New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-13-2015, 03:32 PM   #23
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
I lost my glasses a few weeks ago and spent almost an entire day looking for them. Finally, I vaguely remembered putting them on the roof of my car when I put my sunglasses on. Just before dark I decided to walk the first little bit of my drive. Sure enough, on the right side of the road about 20 yards from my driveway were my glasses - in one piece and without a scratch. I was shocked.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 03:50 PM   #24
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Few months ago I built a custom pair of Nike id's, exactly how I wanted the colors and everything. So I have it shipped to work, and finally get it after like a month because they build them from scratch. After the train ride home I am about half way back to my door when I realize I am not holding enough stuff. Those things are right now sitting on the luggage rack of the train. So I bolt back to the station, the train is gone. So I go home and fill out the lost item report. I called up the MTA but they said the only thing I can do is fill out the report and check lost and found. I happen to be on a line that is basically a one track dead end, everything has to turn around. So I ran back again and caught the next train I could on the opposite side and was literally at the front of the train with the engineer's checking their route books to see when that train might wrap around again. Meanwhile this train is full of people. haha So unfortunately they said it most likely already came back around. So at that point they are just gone, random pair of brand new custom kicks in New York. Yea i might see them again. Lo and behold a day or 2 later I get a message that my item is in the lost and found. I went in on the way to work and sure enough, somebody found them (possibly from the train staff) and brought them in. Could not believe it. I forbid myself from complaining about train service for about 6 months.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 06:55 PM   #25
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlinePSI View Post
I forbid myself from complaining about train service for about 6 months.
Nice. Reminds me of when I lost my credit card in a convenience store. Cop was in the store, picked it up, tried to get my info from Citi, who would not give the officer any info, but said they could relay a message.

Citi called me at my office, said PD has your credit card, call them. I called and said I could get it after work, they said if it makes it easier, we'll send an officer to your office to deliver it. After they brought it back to me, I said no cop jokes (donuts, blah blah blah, etc.) for a year, and I kept my word....
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 07:14 PM   #26
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Remembered another one.

My wife then girlfriend and I were out running around in the car. I think she wanted me to hear a noise she said her car was making. We stopped at a local high school parking lot. I was peaking in the engine bay. Then we left. When we got home she realized one of the diamond earrings I gave her for Christmas was missing. It must have fallen off some where. I figured it had to be at the high school parking lot. So we drove out there. This was probably 2 hours or so after we had left there. It was night time so finding the earring would have been the proverbial needle in a haystack. I had a flashlight with me. I was walking around approximately where we had parked and walked around. Just as I was swinging the flashlight in a particular direction, I got a reflection back. I ran towards it and there it was the earring.

While I paid quite a bit for the earrings, I wasn't worried if we didn't find it. I had paid for the earrings with my AMEX card that has accidental damage, lost, and stolen coverage. So if we couldn't find it, I would have filed a claim with AMEX to get a replacement.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 08:15 PM   #27
Diesel X5
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5 35d X

Garage List
Yes ! There are still some good people on this planet.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 06:40 AM   #28
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Just thought of two more (man I better be careful).....I lost my US Passport twice.

Once, I left it in a rental car. I had my parents' address penciled in the front cover. I rushed back to the rental car place at the airport within 40 min. of realizing it was lost. Nope, they couldn't find it. But it was a massive operation dealing with returned cars.

3 years later, it gets mailed back to my parents, from Florida (the airport was in NY)?

The 2nd time, lost my passport in Montreal. The US Consulate calls my parents, who call me, and someone turned it in?

Knock on wood I have not lost my wallet in over 15 years--misplaced, forgotten, yes, lost, no.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #29
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Nice. Reminds me of when I lost my credit card in a convenience store. Cop was in the store, picked it up, tried to get my info from Citi, who would not give the officer any info, but said they could relay a message.

Citi called me at my office, said PD has your credit card, call them. I called and said I could get it after work, they said if it makes it easier, we'll send an officer to your office to deliver it. After they brought it back to me, I said no cop jokes (donuts, blah blah blah, etc.) for a year, and I kept my word....
haha nice.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 08:59 AM   #30
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Ya.

Lost one of my magnetic work lights. Left it stuck in a engine bay on the firewall when I was replacing the front exhaust pipe gasket.

Bought a replacement.

Left that one in the trunk of a customers car.

Bought another replacement.

Six months later the customer is back that I was working in the trunk. Light was still there!

Now I have two!

ANOTHER six months later. Customer that I replaced the exhaust gasket on comes in for an oil change. Light is still stuck to the firewall! And the light still works.

Now I have 3 work lights.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 09:00 AM   #31
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
Remembered another one.

My wife then girlfriend and I were out running around in the car. I think she wanted me to hear a noise she said her car was making. We stopped at a local high school parking lot. I was peaking in the engine bay. Then we left. When we got home she realized one of the diamond earrings I gave her for Christmas was missing. It must have fallen off some where. I figured it had to be at the high school parking lot. So we drove out there. This was probably 2 hours or so after we had left there. It was night time so finding the earring would have been the proverbial needle in a haystack. I had a flashlight with me. I was walking around approximately where we had parked and walked around. Just as I was swinging the flashlight in a particular direction, I got a reflection back. I ran towards it and there it was the earring.

While I paid quite a bit for the earrings, I wasn't worried if we didn't find it. I had paid for the earrings with my AMEX card that has accidental damage, lost, and stolen coverage. So if we couldn't find it, I would have filed a claim with AMEX to get a replacement.
Speaking of needle in a haystack; I was spending the day snowboarding, and when I got back to the base of the mountain, then finally to a bench to chill out for a bit, I realized half of my binding was off. A screw fell out somewhere and this basically ended my day, unless I went to rent a board just for a few more hours which I probably would not have done. So I look up and i'm like this thing can be anywhere, but I decided to walk the base and I focused on the area I took the board off to walk. Now it's not the biggest mountain in the world, but that is still a large area to cover, looking for a screw in the snow. Anyway, I actually found it half buried. Put it back in and my day was saved. Not quite as valuable as a diamond, but still a nearly impossible find.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 02:37 PM   #32
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep

Today I lost my ice hockey discount card, that is valid until 10/16. Some lady tells me I dropped it and hands it back! What I need to figure out is why I am dropping stuff. Certain things need to be treated like cash....wallet is busted at the seams, prolly contributing....(TSA said it's a George Castanza wallet last time I flew to Hotlanta)
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2015, 02:51 PM   #33
Myrder
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i MSport 6MT LMB

Years ago I was installing headers on my car and as I was underneath, I handed my sunglasses to my friend to put somewhere. Fast forward to job done, we cannot find my glasses. Looked everywhere. Friend split some new shades with me (didn't ask he offered) and went about life. 2 years later, I'm replacing a foglight bulb and what do I find, my sunglasses, covered in 2 years of dirt still in decent shape lol. That was a surprise. They had wedged themselves next to the foglight...talk about odd.
Appreciate 0