New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

09-24-2017, 09:50 AM   #1
Philly_sweden
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 2017

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [9.50]
2017 BMW M2   [7.83]
DCT Modes? M/S?

Hi.

I have hopefully bought a Z4 35is today, wee
Coming from 2 Z4 M Coupés I thought it would be fun to try something new.

But hey, the DCT is confusing...or not?

D = Drive, that I understand
But what are the differences between M/S? Are both manual? I drove it today but can't remember how the gearbox worked because I had thousand other things to think about

Thanks!

/Filip
      09-25-2017, 10:03 AM   #2
bobmos
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i, 2015 Z4 35i

M/S are both activated by tossing the lever to the left. S mode changes shift points for the gears in "automatic" mode. M is when you start shifting for yourself with either the levers or the paddles. In M you can shift when you like up to redline. It changes for you at redline, or when you come to a stop.

Congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #3
Philly_sweden
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [9.50]
2017 BMW M2   [7.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmos View Post
M/S are both activated by tossing the lever to the left. S mode changes shift points for the gears in "automatic" mode. M is when you start shifting for yourself with either the levers or the paddles. In M you can shift when you like up to redline. It changes for you at redline, or when you come to a stop.

Congratulations!
Thank you Bobmos for the info, now I know.

Hopefully it will be mine soon
      09-25-2017, 04:45 PM   #4
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Congrats, tentatively Would love to hear your driving impressions/comparisons later on, since you came from that sweet Z4M coupe ride.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 12:31 PM   #5
impulsE89
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2Porsches2Alfas2Bmw2Corvettes

DCT details

Great reply from Bobmos!
I would just add that moving the shifter to the left puts you in total control so don't think it is going to shift up for you. If you ever need to shift but the wheel paddles are difficult to catch while steering as in very tight turns, remember a quick pull or push on the shifter might be easier. (holding it left)
And BTW I have heard that it is the same 7 speed DCT found in the Ferrari 430 and 458.
After spending half my life heel and toe, double clutching various worn out transmission synchros I have become lazy and usually leave it to the quicker and smarter DCT in D, especially in traffic.
Some other notes: The Sport and sport + buttons also hold the transmission in lower gears in D. Normal tries for economy. Sport + will shift more firmly if you want a to hear a tire chirp.
Wish you the best with the E89
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 01:34 PM   #6
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulsE89 View Post
Great reply from Bobmos!
I would just add that moving the shifter to the left puts you in total control so don't think it is going to shift up for you. If you ever need to shift but the wheel paddles are difficult to catch while steering as in very tight turns, remember a quick pull or push on the shifter might be easier. (holding it left)
And BTW I have heard that it is the same 7 speed DCT found in the Ferrari 430 and 458.
After spending half my life heel and toe, double clutching various worn out transmission synchros I have become lazy and usually leave it to the quicker and smarter DCT in D, especially in traffic.
Some other notes: The Sport and sport + buttons also hold the transmission in lower gears in D. Normal tries for economy. Sport + will shift more firmly if you want a to hear a tire chirp.
Wish you the best with the E89
That's incorrect, one is never in full control w/ this DCT. In *S* mode, it will shift automatically. Even in *M* mode, it will automatically downshift if you slow down enough.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 04:56 PM   #7
impulsE89
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2Porsches2Alfas2Bmw2Corvettes

Not incorrect

Of course it shifts down to neutral or first gear when you stop or go too slow. When would you want to purposely stall the car? There is no clutch pedal. By the same token it probably upshifts at red line or has a rev limiter or both.. You do have full control plus it is fool proof. It also will not let you shift to a gear that will cause over revving in that gear. Bad things can happen very quickly otherwise, when all it takes is an inadvertant touch of a paddle or button.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 12:08 AM   #8
Philly_sweden
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [9.50]
2017 BMW M2   [7.83]
Another question:

When you go to S-Mode and click a paddle or the shifter is goes to Manual mode right?
Can you go back to S-mode from M-mode or do you first have to go to D then S?
      09-27-2017, 02:55 AM   #9
distinctperson
Human
Rep
Drives: 2014 E89 35is

You can use the paddle shifters either D or S-mode. The only difference being while in D mode, after shifting manually, the transmission will slip back into auto mode after a few seconds, while in S-mode, you maintain control until you nudge the shifter back into D. So, in other words, if you just need to accelerate a little bit to get pass a car or merge, you can quickly downshift with the paddles while in D mode, and the transmission will revert back to D mode after a few seconds.

To get back into S-mode from M-mode, you have to go to D first, then nudge the shifter into S. No other way around it.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 03:09 AM   #10
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by impulsE89 View Post
Of course it shifts down to neutral or first gear when you stop or go too slow. When would you want to purposely stall the car? There is no clutch pedal. By the same token it probably upshifts at red line or has a rev limiter or both.. You do have full control plus it is fool proof. It also will not let you shift to a gear that will cause over revving in that gear. Bad things can happen very quickly otherwise, when all it takes is an inadvertant touch of a paddle or button.
What are you talking about? You said that you have total control w/ DCT and I'm saying it's wrong: i.e. it shifts for you AUTOMATICALLY in certain situations, despite what you said shifting the lever to the left. Also, when the car slows down to a stop it doesn't go into N, it goes to 1st.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 03:12 AM   #11
Philly_sweden
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [9.50]
2017 BMW M2   [7.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by distinctperson View Post
You can use the paddle shifters either D or S-mode. The only difference being while in D mode, after shifting manually, the transmission will slip back into auto mode after a few seconds, while in S-mode, you maintain control until you nudge the shifter back into D. So, in other words, if you just need to accelerate a little bit to get pass a car or merge, you can quickly downshift with the paddles while in D mode, and the transmission will revert back to D mode after a few seconds.

To get back into S-mode from M-mode, you have to go to D first, then nudge the shifter into S. No other way around it.
Thank you so much. Great help
      09-27-2017, 02:30 PM   #12
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
What are you talking about? You said that you have total control w/ DCT and I'm saying it's wrong: i.e. it shifts for you AUTOMATICALLY in certain situations, despite what you said shifting the lever to the left. Also, when the car slows down to a stop it doesn't go into N, it goes to 1st.
That is a bit trivial of a difference. Shifts at redline and moves to first when I stop? Seems like a good idea and gets in the way of nothing.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 03:35 PM   #13
bobmos
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i, 2015 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_sweden View Post
Another question:

When you go to S-Mode and click a paddle or the shifter is goes to Manual mode right?
Can you go back to S-mode from M-mode or do you first have to go to D then S?
Flick the shifter to the right and then quickly back to the left to exit M and go back to S.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 04:00 PM   #14
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
That is a bit trivial of a difference. Shifts at redline and moves to first when I stop? Seems like a good idea and gets in the way of nothing.
Not trivial at all esp since the events happen often. I don't want OP to get confused because as much as I'm a DCT proponent, we don't have total control by flicking the lever to the left, doesn't matter in S or M mode. The computer overrides in certain conditions. It could've been programmed to exactly mimmick the MT but this DCT does not.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 04:38 PM   #15
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Not trivial at all esp since the events happen often. I don't want OP to get confused because as much as I'm a DCT proponent, we don't have total control by flicking the lever to the left, doesn't matter in S or M mode. The computer overrides in certain conditions. It could've been programmed to exactly mimmick the MT but this DCT does not.
Fair enough. But those certain conditions are at redline and when stopped.

Manual cars - how many people money shift and destroy something? The DCT programming won't allow us to destroy anything and who wants to drive past redline on purpose? Not a manual feature I want

I know you are just being clear that there is still computer stuff going on unlike a true manual, but these things don't get in the way of anything important.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 04:53 PM   #16
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
Fair enough. But those certain conditions are at redline and when stopped.

Manual cars - how many people money shift and destroy something? The DCT programming won't allow us to destroy anything and who wants to drive past redline on purpose? Not a manual feature I want

I know you are just being clear that there is still computer stuff going on unlike a true manual, but these things don't get in the way of anything important.
It sometimes does change on its own, not when just stopped but when slowing down, that's why it's confusing sometimes because you're not sure what gear you're in because it suddenly changes on you.

Yes, ofc DCT is great because it avoids blowing the engine but I'm just pointing out that there's no total control, that's all.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2017, 12:00 AM   #17
Philly_sweden
Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
  [10.00]
  [9.50]
2017 BMW M2   [7.83]
Thank you so much for the help!