New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-15-2017, 01:17 PM   #177
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senilsson View Post
Hello again,
a quick job-related question!
How difficult would it be for me to get a decent job?

I know there's a ton of variables and almost impossible to answer but I'm just curious how well (or bad) foreigners with no U.S. references are perceived*?
I know you are looking for something different, but I think your best bet is getting a Job doing what you know. Then seeking somthing different later.

I don't see you being foreign being a problem getting a Job, long as you have the paper work.

Edit: One last thing, look for a Job that offers health care benefits.

Last edited by 3rdcoast228i; 08-15-2017 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 03:20 PM   #178
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdcoast228i View Post
This is a very narrow view of a very large state. Texas is actually bigger than Sweden at 696,241 km2. Sweden being 450,295 km2.

There are differences in climate between North and South Texas but I will agree it is generally hot.

The food is awesome I don't understand why you would say that. Any major city will have a mix of food options from all over the world. A lot of Mexican food (Tex-Mex) but that's a good thing.

I don't think people in general are nearly as friendly as they used to be. Texans are friendly enough, but they don't put up with any B.S.

Yep South Texas does indeed border Mexico. But as said before, Texas is a very large state, you can be hundreds of miles from the border and still be a in a major city. Dallas being very very far from the border.

Texas has a great economy, ranking number 2 in the US, and 10th in the world. Taxes aren't too bad, no state tax, cost of living is lower than most.

As said before, paradise doesn't exist. Look at facts, then weigh the pros and cons.
No no. Texas would be a terrible choice. The OP definitely shouldn't move here. Terrible economy, horrible food, unbearable weather, unfriendly locals, the list goes on and on.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 03:34 PM   #179
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Quote:
This is a very narrow view of a very large state. Texas is actually bigger than Sweden at 696,241 km2. Sweden being 450,295 km2.

There are differences in climate between North and South Texas but I will agree it is generally hot.

The food is awesome I don't understand why you would say that. Any major city will have a mix of food options from all over the world. A lot of Mexican food (Tex-Mex) but that's a good thing.

I don't think people in general are nearly as friendly as they used to be. Texans are friendly enough, but they don't put up with any B.S.

Yep South Texas does indeed border Mexico. But as said before, Texas is a very large state, you can be hundreds of miles from the border and still be a in a major city. Dallas being very very far from the border.

Texas has a great economy, ranking number 2 in the US, and 10th in the world. Taxes aren't too bad, no state tax, cost of living is lower than most.

As said before, paradise doesn't exist. Look at facts, then weigh the pros and cons.
No no. Texas would be a terrible choice. The OP definitely shouldn't move here. Terrible economy, horrible food, unbearable weather, unfriendly locals, the list goes on and on.
Don't forget the ability to open carry "long knives" beginning next month, the popularity of Truck Nutz and the mystery of what's really in Willie Nelson's biofuel.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 03:35 PM   #180
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

Quote:
Understood
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 04:14 PM   #181
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
don't forget to mention all of the deplorables
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 06:54 AM   #182
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Soon BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
If that is the route you are taking might want to swing through Des Moines (just a tad out of the way from MN to IN/OH. Well worth the look as it has the feel of a bigger city without many of the drawbacks (traffic is good, lot of young professionals, low cost of living, etc.)

If you do swing through here drop me a line and I would be glad to show you around town.
Definately interesting, I haven't had Des Moines on my radar at all before.
I'll keep that in mind, thank you very much!

Quote:

I have been interested in Dallas, but idk about the traffic situation and the heat could be an issue for me. I would rather take two-three months of snow and chilly weather than 5 months of hot and humid.

Quote:
I know you are looking for something different, but I think your best bet is getting a Job doing what you know. Then seeking somthing different later.

I don't see you being foreign being a problem getting a Job, long as you have the paper work.

Edit: One last thing, look for a Job that offers health care benefits.
Thanks, first priority is to get any decent job that's available to get into "the system" and truly learn the language.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Don't forget the ability to open carry "long knives" beginning next month, the popularity of Truck Nutz and the mystery of what's really in Willie Nelson's biofuel.
Can't tell if serious....
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 11:25 AM   #183
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

Quote:
Definately interesting, I haven't had Des Moines on my radar at all before.
I'll keep that in mind, thank you very much!

I have been interested in Dallas, but idk about the traffic situation and the heat could be an issue for me. I would rather take two-three months of snow and chilly weather than 5 months of hot and humid.

Thanks, first priority is to get any decent job that's available to get into "the system" and truly learn the language.

Can't tell if serious....
Dallas would be great but I think Texas would be way to hot for you.
      08-17-2017, 01:13 AM   #184
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockin330i View Post
Dallas would be great but I think Texas would be way to hot for you.
Think so too.

Does anyone have experiences from Columbus, OH?
Haven't heard much other than nice people, cold weather and decent job opportunities.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 10:46 AM   #185
PoorLurker
Custom User Title
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a bicycle

Southern California

Dealers galore (and a lot of other job opportunities for people who have drive and hustle)
Great weather year round
Proximity to anything you would like to do (outdoor activities, beach, indoor actives, etc. There is something for everyone)
Great food

People's biggest complaint is cost of living but that is grossly exaggerated.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 11:34 AM   #186
OlBloo
Where to next........
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

As long as you stay away from the Midwest and southeast, you will find something you like.

Best thing to do is save up a couple grand and take a road trip around the country. You may dislike places you thought you would like and vice versa. BMW dealerships are present in pretty much every major city, so I would assume your prospects are good.

I'm from Texas and after traveling/living all over the country and world, the Pacific Northwest(Oregon and Washington State) is the most wonderful place to live in this country in my perspective.
Moderate weather, friendly and incorporating communities, and tons of federal land you can enjoy to get away from the city and enjoy nature!I'm dreading going back to Texas where it is the complete opposite.

I'm currently living around Raleigh, NC. Decent city but the heat/humidity here is stupid.

Last edited by OlBloo; 08-17-2017 at 11:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 12:00 PM   #187
Archie Bunker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:

I came from the tristate area to work in finance in Dallas. I live in Grapevine on the lake. Dallas traffic is bearable compared to the Northeast, and its only going to get better.
Dallas is one of the few cities I've been to that has seemingly unlimited growth potential. We have numerous NASDAQ and Fortune 500 companies headquartered or in the process of headquartering here. DFW airport is one of the most convenient in the country, and the housing market here is booming.
Dallas does not have the typical stereotype I had of Texas in general. That being said, there are a lot of new money dick wads and the competition in their click is disgusting and tacky. Uptown Dallas: barf. Dallas suburbs: lovely.
It does get a little warm here, though....

Whatever you do, don't go to Austin. Austin is fun to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2017, 12:21 PM   #188
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I have to throw in San Francisco. One of the most beautiful cities in the USA. Lots of jobs. Diversity is very good, lots of people from all over the world. It is a lot cleaner than NYC. No need for a car if you live in the city. Lots of nature, forests, mountains, skiing and other outdoor activities nearby. Weather is always mild. There's only 2 seasons, spring and fall. The highest it ever gets is 80 degrees F and it never dips below 50 degrees F.

But the flip side is, it is also one of the most expensive places to live in the US.

I am somewhat biased though.
      08-17-2017, 03:25 PM   #189
Terry989
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X1 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
This thread is kind of infected, but I would still like to get some opinions on my choices.
I have my visa interview scheduled in December which means I will take a trip to the states in January.

I am going to Minneapolis to get my green card and I will spend a few days in the area, but it's not my intention to stay there so I'm going to continue to Columbus, OH which is on top of my list at the moment. I had Raleigh as a contender for a long time but from what I've heard about the heat and traffic kinda I'm not that interested anymore.
I might want to check out Indianapolis, IN, Cleveland, OH and Pittsburgh, PA but it really depends on how much I like Columbus.

Any thoughts on Columbus or Ohio in general? Do you think I should visit a place nearby that's a hidden gem? As always, I appreciate any tips.

I would remove Indianapolis from your list:
http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2...eing/97335868/
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...ica/409064001/
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 04:53 AM   #190
Senilsson
Private
United_States
Rep

I'm starting to realize that the more I ask questions about places I'm just going to get bombarded with more opposing views. I've heard some extremely negative but also extremely positive reviews of all the places I've been interested in. I guess the only thing to do is to visit as many places as possible before I decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlBloo View Post
As long as you stay away from the Midwest and southeast, you will find something you like.

Best thing to do is save up a couple grand and take a road trip around the country. You may dislike places you thought you would like and vice versa. BMW dealerships are present in pretty much every major city, so I would assume your prospects are good.

I'm from Texas and after traveling/living all over the country and world, the Pacific Northwest(Oregon and Washington State) is the most wonderful place to live in this country in my perspective.
Moderate weather, friendly and incorporating communities, and tons of federal land you can enjoy to get away from the city and enjoy nature!I'm dreading going back to Texas where it is the complete opposite.

I'm currently living around Raleigh, NC. Decent city but the heat/humidity here is stupid.
Thank you for your input. I think you're completely right about visiting as many cities as possible.

I just have one question about the bolded part. What makes you say that? To me there's a bunch of cities in the midwest that seems somewhat liveable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie Bunker View Post
I came from the tristate area to work in finance in Dallas. I live in Grapevine on the lake. Dallas traffic is bearable compared to the Northeast, and its only going to get better.
Dallas is one of the few cities I've been to that has seemingly unlimited growth potential. We have numerous NASDAQ and Fortune 500 companies headquartered or in the process of headquartering here. DFW airport is one of the most convenient in the country, and the housing market here is booming.
Dallas does not have the typical stereotype I had of Texas in general. That being said, there are a lot of new money dick wads and the competition in their click is disgusting and tacky. Uptown Dallas: barf. Dallas suburbs: lovely.
It does get a little warm here, though....

Whatever you do, don't go to Austin. Austin is fun to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I have to throw in San Francisco. One of the most beautiful cities in the USA. Lots of jobs. Diversity is very good, lots of people from all over the world. It is a lot cleaner than NYC. No need for a car if you live in the city. Lots of nature, forests, mountains, skiing and other outdoor activities nearby. Weather is always mild. There's only 2 seasons, spring and fall. The highest it ever gets is 80 degrees F and it never dips below 50 degrees F.

But the flip side is, it is also one of the most expensive places to live in the US.

I am somewhat biased though.
Thank you, I'll keep your suggestions in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry989 View Post
Was never on top of my lists, just thought I could swing by and have a look when it was so close to Columbus.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 07:55 AM   #191
OlBloo
Where to next........
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

Quote:

Thank you for your input. I think you're completely right about visiting as many cities as possible.

I just have one question about the bolded part. What makes you say that? To me there's a bunch of cities in the midwest that seems somewhat liveable.
I should say it's just my prejudice after being around the country. There just isn't that much to do. Most people (even Americans) don't realize it, but the majority of the US is underdeveloped and very poor. Much of these things happen to be in the Midwest and southeast to the point it looks like a third world country.
Being said that, there are pockets with nice suburbs, but like I said earlier there wasn't much to do unless you like hunting, boating, dirt bikes, drinking etc.

Don't take my word for it though. You may end up finding other things you like and fall in love with one of these communities
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 10:25 AM   #192
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
I'm starting to realize that the more I ask questions about places I'm just going to get bombarded with more opposing views. I've heard some extremely negative but also extremely positive reviews of all the places I've been interested in. I guess the only thing to do is to visit as many places as possible before I decide.

Yes, you should visit all of the places you are considering and make the decision on your own. As for OlBloo, he has no clue what he is talking about. I have seen more slum activity in the largest cities on the coasts than I do around the midwest. It is true that a lot of people around the midwest, especially more rural areas, live a more simple lifestyle, but that is by choice and not necessarily because they have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlBloo View Post
I should say it's just my prejudice after being around the country. There just isn't that much to do. Most people (even Americans) don't realize it, but the majority of the US is underdeveloped and very poor. Much of these things happen to be in the Midwest and southeast to the point it looks like a third world country.
Being said that, there are pockets with nice suburbs, but like I said earlier there wasn't much to do unless you like hunting, boating, dirt bikes, drinking etc.

Don't take my word for it though. You may end up finding other things you like and fall in love with one of these communities
You apparently have never been to a third world country. There are no places in the US I have been to, let alone around the midwest that would even come close to comparing to a third world country. Where exactly in the midwest have you lived? I will venture a guess at nowhere.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 01:57 PM   #193
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Quote:
Think so too.

Does anyone have experiences from Columbus, OH?
Haven't heard much other than nice people, cold weather and decent job opportunities.
Don't have direct experience, but my wife works with a lot of people in Columbus and as a general rule they love it there.

Work is fairly plentiful right now, as unfortunately for my wife a lot of the people she has worked with have left for greener pastures.

Winter does get on the cold side (nothing worse than what you are used to) and they actually do not get that much snow. From everything I've heard their weather is quite similar to what we have in Denver (which I consider to be pretty much an ideal mix or heat/cold/snow).

They rank pretty high on quite a few best place to live lists, so overall not a bad option from what I can see.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 02:34 PM   #194
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
Southern California

Dealers galore (and a lot of other job opportunities for people who have drive and hustle)
Great weather year round
Proximity to anything you would like to do (outdoor activities, beach, indoor actives, etc. There is something for everyone)
Great food

People's biggest complaint is cost of living but that is grossly exaggerated.
how about slightly exaggerated depending on your locale
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 02:55 PM   #195
///mawana
Lieutenant
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: e90 M3

Lessons from an expat:
1. Just come, destination any state if you are a diversity winner
2. Spend the first one or two years traveling to as many states just to get a better perspective, even a weekend may be enough!
3. Profession: if you are in Finance like me, while you can work anywhere in the states, there are just a few states where opportunities are vast.
4. How often you'll be flying back to visit Sweden: If it's numerous, you can't rule out the East-Coast. Deals, airline deals, I miss those since moving Texas
5. Try to look at demographics data, if you like to be among your own you'll know the states to look for employment and eventually settle in.
6. Beef: if you love beef, don't bother with the Midwest or NE. Find states strong in beef farming. Filet mignon is not the same between TX and/or NJ. Same goes for seafood.
7. Women: Too many cougars in the Midwest.
      08-18-2017, 03:26 PM   #196
Kreester
Enlisted Member
Sweden
Rep
Drives: AW 135i N55 6MT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
Come on now Senillson. Vad fan lutar det åt? 😃
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 05:43 PM   #197
joeinsd
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stock 2010 e92 335i M Sport

I know there were a few that suggested San Diego, so I'd like to cast my vote for it. (Biased, because I was born and raised here and can't think of ever leaving)

When was the last time you've heard someone say no to San Diego? I think the only thing keeping people from moving here is the cost of living, but if you put a little effort in searching, you should be able to find a good housing deal.

Weather is perfect 99% of the time, people are great, beaches are nice, traffic sucks during rush hour.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 09:14 PM   #198
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

I'm an expat, now US citizen and I just moved to dallas from the SF bay... finance wise it was a huge upgrade (I make my bay area salary in a much cheaper part of America)

Dallas is much cleaner and safer too, unless you're rich enough to be able to afford san Mateo/foster city or mountain view etc.

You couldn't pay me enough to ever live in SF itself.
Appreciate 0