New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-07-2016, 10:24 AM   #1
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

ER Intercooler & Charge Pipe Mounting

I'm here working with my installer today. I am amazed at how crappy the installation of the ER intercooler is to the factory location. Specifically two miniscule D6x20 screws into factory plastic, suspending that unit, with a fan also hanging on it. Good God this is not a Honda Civic.

Anyone else concerned about how weak this installation is? Thoughts?

Filippo

Last edited by fmorelli; 09-07-2016 at 11:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #2
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm really getting tired of all the issues with products on this car. Let's keep going with my ER setup. The vacuum line for the Tial BoV they supplied is too short. The charge pipe connection to the throttle body is machined about 0.030" oversize so that once clipped into place, is loose and flops around, even though the o-ring seems to seal. This hardly makes for a secure connection. I expect the o-ring seal to fail over time with the tolerance slop. The inter connect pipe from charge to intercooler is about as round as a heirloom tomato. Just in case you think all of this is whining and I'm exaggerating, here's a photo of that ...

https://goo.gl/photos/qnUNmEMRz7geXABV6
https://goo.gl/photos/XDt4bZ9upGjZtYa28

Filippo
      09-07-2016, 11:26 AM   #3
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

That is really odd as one of the reasons why I went with ER cause of the least complaints. Also my installer doesn't even have a shop, he installed not only my ER hardware but my inlets and downpipes also

http://www.imgrum.net/media/10721819...059_2161967858

I dropped the car off to him in the early morning and picked it back up same day in the evening
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 11:57 AM   #4
jake169
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmorelli View Post
I'm really getting tired of all the issues with products on this car. Let's keep going with my ER setup. The vacuum line for the Tial BoV they supplied is too short. The charge pipe connection to the throttle body is machined about 0.030" oversize so that once clipped into place, is loose and flops around, even though the o-ring seems to seal. This hardly makes for a secure connection. I expect the o-ring seal to fail over time with the tolerance slop. The inter connect pipe from charge to intercooler is about as round as a heirloom tomato. Just in case you think all of this is whining and I'm exaggerating, here's a photo of that ...

https://goo.gl/photos/qnUNmEMRz7geXABV6
https://goo.gl/photos/XDt4bZ9upGjZtYa28

Filippo
That sucks, I am waiting for my ER CP with Forge DV's. I hope it is not this bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 03:15 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
I'm here working with my installer today. I am amazed at how crappy the installation of the ER intercooler is to the factory location. Specifically two miniscule D6x20 screws into factory plastic, suspending that unit, with a fan also hanging on it. Good God this is not a Honda Civic.

Anyone else concerned about how weak this installation is? Thoughts?

Filippo
Contact ER and send them pictures of the install

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 04:41 PM   #6
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

I had the same issues with the vacuum line so we swapped it out. Funny I thought ER fixed this a long time ago. Besides that everything went in pretty easy. There are a bunch of FBO cars with tunes running these pipes with out an issue, so I wouldn't be too concerned about o-ring failure.

But you're absolutely right, the parts for this model are a complete pain for the most part.
GC LITES / BQ TUNE / MHD / FUEL IT BT ECA / WALBRO 525 LPFP / KW V3 / E9X M3 CONTROL ARMS / TURNER REAR CAMBER ARMS / RE BUSHINGS / H&R SWAYS / LUXON STRUTBAR / VRSF 7.5" FMIC / ER CP / TIAL BOV / VTT IN/OUTLETS / AFE PRO5R INTAKE / AR C.L. DP / BMS OCC / RB PVC / CF LIP + SIDE + SPOILER + DIFFUSER / IND REFLECTORS / BLK GRILLS / STUBBY / PB BBK / Forgestar F14 F: 19x9 et35 R: 19x10 et38/ Michelin PSS F: 245/35/19 R: 275/30/19
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 07:57 PM   #7
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Vacuum line was easy. I suppose my point in mentioning it was just as part of the whole. The intake pipe is stable now, but only because everything else is attached to it. Pretty shoddy design. Not sure what is up with the square connector pipe. And yeah, I'm venting, but everything has gone that way for us.

On the bright side we fabricated brackets for silicone inlets and outlets, so they mount nice and sturdy. Managed to re-route DME wiring and some other stuff to make better room for the air filters.

Filippo
      09-08-2016, 08:17 PM   #8
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Contact ER and send them pictures of the install
VRSF is the same way. The 7" is really heavy and the only mounting points are the 2 original plastic screw holes on the radiator brackets.

The silicone elbow and the 90deg metal pipe are of no use in connecting to the Charge pipe. What it needs is another straight coupler that gets cut to length.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2016, 09:36 PM   #9
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yeah ... I'm going to start up a thread and try to share specific experiences, mostly in hopes that the information is useful to others - some folks here have been super helpful. Information is generally scant on the Z4.

Back to the two mount points, it could really use something beefier, but not simple to solve given the whole Z4 assembly is plastic and pretty hokie in my opinion.

Filippo
      09-18-2016, 09:22 PM   #10
ljkiter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4 35i manual

Quote:
Yeah ... I'm going to start up a thread and try to share specific experiences, mostly in hopes that the information is useful to others - some folks here have been super helpful. Information is generally scant on the Z4.

Back to the two mount points, it could really use something beefier, but not simple to solve given the whole Z4 assembly is plastic and pretty hokie in my opinion.

Filippo
Agree. I am looking forward to a tune and the 35i needs cooling. The e85 was even more hokie lol. Plastic everywhere
Appreciate 0