New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-03-2023, 05:59 PM   #1
Fasttimes7
Rep
Drives: E89

Broken roof partition parts, unable to lower roof.

I've had my 35i for about 5 months now, and the roof partition clips were apparently already broken that hold the partition down unbeknownst to me. I wasn't even aware that what I was seeing was broken to be honest as the top would still lower and raise and I just assumed the partition just lowered and stayed there. But I decided to replace one of the trim pieces in the area where the partition apparently clips into, and finally realized the clips were broken off and still in the partition bracket actually. Probably was that way from day one.

But now that I've stated removing the covers in that area and seeing broken plastic and a lose wire I can no longer lower the roof as I get a "roof partition" warning.

So, beyond the obvious of the two broken clips I see down there, what role does this wire with a black piece on the end play? What/where is missing that is throwing the code that the partition is not down?

And anybody know of a parts-breakdown that would show these pieces?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 04:17 AM   #2
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

Sensor to detect partition down.
Place something steel over it system will think it's down, just make sure it's down if operate roof!.
On partition there is a steel piece that lines up.
Steel on part 3 left.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=54_0495
8 left.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_7396

See problem as the sensor doesn't seem to be listed.

Last edited by bigendbob; 10-04-2023 at 04:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 09:51 AM   #3
Fasttimes7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigendbob View Post
Sensor to detect partition down.
Place something steel over it system will think it's down, just make sure it's down if operate roof!.
On partition there is a steel piece that lines up.
Steel on part 3 left.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=54_0495
8 left.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=51_7396

See problem as the sensor doesn't seem to be listed.
Appreciate it, that is what I need. The two 8's, Support Left/Right are broken and my suspicion is that the wire in the photo has the sensor/magnet on the end and the left support that is broken is what held that wire magnet in the right place for when the partition comes down they are in alignment.

I'll test my theory later today, if it's correct I'll probably just order the two parts and see if the sensor wire fits in the left piece in any logical way.

Otherwise I probably could rig this with some epoxy and tape but the two covers don't seem to be too expensive so might be just best to get from the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 12:10 PM   #4
Fasttimes7
Rep

Well, my theory didn't work as expected. I made sure the wire with what I thought might be the sensor was touching what seems like an aluminum square on the left corner but it didn't work, still getting the "partition error".

You can see the aluminum square in the picture I attached.

So now I'm not sure if that wire is the sensor, or how the aluminum square and sensor line up. Or am I missing a piece that may have fallen away?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 04:37 PM   #5
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

https://e89.zpost.com/forums/attachm...1&d=1696455367

Test using craft blade, sensor in clip and steel clip on partition.
Roof will operate with craft blade in place.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 06:45 PM   #6
Fasttimes7
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigendbob View Post
https://e89.zpost.com/forums/attachm...1&d=1696455367

Test using craft blade, sensor in clip and steel clip on partition.
Roof will operate with craft blade in place.
Perfect, thank you bigendbob, your pics are exactly what I needed to see.

That is the sensor on the wire, problem is I didn't know what end was up and down and it wanted to lay sideways. With your pic I'm able to see it has to be facing this way up, the clips that are holding it down are broken away on mine so the sensor is twisting sideways. I forced it to face up and clipped in the cover to hold it in place for now and ran a test and it worked.

I had already swung by the dealership and ordered the left/right covers and ordered a new sensor since I wasn't sure it would work at that point. Now that I know the sensor is working I'll try to return it and swap out the two mount-covers that hold the sensor and the partition down. All 3 for $96US, not too bad.

Unfortunately the two covers have to be sourced from the motherland so it'll be a good 4-5 weeks till I see them. In the mean time I'm trying to reattach the two broken off cylindrical parts the partition clips onto with some epoxy but not sure it'll have enough to grab onto and have the partition clip on and off without breaking them off again. We'll see.

I'll report if it works with some pics. Again, thanks for the assist.
Appreciate 0