New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-22-2010, 12:41 PM   #45
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Auto manufactures all pretty much use the same techniques and methodologies to build cars now days. At the risk of hurting somebody's feelings, suffice it say that you could build a BMW in a Ford, GM, Chrysler, MB or Ferrari plant. It a matter of setting up the robots and having product on hand for assembly.

They control a few bit and pieces such as engine manufacturing, but the heart of it all today is outsourcing to control costs and "just in time delivery" of outsourced product to reduce the cost of billed product on hand, and to reduce the size and cost of warehousing product.

Electronic device parts and pieces for something like "Professional Sound" vs "Comfort Access" vs Navigation all look the same when you open the cover. Very impersonal with titles and packaging designed to satisfy marketing needs - nothing more - nothing less.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 12-22-2010 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2011, 10:47 PM   #46
mstevens
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M4Misano Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Whatever happened to Blaupunkt in its dealings w/ BMW? Many years ago they used to proudly display their name on stereos in BMW cars
Maybe. I remember Blaupunkts in my Dad's Mercedeses. My BMW's in the mid-80's had Alpine audio, then they went to BMW-branded. There may have been Blaupunkt in there somewhere, but I don't remember seeing it except as aftermarket.

Back on-topic:

I've had various BMW's with premium audio and without. My wife always orders without. In my opinion, one gets very little for additional money. I will probably never, ever listen to satellite radio, so that's a wasted feature for me as well.

I've almost always had standard transmissions (with the occasional auto which I've loathed - my wife flat-out refuses to drive them). I'm still trying to get used to the whole flappy-paddle thing and keep stomping on the non-existent clutch pedal. Obviously, I can't help with the paddle question.

My 35is has the 19" wheel option. It's the one thing that was on the car my dealer located that I would not have ordered. Harsh ride doesn't bother me in the least. However, on New Hampshire rural roads I'm certain I'll be paying to straighten wheels at some point - I've bent every BMW wheel I've had in this state, and 18" is the biggest wheel I've had so far. Sidewall is not the worst thing to have. I think it's a matter of taste rather than of performance. I would have ordered the regular 18" wheels.

My last Z4 was Sterling Grey with red leather. Gorgeous combination.

Last edited by mstevens; 01-11-2011 at 01:53 PM.. Reason: misremembered color name
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2011, 03:57 AM   #47
KrisNL
Hero of the Day
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
OT>
Whatever happened to Blaupunkt in its dealings w/ BMW? Many years ago they used to proudly display their name on stereos in BMW cars, now it's just "BMW Professional" or whatever. I assume that BMW stereos are still made by that company? How come they supposed lost their 'prestige' and no longer put their name on the stereo?
Blaupunkt is part of Bosch and closed in 2009. Bosch still produces radio systems for Audi, BMW etc under the cars brand.
      01-09-2011, 04:12 AM   #48
alan64
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by why13 View Post
Hi Guys,
I used to have a 2007 boxster S, test drove the 2011 Z4 35is DTC with 18" wheels

1) Loved the exhaust on the car
2) The steering was nice and the ride very supple on sport on 18" wheels
3) The handling was great too

But
1) The paddles was blah , push/pull instead of left and right like the ones in m3/ 535 etc.,

I have a few questions befoe i decide on the Z435 is vs another roadster ( 2012 sl, boxster etc)
1) Can the paddles be changed to behave like in m3, left for downshift and right for downshift?
2) Hifi audio worth it?
3) Ride on 19" wheels in Sport
4) White exterior with red interior vs space grey and red interior

Owners please let chime in with your feedback /any regrets on 35is

Thanks
two things. If you have some bad roads keep the 18's on. No wheel cracking and problems. Second, when I first got the car I didnt like the paddles either. Now wouldnt change them, they are great.
Appreciate 0