iv rehydration and anti nausea which seems to help. I'm still here,3 hours later, getting iv. They wouldn't do pain meds due to low blood pressure and they are sending me for ct scan tomorrow. Thanks for the advice. This is best, still shitty, I have felt since last night.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 04:37 PM   #20
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

The low BP is a result of the dehydration, usually. Nothing for the heart to pump when you dump it all in the toilet.
Check your weight measurements, just for fun. Water weighs 8lbs/gal.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 04:48 PM   #21
///F80M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post

A few years ago on an Easter, I had a get together with family with a ton of food, drinks, etc. I was in for the worst night of my life. I threw up every 20 minutes from 12am until 8am...I'd guess over 30 times. This wasn't the normal throwing up...it's was very violent, almost gagging, and very intense heaves. And of course the other end too....just crazy.

I literally thought I might die because it was too intense and the nausea was out of this world. I thought I might have some rare disease or some shit.

I felt so bad and was so worried for my health that I went to the hospital. I threw up several times on the 10 minute trip to the hospital. Right when I checked in, they gave me an anti-nausea med in an IV, took a BUNCH of tests, and even did a cat scan. That IV with the meds was amazing.

Long story short, the hospital bill was around $12,000, so be careful before you just pop off to the hospital. I negotiated it down with my insurance and the hospital and ended up paying about $2k out of pocket. I still say it was totally worth it because I was very ill, worst I've ever felt, and I saw at least 4-5 different doctors.

They never determined what it was other than probably some intense food poisoning, but I was out of the hospital in 6-8 hrs. Interestingly, 8 other people had no issues with any sickness, so I am doubting food poisoining.

I weighed myself and even with the fluids at the hospital, I lost 15lbs in under 24hrs. The fluid loss was incredible.

Don't mess around. If you have insurance, go to the hospital. I'd try to do an urgent care first, but I couldn't in my case.
It was food poisoning.

I have had food poisoning a couple times now and my stomach is more sensitive compared to others that eat the same food. I just usually wait it out even though I'm vomiting like 20 times. It goes away in 24hours. I only went to the ER the first time around and the IV was great lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2015, 04:50 PM   #22
ASBSECU E93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335

I've been there too....lost in excess of 15 lbs several times. Has 4 liters once.

Became so dehydrated - passed out a couple times and my hands would cramp if I tried to use the remote control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0