New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-14-2008, 06:52 PM   #23
BMWI6
Major
Colombia
Rep
Drives: 335is

wow this car looks sick, but if it does not have a real parking brake, it is going to deter a LOT of customers. how can you drift then?
      10-14-2008, 08:13 PM   #24
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
This is going to be the best modern BMW.. i'm so psyched for this car
      10-14-2008, 09:01 PM   #25
amgthis
Tire Racks
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupè

Looks like the steptronic found on 5/6 series. Lookin good though. Nice wheels!
      10-14-2008, 09:22 PM   #26
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blip Bavarian View Post
6MT FTW!
x1,000,000

Who's the idiot designer/engineer at BMW that keeps reinventing the shift knob? We now have knobs that look like beer taps, women's personal sexual devices, silly "paddles" to make people who don't know what the hell a clutch is feel like they're special, etc.

I, for one, am VERY glad I have the current Z4M. It's the last of a dying breed, right down to the ignition key, which as of the end of Z4 production, NO LONGER EXISTS on any new BMW.. everything is the silly button-start setup. You gadget freaks will love the new car, I'm sure, but you can keep your iDrive, electronic parking brakes, beer tap shifters, 27-way adjustable suspensions, 7-speed clutchless transmissions, etc.. I'm a freakin' dinosaur and will continue to love my 6MT, lack of dubious "extras" that a true driver's machine don't need, and beloved 3rd pedal. Rock on!
      10-14-2008, 09:26 PM   #27
jgorman13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i, 2008 C300 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
Where are you getting that from? The picture above is a DCT transmission in the 3er and the Z will get it as well. The 3 series does NOT have the joystick as an option with the auto, only the DCT gets a joystick (different than the E-shifter)in 335 E92 in markets outside the US. The Z with normal auto will not see the joystick either.

Sources have stated this for about 5 months now.

I am not getting into a pissing contest here just trying to explain something in a fact based manner which some people appreciate...

Note this picture of the Z with the normal auto.

This is the E60 E-Shifter, different shape than the DCT seen in the previous post.

well last i checked a DCT doesnt have the push-pull paddles. and if that seriously will be the case, which I'm pretty sure its not, BMW needs to get rid of those annoying paddles and put regular ones on.

And btw, the "sport" automatic (NON-DCT) on the current us market 650i has an identical e-shifter to the one shown in the pics.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 10:07 PM   #28
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

oh man... look at that center console and the leather stitching
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 10:08 PM   #29
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorman13 View Post
well last i checked a DCT doesnt have the push-pull paddles. and if that seriously will be the case, which I'm pretty sure its not, BMW needs to get rid of those annoying paddles and put regular ones on.

And btw, the "sport" automatic (NON-DCT) on the current us market 650i has an identical e-shifter to the one shown in the pics.
I give up.... you believe what you like, though you are incorrect.

The non ///M DCT is exactly what I pictured directly from BMWAG in the 3 series with the paddle shifters, I doubt many have even seen this setup so how do you even know what you are saying? It is different than the E-shifter, look at the lines/shape and the placement of the buttons.

The shifter on the 650 is the same as the one in the E60 5 series (as I also pictured) E-shifter, which is DIFFERENT than the shifter used for the DCT. I am not contesting the 5/6 have the e-shifter as does the X5/X6, it is NOT the same as the DCT in the 335i or the soon to be released Z which are 7 speed dual clutches and different than the one in the ///M3, one is by getrag and one is by ZF.

This car is going to be amazing and wipe the competition, the suspension builds on the new tech in the 7 and from what sources indicate: It will have a form of LSD!

Maybe a cutaway view will help? This IS the non ///M 7 speed DCT transmission, notice the lack of torque converter (currently in the 335i outside the US, to debut in the Z for the US and then move to the 3 later in 09):

Last edited by mapezzul; 10-14-2008 at 10:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2008, 11:05 PM   #30
amgthis
Tire Racks
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupè

Quote:
I give up.... you believe what you like, though you are incorrect.

The non ///M DCT is exactly what I pictured directly from BMWAG in the 3 series with the paddle shifters, I doubt many have even seen this setup so how do you even know what you are saying? It is different than the E-shifter, look at the lines/shape and the placement of the buttons.

The shifter on the 650 is the same as the one in the E60 5 series (as I also pictured) E-shifter, which is DIFFERENT than the shifter used for the DCT. I am not contesting the 5/6 have the e-shifter as does the X5/X6, it is NOT the same as the DCT in the 335i or the soon to be released Z which are 7 speed dual clutches and different than the one in the ///M3, one is by getrag and one is by ZF.

This car is going to be amazing and wipe the competition, the suspension builds on the new tech in the 7 and from what sources indicate: It will have a form of LSD!

Maybe a cutaway view will help? This IS the non ///M 7 speed DCT transmission, notice the lack of torque converter (currently in the 335i outside the US, to debut in the Z for the US and then move to the 3 later in 09):

From a 650i non dct. Explain this. And you do know that BMW offers two types of automatics on the 5/6 series.One happens to be this one, while the other is a slush stick.
      10-14-2008, 11:49 PM   #31
mtrivedi
Rep
Drives: E90i Monaco Blue, Lemon

so...no one thinks this looks like MB SLKs??

Im excited to see un-camouflaged version but for some reason, it reminds me quite a bit of the SLKs. Is it just me???/
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 12:24 AM   #32
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrivedi View Post
Im excited to see un-camouflaged version but for some reason, it reminds me quite a bit of the SLKs. Is it just me???/
Nah not just you. Also reminds me of the MB SL slightly. Guess all these sleek hardtop convertibles just have some similar lines.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 04:06 AM   #33
zetterer
Rep
Drives: bmw

why wont you believe that the e89 gets a dct???

again:

N52: M6 or sport automatic tranny
N54: M6 or DCT...

like the coupe/convertible

and you will get a adjustable chassis, what makes the car more confi, even with this huge 19" rims...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 04:15 AM   #34
Shakal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterer View Post
why wont you believe that the e89 gets a dct???

again:

N52: M6 or sport automatic tranny
N54: M6 or DCT...

like the coupe/convertible

and you will get a adjustable chassis, what makes the car more confi, even with this huge 19" rims...
Don't expect N52 in Z4... that engine was replaced with N53 last year

And yes, N54 engine comes with non M DCT
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 05:50 AM   #35
HenningH
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
x1,000,000

Who's the idiot designer/engineer at BMW that keeps reinventing the shift knob? We now have knobs that look like beer taps, women's personal sexual devices, silly "paddles" to make people who don't know what the hell a clutch is feel like they're special, etc.

I, for one, am VERY glad I have the current Z4M. It's the last of a dying breed, right down to the ignition key, which as of the end of Z4 production, NO LONGER EXISTS on any new BMW.. everything is the silly button-start setup. You gadget freaks will love the new car, I'm sure, but you can keep your iDrive, electronic parking brakes, beer tap shifters, 27-way adjustable suspensions, 7-speed clutchless transmissions, etc.. I'm a freakin' dinosaur and will continue to love my 6MT, lack of dubious "extras" that a true driver's machine don't need, and beloved 3rd pedal. Rock on!
I totally agree with you.
Returned last week from Nürburgring and had a great time with the Z4.
Soo glad it has a manuell transmission
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 07:25 AM   #36
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
This doesn remind me of an SLK at all, this car has a much longer hood and the lines are very swoopy, the slk looks not only smaller but also more squarish to me. BMW hit a total homerun here... I cant wait to sit and drive one, hopefully mine
      10-15-2008, 08:10 AM   #37
iwant335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i

It will be awesome ! I LOVE BIMMERS ! Hope they'l make 35d
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 08:10 AM   #38
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkE90M3 View Post
This doesn remind me of an SLK at all, this car has a much longer hood and the lines are very swoopy, the slk looks not only smaller but also more squarish to me. BMW hit a total homerun here... I cant wait to sit and drive one, hopefully mine
Mark, I agree 100%. This car should be a home run. The interior should along with the driving dynamics set it apart from other brands; not even considering the exterior.... which is a knock out. The broken shoulder line is shear genius.

Do hope it exceeds our lofty expectations!
      10-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #39
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakal View Post
Don't expect N52 in Z4... that engine was replaced with N53 last year

And yes, N54 engine comes with non M DCT
N53 is not for the US, so it will still see an N52 variant here or (hopefully) the rumored 4 cylinder twin turbo mill.

EU will also see diesel configurations.
      10-15-2008, 08:22 AM   #40
Stoky
Private
Rep
Drives: Not a Z4

Quote:
Mark, I agree 100%. This car should be a home run. The interior should along with the driving dynamics set it apart from other brands; not even considering the exterior.... which is a knock out. The broken shoulder line is shear genius.

Do hope it exceeds our lofty expectations!
I know you have a ton of info on this new car and have been giving us a lot of info over the past 18months or so...thanks. I always look forward to your posts. Just wondering do you have an ideas about the pricing of the car, what will the base model start at? Similar to the Boxster or Slk starting at ~45k and pricing out in mid 60k's? Or can you not tell us?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 08:38 AM   #41
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoky View Post
I know you have a ton of info on this new car and have been giving us a lot of info over the past 18months or so...thanks. I always look forward to your posts. Just wondering do you have an ideas about the pricing of the car, what will the base model start at? Similar to the Boxster or Slk starting at ~45k and pricing out in mid 60k's? Or can you not tell us?

Thanks
In all honesty pricing has not been set. BMW is adjusting based on the market. The diesels (US) and the new 7 still have no set numbers (worldwide) and the range goes from a 5% to 10% increase in general but my info is conflicting so I take it all with a grain of salt at this point!

I doubt we will have any "hard" numbers until early next year. Last minute decisions including certain packaging are the norm now.
      10-15-2008, 08:43 AM   #42
dadogus
Rep
Drives: e92 320dA

dtc

i think is dtc the trasmission

the picture is taken from the 3=er catalog and the transmision is only for 335i

it will not look like there is in m3 ..it will look like there is in 6'series and 5'series
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 09:37 AM   #43
Shakal
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

New photos:

More is here:

http://www.worldcarfans.com/9081015....-on-the-street
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 09:57 AM   #44