BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW Z4 Forums (G29) BMW Z4 (G29) General Forum First G29 Z4 Roadster Prototype Spied, Returns to the Soft-Top!

Closed Thread

04-01-2017, 04:34 PM   #419
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Have you seen the car? It is smaller and more compact than you may even think. Carbon Fiber tub, ragtop, eMotor on the front axle, a lot to like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
Have you seen the pics? It's not small and compact. I'm guessing it'll be 3,600+ lbs
Do we have confirmation that the Z4/5 has a carbon tub?
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 06:04 PM   #420
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by red-sauerkraut View Post
Have you seen the car? It is smaller and more compact than you may even think. Carbon Fiber tub, ragtop, eMotor on the front axle, a lot to like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR View Post
Have you seen the pics? It's not small and compact. I'm guessing it'll be 3,600+ lbs
Do we have confirmation that the Z4/5 has a carbon tub?
Yes. Front/Mid engine, rear transaxle.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 06:10 PM   #421
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemetier View Post
rear transaxle.
Are you sure about a rear transaxle?
That would be a first for bmw I think.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      04-01-2017, 06:23 PM   #422
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
Are you sure about a rear transaxle?
That would be a first for bmw I think.
Good things happen when BMW and Toyota collaborate.

Front Axle Electric, mid mounted B58, Rear Axle ICE Hybrid combo.

There will be a Z2/GT86 and Z6/LF-A 4some aswell
Attached Images

Last edited by lemetier; 04-01-2017 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 12:03 AM   #423
c63er
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by supra93 View Post

Online rumors are saying there will be a smaller Z3 after the launch of the Z5. It will be built on a shorten Z5 chassis. Toyota may also use this for a second gen 86.

And the smallest Z1 is said to be built on the modular platform UKL1. Perhaps a reskin MINI Superleggera?
I can hardly believe that. The last z4 was a really poor seller at the end of its days, especially in the US. And over six months after production stopped there still isnt a successor ready.
For bmw this is a bad market segment in these days. I dont see them expanding this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1981 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by supra93 View Post
I believe awhile ago, Scott has said the new Z5 will be aimed at the F-Type. And than in an interview with EVO; Toyota's chief engineer has hinted their version has its eyes set on the Cayman.

Now rumor mill time.

Online rumors are saying there will be a smaller Z3 after the launch of the Z5. It will be built on a shorten Z5 chassis. Toyota may also use this for a second gen 86.

And the smallest Z1 is said to be built on the modular platform UKL1. Perhaps a reskin MINI Superleggera?

Rumors are also saying with a larger new 8 that the next gen 6 will be smaller and lighter, think 911 fighter.
Stop saying 911 fighter. No where has BMW ever said that. BMW did say they are NOT a sportscar company. They will never make a 2 seater sports car to rival 911, or R8.

N E V E R
Both of you hit the nail on the head.

The fantasy of hoping for this and that and ignoring what's infront of us has to stop.

People have voted with their wallets with the e89 and bmw marketing is a cuckoo machine, they decide to double down on the e89 formula but cut their costs by teaming up with Toyota. Bad idea because while on paper it might make sense to someone who doesn't care about cars, the formula will fall apart when people have to think about putting good money into a piece of badge engineering. I predict this car will have every 3 letter system the world could ever dream of and be a wet dream for the little video game racers out there but at the same time be a total buzzkill because of it. After the initial inevitable hype dies down that will be that.

Let see how this goes, at some point something will make bmw wake up and smell the coffee.
      04-02-2017, 12:07 AM   #424
Ratutory
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M Coupe

Unfortunately our "insider" on this forum (scott) is wrong way more than he is right. I wouldn't put any weight into most of the information he provides.
Appreciate 2
c63er876.00
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      04-02-2017, 06:11 AM   #425
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, thats certainly not bmw tech
But then it's probably going to be build in japan?
This is not compatible with any of the bmw platforms (and thus any of the factories)
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 07:02 AM   #426
lemetier
Plenipotentiary
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Interesting, thats certainly not bmw tech
But then it's probably going to be build in japan?
This is not compatible with any of the bmw platforms (and thus any of the factories)
They'll be built in Austria. The platform is CLAR in steroids.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 07:33 AM   #427
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratutory View Post
Unfortunately our "insider" on this forum (scott) is wrong way more than he is right. I wouldn't put any weight into most of the information he provides.
Oh, you mean maybe rationale that we got the 1M coupe as a consolation for no Z4M, a car which saw less than 800 units in NA, and worldwide production equated previous Z4M US delivery. Hah.
      04-02-2017, 11:24 AM   #428
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
They'll be built in Austria. The platform is CLAR in steroids.
Interesting. That transaxle combo looks more like something out of a 200k supercar the way its constructed. Do all CLAR cars get this driveline? Because this one takes up a hell of a space (it looks big to me in the picture). In a normal car you'd want something lower, but that would mean different subframe mounting points, which would mean the factory tooling probably wont fit anymore thus different platform.
Is that a picture from a supra press release or from a z5 press release?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 03:14 PM   #429
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Oh, you mean maybe rationale that we got the 1M coupe as a consolation for no Z4M, a car which saw less than 800 units in NA, and worldwide production equated previous Z4M US delivery. Hah.
And the Z4M was 1,800 units in NA, hardly a high production car.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 03:50 PM   #430
supra93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4, E500, Supra, RX7

Found some spy shots of the Toyota version next to the new 3er. One interior photo but sadly it was mostly covered up.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 05:01 PM   #431
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Supra looks like its about the right size. Good to see its actually smaller than the new 3er.
      04-04-2017, 09:45 PM   #432
supra93
Colonel
Rep

Renderings from Autoguide

Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 12:16 PM   #433
3GFX
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

I`m going to go out on a limb and say that`s waaaaaay off. Look at the shape of the headlights alone (under the camo).
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 12:40 PM   #434
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Most renderings turn out to be hilarious in hindsight

But always nice to see what some artist thinks is cool
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 07:56 PM   #435
supra93
Colonel
Rep

I think these are a little better.

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 10:41 PM   #436
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Meh, give me a 4C Roadster all day. That's the one car I could see replacing my Z4M with someday.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 11:45 AM   #437
wdb
dances with roads
Rep
Drives: '07 E86, '02 996, '95 Seven

Looks heavy.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #438
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Meh, give me a 4C Roadster all day.
A 4c is a much smaller and lighter roadster/coupe, like a lotus.
But also much more bare/basic.
With a z4 you can still go onto a holiday with your girlfriend, drive some alpine passes etc.
In a 4c or lotus....maybe not so much.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 11:01 AM   #439
supra93
Colonel
Rep

BMW’s Next-Gen Roadster Will Not Be Called the Z5

Quote:
BMW and Toyota are jointly producing a new sports car, but contrary to popular belief, the BMW model will not be called the Z5.

Details about the sports cars are as scarce as honest politicians, which is why internet speculation about these two models has been rampant for years. Automotive journalists (including us) have been reporting that these cars would be called Z5 and Supra, respectively. But that is dead wrong, at least for the Bavarian half of this partnership.

“There’s no such thing,” said BMW Americas boss Ludwig Willisch during an interview with AutoGuide.com. If anyone’s familiar with the top-secret sports car project, it’s him.

Tempering any fears that this highly anticipated duet of vehicles has been canceled, he clarified, “There will be a sports car, yes, but it’s not going to be a Z5. That’s something that someone else has made up.”

When pressed for details Willisch said, “It will be called Z… probably 4.” Of course, the last roadster BMW built carried the same name, but the Z4 unceremoniously went out of production around the middle of 2016.

During its multi-year production run, this roadster offered a range of engines including a base turbocharged four-cylinder as well as an upmarket inline-six that also benefited from exhaust-driven forced induction.

Is a straight-six going to find its way under the hood of BMW’s upcoming “Z probably 4”? Willisch said, “I would call it a Z4 [and] that’s no indication of the number of cylinders.” That sounds like a confirmation that an inline six will at least be on the menu for this upcoming machine.

As for hybridization or all-wheel drive, things are a bit murkier. Willisch noted a partially electrified drivetrain might benefit a modern sports car, but he said, “not so much,” for the availability of four-corner traction. Hybridization is Toyota’s area of expertise. One element of their corporate tie-up is they share electric secrets with BMW while the Munich-based firm delivers diesel engines to them.

Another element of the next-generation Z4 that’s also unclear is whether a manual gearbox will be available. BMW may offer more standard transmissions than anyone else, but the future of driving with three pedals is murky.

Even for the brand that prides itself on building Ultimate Driving Machines, the take rate for manuals in America is, at best, in the single digits. “Even a lot of people say… ‘That’s great, you still have them,’ ” said Willisch. “But you ask them, ‘What do you drive?’ [and they say] ‘Well, I have an automatic.’ ”

Not even BMW is immune to market forces; they can’t send out loads of cars equipped with manual transmissions that will sit on dealer lots for months on end. “If the customers don’t want it, we don’t have to offer it,” said Willisch, which is a painful truth. We sincerely hope plenty of drivers will want to row their own gears in the upcoming “Z probably 4.”
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...executive.html
Appreciate 2
mkoesel7511.50
wdb4718.00
      05-14-2017, 10:03 PM   #440
doane2u
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i M Sport E88

Very interesting, thanks
Appreciate 0