New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-30-2010, 04:37 AM   #1
pmlnnrt
Phil
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z-4 35i

Seatbelt/airbag malfunction warning

Got a message on my display - "Seatbelt or Airbag" malfunction - see nearest dealership

Anyone have it before - if so - what was the problem

Phil
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 05:12 AM   #2
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

probably the seatbelt or airbag...
      07-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
Your car is fine. Just don't crash it.

These messages are usually due to a bad electrical contact.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
TurboHank
Private
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011MY Z4 35i M sports pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmlnnrt View Post
Got a message on my display - "Seatbelt or Airbag" malfunction - see nearest dealership

Anyone have it before - if so - what was the problem

Phil
Yea I got those a couple of times the first month I had the car when I have a passenger. But when I am driving alone, i never get those lights. Now, two months later, when i have passengers, the warning light don't come on anymore... But I am definitely taking my car to the dealership if it comes on again.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
pmlnnrt
Phil
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboHank View Post
Yea I got those a couple of times the first month I had the car when I have a passenger. But when I am driving alone, i never get those lights. Now, two months later, when i have passengers, the warning light don't come on anymore... But I am definitely taking my car to the dealership if it comes on again.
Exactly- for a while - the warning would come on - with no one in the passenger seat - then after 2 hours with a friend there as a passenger the warning came on again - the next day - it was gone - and did not come on again for a week - however the last time it came on - its on to stay - each time I start the vehicle, it comes on - so maybe now we will find out what was happening !

Thanks for all your replys - I will be careful !

Phil
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Quote:
Exactly- for a while - the warning would come on - with no one in the passenger seat - then after 2 hours with a friend there as a passenger the warning came on again - the next day - it was gone - and did not come on again for a week - however the last time it came on - its on to stay - each time I start the vehicle, it comes on - so maybe now we will find out what was happening !

Thanks for all your replys - I will be careful !

Phil
I had 3-4 "Passenger Airbag" faults when we were in Europe. Cleared themselfs after a vehicle off/on cycle. Kinda of like rebooting the computer. Prior to redelivery I had the dearler check it out. They found nothing other than the registered faults. They could not replicate it. It seemed to happened when we were on rougher roads. No problems since redelivery - but then its only been about 150 miles and no long duration passenger stints over rough roads. It will be interesting to hear what they find with yours now that it is remaining faulted. Let us know what they find.

Last edited by HerrK; 07-30-2010 at 09:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 09:30 PM   #7
E89Tardis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Maybe some relevant info here.....

http://www.allworldauto.com/recalls/...ll_100123.html

http://www.allworldauto.com/tsbs/200...98-2009-1.html
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2010, 11:17 PM   #8
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

(posted in another thread)

Hmm, I just got that recently. For me, it seems to be triggered when I use the heated seats function for the passenger side: the airbag light goes on along w/ the seatbelt light...then the airbag light goes off but the seatbelt light remains: does that mean the airbag would still deploy in an accident? I have to restart the car to get rid of the seatbelt light.

Did anyone get it fixed? How long did it take and did the prb occur again?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 06:18 PM   #9
pmlnnrt
Phil
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
(posted in another thread)

Hmm, I just got that recently. For me, it seems to be triggered when I use the heated seats function for the passenger side: the airbag light goes on along w/ the seatbelt light...then the airbag light goes off but the seatbelt light remains: does that mean the airbag would still deploy in an accident? I have to restart the car to get rid of the seatbelt light.

Did anyone get it fixed? How long did it take and did the prb occur again?

Two Full days and counting- dealer is in touch with BMW engineers - however - no Joy after two days- btw - I dont have heated seats either ! -

will keep you posted when I get the car back and what they found !

Phil
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 11:29 PM   #10
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Two Full days and counting- dealer is in touch with BMW engineers - however - no Joy after two days- btw - I dont have heated seats either ! -

will keep you posted when I get the car back and what they found !

Phil
I *do* have heated seats and that is the only time the 'airbag light' comes on, when the heated seats are used. It never happens when I do not use the heated seats.

To clarify, of course it doesn't matter what happens on the driver's side, if I use the heated seats there, since the 'airbag light' is only referring to the passenger.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #11
TurboHank
Private
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011MY Z4 35i M sports pkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I *do* have heated seats and that is the only time the 'airbag light' comes on, when the heated seats are used. It never happens when I do not use the heated seats.

To clarify, of course it doesn't matter what happens on the driver's side, if I use the heated seats there, since the 'airbag light' is only referring to the passenger.
Yes this is the same thing I see. Never have any seatbelt warning light when driving by myself, however, when there is passenger, either with or without the heated seat turned on, the warning light comes on every now and then. Looks like several people on this thread have the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 12:53 PM   #12
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

^Thanks for your comment. To everyone, pls keep this thread alive when you get it fixed or if you have any updates. Thx again.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 06:20 PM   #13
pmlnnrt
Phil
United_States
Rep

got the car back after 2.5 days- they cleared the codes- and could not make the lights light up again - they cleaned and checked each connection - no replacment of any parts - a suggestion that moisture might have created a momentary short- who knows - will post again if it happens again -

Phil
Appreciate 0