New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-18-2017, 07:26 AM   #1453
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Later in the evening......

Cohiba esplendido and Benromach......
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
///Mongo272.50
      08-18-2017, 07:37 AM   #1454
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep

Decisions......

This is my Whisk(e)y Room, still a work in progress. I need a few more shelves as the collection is growing, and spreading into Rum's Bourbon's, Irish and Canadians. The room's also going to hold the wine collection which is well underway, my humidor's and a gun safe.....I think we might call the room Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
///Cardia299.50
ShopVac4051.00
lakefront560.50
      08-18-2017, 08:14 AM   #1455
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
This is my Whisk(e)y Room, still a work in progress. I need a few more shelves as the collection is growing, and spreading into Rum's Bourbon's, Irish and Canadians. The room's also going to hold the wine collection which is well underway, my humidor's and a gun safe.....I think we might call the room Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms.

Impressive sir. One day I aspire to that collection. Not familiar with the Pilon CAO - looked like a darker wrapper - was it a Maduro?

I once found an individual going to Cuba who was able to bring me back a case of Cohiba Siglo VI - very much enjoyed them. Now it is mostly Dominicans, partially for value, but also because I refuse to pay Canadian prices for Cubans...so have to wait to find someone going over there again who can split a box (or get me a full one from a government shop).

Where do you get yours?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 09:18 AM   #1456
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post

Impressive sir. One day I aspire to that collection. Not familiar with the Pilon CAO - looked like a darker wrapper - was it a Maduro?

I once found an individual going to Cuba who was able to bring me back a case of Cohiba Siglo VI - very much enjoyed them. Now it is mostly Dominicans, partially for value, but also because I refuse to pay Canadian prices for Cubans...so have to wait to find someone going over there again who can split a box (or get me a full one from a government shop).

Where do you get yours?
The Pilon is a Robusto, they dry the leaves in stacks rather than by hanging.....a nice smoke. My wife and I go to Cuba every few years and I know a guy there. You don't want to know what I paid for the Cohiba's. We brought back 4 boxes the last time though.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 10:06 AM   #1457
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABAUKE View Post
The Pilon is a Robusto, they dry the leaves in stacks rather than by hanging.....a nice smoke. My wife and I go to Cuba every few years and I know a guy there. You don't want to know what I paid for the Cohiba's. We brought back 4 boxes the last time though.
I do want to know. But I know what prices are here and the markup makes me cringe.

For reference, I got the Siglo VI about 7 years ago as best I recall and they ran about $20/cigar after exchange.

So this guy - back alley or government store? I've never been, but I've heard you don't want to go to back alleys because controls in the factories (particularly Cohiba) are strict and so anything you buy is the rejects / poor quality. What's your take having been there?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 10:11 AM   #1458
Joekerr
Banned
Rep

As an aside - if you ever happen to be going down to Cuba anytime and wish to pick up an extra box, I'll pay you for it and drive to wherever within reason. I'm around an hour from Toronto so looks like we are pretty close depending where in the golden horseshoe you live
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 11:19 AM   #1459
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
I do want to know. But I know what prices are here and the markup makes me cringe.

For reference, I got the Siglo VI about 7 years ago as best I recall and they ran about $20/cigar after exchange.

So this guy - back alley or government store? I've never been, but I've heard you don't want to go to back alleys because controls in the factories (particularly Cohiba) are strict and so anything you buy is the rejects / poor quality. What's your take having been there?
The guy I deal with is associated with Cohiba. The esplendios are around $60 Canadian a stick in Southern Ontario. Lets just say I paid significantly less.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 11:50 AM   #1460
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Nice collection. Someday I'm going to have someplace with enough shelving but for now most of my collection is in boxes or the cellar. I'm an Islay fan (told its an acquired taste) and would recc adding Ardbeg (Corryveckan is my fav), Laphroaig (cask-strength 10yo, or quarter cask), and Bruichladdich (lots of variety, I like the heavily peated ones but they have un-peated). And Aberlour A'Bunadh, but that has gotten crazy expensive (I buy scotch like you guys get cigars, so I have a couple cases at old prices). These are all in heavy rotation at my place.

And from the organization strategy, looks like you may have CDO? .
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 11:59 AM   #1461
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I'm not a whiskey or scotch drinker but curious - do they have a shelf life in opened (or unopened) bottles?
      08-18-2017, 12:58 PM   #1462
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Nice collection. Someday I'm going to have someplace with enough shelving but for now most of my collection is in boxes or the cellar. I'm an Islay fan (told its an acquired taste) and would recc adding Ardbeg (Corryveckan is my fav), Laphroaig (cask-strength 10yo, or quarter cask), and Bruichladdich (lots of variety, I like the heavily peated ones but they have un-peated). And Aberlour A'Bunadh, but that has gotten crazy expensive (I buy scotch like you guys get cigars, so I have a couple cases at old prices). These are all in heavy rotation at my place.

And from the organization strategy, looks like you may have CDO? .
My wife has the CDO and she likes to have a taste now and again. My whisk(e)y consultant/best friend has an enormous collection and he is pushing me to separate the Irish, scotch, rum and bourbon so they don't fight .

I've come to really like Talisker, smokey and salty.....yum. And you're right, they are an acquired taste. Had Lavigulan years ago and hated it, now it's a staple.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #1463
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
I'm not a whiskey or scotch drinker but curious - do they have a shelf life in opened (or unopened) bottles?
Once they are opened there is a bit of evaporation, "the angles share" which also refers to the evaporation in the casks during aging. Other than that it doesn't go bad if thats what you're asking.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 10:31 PM   #1464
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Back to the Plantation Pineapple tonight.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 10:59 PM   #1465
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

At Melvin brewery in bellingham for heyZeus Fiesta
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2017, 11:44 PM   #1466
///Mongo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Coupe

Special Club rarely disappoints
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 12:15 AM   #1467
GP0256
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 MINI GP

I am officially a Whistle Pig Whiskey snob, lol! So smooth
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 10:32 AM   #1468
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There is oxidation and sunlight damage, occasionally corks go bad. Once opened they do deteriorate some, especially if they sit long term at low volume. For the really rare stuff I don't drink often I use the argon gas spray they sell for wine (puts a heavier than air layer of inert gas atop the liquid). Vacuum sealers are discouraged b/c they can really alter the evaporation and taste over time (they are for keeping wine a few days not long term).

For unopened storage, the recc is cool temps and that you keep the corks damp. I tip the cases on edge 45degrees to wet them every 6 months (don't store on their sides like wine). You get a tiny bit of evap around the cork anyway, but only noticeable on s/t decades old. Main thing is don't sit clear bottles up in direct sun, avoid high heat.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 11:44 AM   #1469
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Quote:
There is oxidation and sunlight damage, occasionally corks go bad. Once opened they do deteriorate some, especially if they sit long term at low volume. For the really rare stuff I don't drink often I use the argon gas spray they sell for wine (puts a heavier than air layer of inert gas atop the liquid). Vacuum sealers are discouraged b/c they can really alter the evaporation and taste over time (they are for keeping wine a few days not long term).

For unopened storage, the recc is cool temps and that you keep the corks damp. I tip the cases on edge 45degrees to wet them every 6 months (don't store on their sides like wine). You get a tiny bit of evap around the cork anyway, but only noticeable on s/t decades old. Main thing is don't sit clear bottles up in direct sun, avoid high heat.
Interesting and good to know. I bought a bottle of Macallan 12 scotch 2 years ago for Christmas guests and no one touched it so it remains unopened. It's out of sunlight and house is air conditioned so it should be good. Never acquired a taste for it myself but maybe time to try again...
      08-19-2017, 04:07 PM   #1470
Terry989
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X1 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
- - - I'm an Islay fan (told its an acquired taste) and would recc adding Ardbeg (Corryveckan is my fav), Laphroaig (cask-strength 10yo, or quarter cask), and Bruichladdich (lots of variety, I like the heavily peated ones but they have un-peated). And Aberlour A'Bunadh, but that has gotten crazy expensive (I buy scotch like you guys get cigars, so I have a couple cases at old prices). These are all in heavy rotation at my place. .
Like you, I'm real Islay fan, but drink many others depending on the mood I'm in or the time of day. Since Ardbeg is one of my favorites, I dug around the cellar this morning to see what I had.

Looks like some good drinking ahead! Left to right:
  • Corryvreckan
  • 1990 Airigh Nam Beist
  • A very rare 1978 bottling
  • My old friend - Uigeadail
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
ShopVac4051.00
Maynard3833.00
      08-20-2017, 08:04 AM   #1471
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry989 View Post
Like you, I'm real Islay fan, but drink many others depending on the mood I'm in or the time of day. Since Ardbeg is one of my favorites, I dug around the cellar this morning to see what I had.

• Corryvreckan
  • 1990 Airigh Nam Beist
Only been a scotch drinker for about 9-10 months now...coming off my vodka and rum train.

Not sure if I'm ready for a heavy peated just yet...finding most of my stash if from the highlands.

What would a good intermediate be to try?
      08-20-2017, 11:03 AM   #1472
Terry989
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X1 xDrive M Sport

To get started with lightly peated Scotch, try some of these:
  • Highland Park 15 or 18 Year Old
  • Bowmore 18 Year Old
  • Caol Ila
  • Oban 14 or 18 Year Old
  • Springbank 15 Year Old (I love this one!)

Another of my favorite regions is Speyside with distilleries such as these:
  • Almost anything from Mortlach
  • Aberlour (Especially A'bunadh or the 18 Year Old)
  • Craigellachie
  • Longmorn

Last edited by Terry989; 08-20-2017 at 04:35 PM..
Appreciate 2
Maynard3833.00
ShopVac4051.00
      08-20-2017, 11:18 AM   #1473
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I think Oban or Lagavulin would be good to try, Caol Ila is also a bit less peaty, IIRC; if you can find the Oban Little Bay it is one of my new finds. Lagavulin 16 is one of the top tiers in e/b book, but their new 8yo is also very nice.

I tend to prefer anything 'non-chill filtered' when possible (or they will warn that it will cloud with ice - same thing). The chill filtering takes out some proteins that add flavor. And adding a dash of water is also crucial (usually just a few cc's), and something it took getting used to; most other spirits I prefer straight, even Bourbon seems to just wash out. With Scotch the water does something to activate flavors, so to me much improved - you can actually see it if you hold it up to the light.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 11:22 AM   #1474
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry989 View Post

• Corryvreckan
  • 1990 Airigh Nam Beist
Very nice indeed. The two in the middle I have not yet tried, especially envious of the '78. I think Ardbeg changed s/t slightly within the past decade, but not sure if it is just my palate changing - that would be a nice comparo.
Appreciate 0