New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

11-12-2015, 03:17 PM   #1
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
Pay it forward

On Monday driving back from NY/NJ I was approaching the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel toll and had the $4 ready to hand to the clerk. Low and behold he tells me that my toll had already been paid by the driver in front of me. To my disbelief I drove away not realizing I should have paid for the driver behind me as well. As i was exiting the tunnel I drove by the driver who paid for my toll and I gave him a thumbs up, however, I could barely see him as his red pickup had dark tint and it was still kinda dark out. If anyone has stories like this, please post them up.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 03:20 PM   #2
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

The local Christian radio station does a "Drive Through Difference" where as the first Friday of every month they encourage everyone listing to pay for the meal of the person behind them when going through the drive through.

It's pretty cool. Some of the recipients have called in, it seems to have really touched a lot of people.

Hook up someone else the next time you're at the tunnel.
      11-12-2015, 03:31 PM   #3
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Hmm. When I was in Vietnam first week of December, my buddy and I ate at a little shop inside a straw market place. There were 3 monks eating at a table across from us. Being raised a Buddhist and feeling blessed thus far in life, I paid for their meal without telling them.

Some years back I was eating at a local Korean restaurant and there was a group of 3-4 marines eating at a table across the room. I was feeling appreciative of their services so I paid for their meal. When they went to pay the owner told them that I had covered for their meal, they went to their car, grabbed a bunch of US Army stuff and gave them to me and thanked me. I just said "no, thank YOU for your service." The owner thought it was really cool as well and commended me for it. One time I came in right before they closed (unaware of it) and he stayed open late to accommodate me (he remembered and brought up that other time).
Appreciate 4
      11-12-2015, 03:32 PM   #4
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

I've never had it happen to me but I've done it for another once. Back when that toll use to be only $2. I was in a mad rush to get back to Columbia. All I had was a 10. Paid it and the lady was fumbling around to make change so I told her to keep it and let others through. She smiled, said thanks, and I tore out of there like a bat out of hell. I cant believe that thing is $4 now.

Now I have an Ezpass so it'll never happen to me
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2015, 03:34 PM   #5
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
To my disbelief I drove away not realizing I should have paid for the driver behind me as well.
Translation: I got home and my wife said "well, you paid for the driver behind you, right?"
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 03:39 PM   #6
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Garage List
I also just remembered my wife (gf back then) and I were eating at a Italian restaurant in Beacon, NY (were I was living) and our table was next to my SUNY New Paltz teacher (I forget what subject) and he paid for our meal. He and his family left before we did so I caught up with him after class the following week and thanked him.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 03:40 PM   #7
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
Translation: I got home and my wife said "well, you paid for the driver behind you, right?"
She was 1/2 awake in the passenger seat and told me I should have paid for the driver behind me
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 04:10 PM   #8
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30lolz View Post
She was 1/2 awake in the passenger seat and told me I should have paid for the driver behind me
LMAO
You'll never regret pursuing what you really want....ever. You will, however, regret NOT doing things you wanted to do.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2015, 04:37 PM   #9
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

I had somebody pay for my Burrito
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2015, 06:10 PM   #10
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

I have had had this happen many times getting a coffee at drive through...to my surprise someone paid my bill(awesomeness)
Going to start doing a different good deed than the deed that was done for me......I think this could start a sort of altruistic revolution if people look for things people can help others with in all areas of life and not just monetary this will definitely make the world a better place one small or big act/advice whatever etc etc at a time.
Pay it forward should be a way of life....pass it along!
"Be the change you wish to see....."
-Mahatma Gandhi
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 10:21 AM   #11
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Food is dear to my heart, so any time I see people in uniform around me in a restaurant, I try to get the waiter to add theirs to my tab, then just walk out like nothing happened. When I used to take my son and niece to breakfast before school on my Friday's off, they were the only ones I told.

Pass it on, and teach by example.

I took my old toilets to ReStore after I was done with them, and didn't get a receipt for taxes. . . kinds fits with the whole food idea
Appreciate 3
      11-16-2015, 12:58 PM   #12
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
I had somebody pay for my Burrito
what burrito was it?
      11-16-2015, 07:29 PM   #13
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep

I remember it was like yesterday I was done with workout then I was headed to chipotle for burrito. I started thinking did I bring my headphones from the locker room. I checked my backpack I sure did forget to put them in my backpack. I called Gold they said somebody turned them in they told me they will hold them until next day.
I started to walk and there it was I can see it I can smell it but I cant taste it yet.
I walk in I was greeted by smiling older gentlemen with kickass mustachios.
there was on front of me older lady with walker getting her tacos I think I cant recall if it was chicken or beef. soon she was finished then it was my turn.
Mr. Mustache asked me for here or to go I just smiled and said let make mom proud.
He knew what I was talking about he grabbed bowl to go.
Then it all started brown rice, pinto beans, extra chicken, fajita, extra pico, mild salsa, sour cream, and lots of cheese. At this point Mr. Mustache is having hard time keeping lid on because this was no ordinary burrito it was mountain of goodness.
I stared approaching register there was maybe 16 year old Guy looking like he might be in the boy band. I started thinking how much is this going to cost me $6.25 maybe $8.75 because of the extra meat at this point I just don't know. I asked how much he just said that young lady before you she took care of it. I stared thinking she didn't look that young but I was hungry I couldn't tell write from wrong young form old.
I never got to see her face I still sometimes wake up in middle of the night thinking who she is why did she do that what did I do to deserve such treat.
yeah it was chicken

sorry for any misspelling and grammar errors
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2015, 10:18 PM   #14
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL Jeffe 5 View Post
I remember it was like yesterday I was done with workout then I was headed to chipotle for burrito. I started thinking did I bring my headphones from the locker room. I checked my backpack I sure did forget to put them in my backpack. I called Gold they said somebody turned them in they told me they will hold them until next day.
I started to walk and there it was I can see it I can smell it but I cant taste it yet.
I walk in I was greeted by smiling older gentlemen with kickass mustachios.
there was on front of me older lady with walker getting her tacos I think I cant recall if it was chicken or beef. soon she was finished then it was my turn.
Mr. Mustache asked me for here or to go I just smiled and said let make mom proud.
He knew what I was talking about he grabbed bowl to go.
Then it all started brown rice, pinto beans, extra chicken, fajita, extra pico, mild salsa, sour cream, and lots of cheese. At this point Mr. Mustache is having hard time keeping lid on because this was no ordinary burrito it was mountain of goodness.
I stared approaching register there was maybe 16 year old Guy looking like he might be in the boy band. I started thinking how much is this going to cost me $6.25 maybe $8.75 because of the extra meat at this point I just don't know. I asked how much he just said that young lady before you she took care of it. I stared thinking she didn't look that young but I was hungry I couldn't tell write from wrong young form old.
I never got to see her face I still sometimes wake up in middle of the night thinking who she is why did she do that what did I do to deserve such treat.
yeah it was chicken

sorry for any misspelling and grammar errors
Extra meat for $2.50? Does it seem like a good value?
      11-17-2015, 11:08 AM   #15
Bobble
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Whatever POS the wife leaves

We do this on a small scale when on vacation, particulary Maui. Wifey is sun sensitive so we always buy the TB beach umbrellas at Costco and the day before we leave we find a family and give them the umbrellas but ask that they in turn give them to another family when they leave. We always give our left over supplies from the week to someone on staff at the timeshares no matter where we go.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 11:26 AM   #16
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep

I don't know Ace thats A $2.50 question can somebody elaborate on this?
I personally think its pricey but again am not one who decides how much they can charge per LB.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2015, 07:35 PM   #17
330xtrai
Do you even post BRO?
Palestine
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
One time I went snowboarding me and my friends were looking for a locker there was a guy and his son leaving and gave us the locker and pass word was kinda worried but in my head I was like Ehh why not. Took the locker and put out stuff in. Luckily out stuff was still there and the guy was being nice.
E90|330xi|SGM|Terra Cotta interior|Forged1 Wheels(one side red the other city lights)|M3 Rep Front Bumper|Msport Rear Bumper|KW V1 Coilovers|K&N Air Filter|OEM Black Grille|Red Cyba Air scoops|DIY Gloss Black Side Splitters|Tee rear splitters|Monkey Air Freshener|
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 01:58 AM   #18
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
For me, I was going through the roughest patch I've ever had; back in 2008 or so, I had it all, but my business partner decided to cheat taxes and my finances crumbled with the business, then I had no choice but to find jobs that were either paycheck-to-paycheck as it is, then get laid off, something would go horribly wrong with my job, or I'd latch onto temp jobs, but always managed to keep my head above water until last year.

As some of you may remember, I know I have a bad habit of being long-winded as it is (especially when I'm either passionate or angst-ridden but I'm slowly trying to get over it)... But since I was undergoing deep depression after hitting rock bottom after everything in my life + my father's death, for whatever reason I felt Bimmerpost was an escape and a place to vent a bit since my friends IRL weren't exactly helping me, especially one scumbag that promised me the world and would never deliver.

With that, BMW F22 suggested to post a GoFundMe, and I'm grateful for him and kevinbahnz, Curt2000, bimmette and a couple of others that didn't leave their screen name for helping out with roughly $150... I owe you all big time for paying it forward for me. Thanks again.

As far as what I did for others, I was on the Metro once and got talking to a homeless vet that was missing an arm (no sign of drug use + showing me his only prized possession: his Purple Heart and other chest candies + passing a few military questions since my best friend served and taught me jargon/things your average civvie won't know = legit enough, no stolen valor here), so I gave him a $5 and even a meal voucher that Wienerschnitzel sent me after I emailed corporate due to a mix-up... When I normally wouldn't give out handouts, or only keep it within less than $1 if I do.
::THE MACHETE::

Last edited by NEFARIOUS; 11-18-2015 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 3
      11-18-2015, 07:15 AM   #19
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

I thought of the term "pay it forward" a few weeks ago when the middle aged woman that I see at least 3x a week in the store in front of me in line at 7/11 couldn't find her wallet in her purse. I asked how much it was and figured $10.53 isn't bad, it's a nice thing to do and she would have her stuff she needs for the day, so I payed it for her. The next time I saw her, she looked right through me when I said good morning. I'd still do it again. But not if her order was $10.54

Last edited by wrickem; 11-18-2015 at 07:32 AM..
Appreciate 0