New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
alexus
boomshakalaka
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive MSport (F30)

Garage List
mod for z4(89)30i?

What is least expensive performance mod that gives you the most for my 2010 z4 (e89) sDrive 30i?

Last edited by alexus; 05-16-2012 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
ChuckB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 2.0i

What is your definition of "Performance"? The tuners in Germany have been able to eak another 20+ HP out of the N52, but no long term usage/reliability reports, so I gave up on that route and focused on improving the handling. I figured if I can't improve the acceleration, then I can at least keep my hard earned speed a bit longer, so far it's working without sacrificing all the normal road comfort.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 04:28 AM   #3
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

http://burgertuning.com/BMS_Power_Box.html

• Up to 10+ More Horsepower & 10+ More lb-ft Torque
• Throttle Re-mapping for Better Response / Reaction
• Removes "dead area" delay in gas pedal
• 7 Different Maps / Settings
• Can be turned on and off from inside the car
• Gives even more Power with intake/exhaust or other mods
• Plug & Play, No cutting or splicing
• Made in U.S.A.
      05-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
ChuckB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

These folks, in Germany, have been able to get 281HP out of the 30i. I have only seen one installation, with 25,000km on it and so far no issues, but they don't have a bad rep over here. Not sure if they offer reprogramming or an external "tune box".

http://www.chip4power.de/de/fahrzeugauswahl/PKW/BMW/Z4-Serie-E89/Z4-sDrive-30i-258PS/
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
alexus
boomshakalaka
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckB View Post
What is your definition of "Performance"? The tuners in Germany have been able to eak another 20+ HP out of the N52, but no long term usage/reliability reports, so I gave up on that route and focused on improving the handling. I figured if I can't improve the acceleration, then I can at least keep my hard earned speed a bit longer, so far it's working without sacrificing all the normal road comfort.
I guess I'm just looking for pretty much anything (nothing crazy), requirements are: easy to install/remove, reliable (won't screw anything over) and inexpensive...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
alexus
boomshakalaka
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by z4z4z4 View Post
http://burgertuning.com/BMS_Power_Box.html

• Up to 10+ More Horsepower & 10+ More lb-ft Torque
• Throttle Re-mapping for Better Response / Reaction
• Removes "dead area" delay in gas pedal
• 7 Different Maps / Settings
• Can be turned on and off from inside the car
• Gives even more Power with intake/exhaust or other mods
• Plug & Play, No cutting or splicing
• Made in U.S.A.
this is something to consider but I want to have few options and read some reviews of people who already installed it...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #7
alexus
boomshakalaka
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
These folks, in Germany, have been able to get 281HP out of the 30i. I have only seen one installation, with 25,000km on it and so far no issues, but they don't have a bad rep over here. Not sure if they offer reprogramming or an external "tune box".

http://www.chip4power.de/de/fahrzeug...ive-30i-258PS/
they dont even have prices, they want to fill out a form to get it...
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
ChuckB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Price for the 30i was Euro 399.00 last time I checked
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
ChuckB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

New update to an old thread....

Just got my 30i back from a week being tuned at Schmickler Performance (http://www.schmickler-performance.de) run by some friends from the Ring. Marcus does not do "out-of-the-box" tuning, each setup requires 2 full days of dyno time. Suffice it to say that BMW has done a pretty good job of tuning the Z4's N52 (even given the compromised intake manifold to fit under the hood), Marcus was able to pull an additional 17 HP out of the motor as well as and additional 13.5 lbs/ft. Not big numbers, but the gain is consistent from 2,000 up to the new 7,100 redline and can be felt. What is amazing is that with the new tune, the motor has gotten unbelievably smooth (better than a sewing machine), revs much much quicker and even more impressive is the mileage gain:

Hockenheim to Ahrweiler @ 85 MPH for 100 miles and a 40 mile stretch @ 140MPH yielded 25 MPG.
The return trip back the same way, similar traffic and weather, after tuning yielded 33 MPG for the 85 MPH section, dropping to 28 MPG for the 140 MPH section, briefly hit its new top end of 162 MPH (per my supplemental TomTom nav unit (with speed cameras)).

So bottom line is that there are no big numbers to be pulled from a non-turbo gas engine in this car, but there is still room for some gains in performance and substantial gains in mileage to be had. All this coupled with the new H&R sway bars, and Marcus' tune on the suspension has improved every aspect of the car, and even reduced the understeer and rear end behavior of rough surfaces to a level way passed "acceptable".

NOTE - these speeds were legal where I hit them.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 02:29 AM   #10
DarylKZ4-30
DarylKZ4-30i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BWM Z4 3.0i

Garage List
I have been trying to identify Horsepower performance kits for my 2009 Z4 sDrive3.0i, but also wondering if items like the GForce Performance kit really achieves what it advertises - 60hp, 3-7mpg and 30ft-lbs torque increases ....? Does anyone have any experience with these types of kits, whats the best and any effects on warranty ...? --- Daryl
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:

Just got my 30i back from a week being tuned at Schmickler Performance (http://www.schmickler-performance.de) run by some friends from the Ring. Marcus does not do "out-of-the-box" tuning, each setup requires 2 full days of dyno time. Suffice it to say that BMW has done a pretty good job of tuning the Z4's N52 (even given the compromised intake manifold to fit under the hood), Marcus was able to pull an additional 17 HP out of the motor as well as and additional 13.5 lbs/ft. Not big numbers, but the gain is consistent from 2,000 up to the new 7,100 redline and can be felt. What is amazing is that with the new tune, the motor has gotten unbelievably smooth (better than a sewing machine), revs much much quicker and even more impressive is the mileage gain:

Hockenheim to Ahrweiler @ 85 MPH for 100 miles and a 40 mile stretch @ 140MPH yielded 25 MPG.
The return trip back the same way, similar traffic and weather, after tuning yielded 33 MPG for the 85 MPH section, dropping to 28 MPG for the 140 MPH section, briefly hit its new top end of 162 MPH (per my supplemental TomTom nav unit (with speed cameras)).

So bottom line is that there are no big numbers to be pulled from a non-turbo gas engine in this car, but there is still room for some gains in performance and substantial gains in mileage to be had. All this coupled with the new H&R sway bars, and Marcus' tune on the suspension has improved every aspect of the car, and even reduced the understeer and rear end behavior of rough surfaces to a level way passed "acceptable".

So you gained 17hp with the n52 that has the DISA manifold?
Can you tell me why you said the intake manifold is compromised?

Do you think this company is able to do any tune remotely? via a tune loading box or anything like that.

Also why did you chose Schmickler over chip4power.de
is it due to this discussion:
http://www.zroadster.com/forum/index...ebnisse.86655/

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #12
andrey_gta
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylKZ4-30 View Post
I have been trying to identify Horsepower performance kits for my 2009 Z4 sDrive3.0i, but also wondering if items like the GForce Performance kit really achieves what it advertises - 60hp, 3-7mpg and 30ft-lbs torque increases ....? Does anyone have any experience with these types of kits, whats the best and any effects on warranty ...? --- Daryl
nope this is all hot air
for a safe bet look into the AA tune, OE, Eurocharged. Others include BMS, Evolve, racing dynamics(RDsport in USA)

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #13
ChuckB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey_gta
Quote:

So you gained 17hp with the n52 that has the DISA manifold?
Can you tell me why you said the intake manifold is compromised?

Do you think this company is able to do any tune remotely? via a tune loading box or anything like that.

Also why did you chose Schmickler over chip4power.de
is it due to this discussion:
http://www.zroadster.com/forum/index...ebnisse.86655/
Sorry for the late reply (blame work), went with Schmickler for several reasons, had a bunch of conversations with Deiter Weidenbruch, who runs Z4's in the VLN series at the Ring, and Marcus (Schmickler), has been running 330i's also in the VLN Series for a while, he is able to get some decent power increases out of the engine without violating the BMW safety triggers or the German BMW warranty, in addition his fine tuning of the suspension borders on legendary, and has added (verified by my wife) 20 kph to my Autobahn cloverleaf speeds. The last vote for him to do the work came from Sabine. I would also add that his tuning is not overwritten by the BMW software updates (just got the 2012 software update from BMW last week). Coming up on 4 weeks since the work, and still very happy with all the changes making a beautiful car just that much more easy and fun to drive.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #14
ChuckB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Spaced 1 of your questions. I mentioned the intake manifold being "compromised" as it is of a slightly different design than the same motor in 330i, in order to keep from having a bulge in the hood, so it has less of a straight shot into the head port. I will ask Marcus about "remote" tuning when I am back up at the Ring next week.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 06:51 PM   #15
RedRabbit
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive 30i

Has anyone looked into supersprint's header for the 30i (or 23i), I don't have to worry about emissions here so cat delete is no problem?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #16
RedRabbit
Enlisted Member
Rep

decided to pull the trigger on the ss headers and cat delete, hopefully will have it put together later today
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 04:20 PM   #17
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

@chuckb, can you share more about your non engine choices? (suspension, tires, brakes?)

interesting info, thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #18
RedRabbit
Enlisted Member
Rep

Finally finished my supersprint header/midpipe cat delete install. Now producing no CEL after a few days of trying to figure out the original O2 sensor configuration. If anyone does this, make sure to mark during removal whether it is bank 1 or 2 and upstream or downstream otherwise it will shoot off with CEL after CEL for multiple cylinder misfires. She now sounds great feeding into the Remus mufflers and pulls harder with a nice burble when letting off the throttle.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 02:05 AM   #19
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRabbit View Post
Finally finished my supersprint header/midpipe cat delete install. Now producing no CEL after a few days of trying to figure out the original O2 sensor configuration. If anyone does this, make sure to mark during removal whether it is bank 1 or 2 and upstream or downstream otherwise it will shoot off with CEL after CEL for multiple cylinder misfires. She now sounds great feeding into the Remus mufflers and pulls harder with a nice burble when letting off the throttle.
CONGRATS !!!

Have you remapped the ecu already?

Any video you could share?
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #20
ChuckB
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
@chuckb, can you share more about your non engine choices? (suspension, tires, brakes?)

interesting info, thanks for sharing.
Was off line for a bit, but I went with the H&R springs and Sway Bars on the Active suspension, nice improvement, but a bit stiffer. On the advice of the folks who tuned my Z4, added 5mm front and 10mm rear spacers, this resulted in a major improvement in handling and a noticeably smoother ride. I have the 313 wheels and there was a bit of interference with the plastic wheel well liner, but was able to trim a bit off, and heat the outside edge to clear everything [took less than an hour]. The car drifts perfectly flat, and is very controllable at the limits of my Pirelli P Zero's. the front brakes were replaced with a set of E9x performance brakes [which BMW certified for the German T.U.V.], but left the rears alone. No big gain in braking, but a huge reduction in brake fade under sustained use [sustained use is 4 laps of the Ring at a very respectable pace].

I know a lot of folks don't care for spacers, but the bit of extra length to the wheel center line works very well to reduce shock travel and improve the ride and control. And yes, I was very surprise at the improvement and we are talking very small values here
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #21
Innovative AutoConcepts
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 E89 Alpine White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRabbit View Post
Very nice, do you have a sound clip? Interested in hearing. =]
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #22
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Was off line for a bit, but I went with the H&R springs and Sway Bars on the Active suspension, nice improvement, but a bit stiffer. On the advice of the folks who tuned my Z4, added 5mm front and 10mm rear spacers, this resulted in a major improvement in handling and a noticeably smoother ride. I have the 313 wheels and there was a bit of interference with the plastic wheel well liner, but was able to trim a bit off, and heat the outside edge to clear everything [took less than an hour]. The car drifts perfectly flat, and is very controllable at the limits of my Pirelli P Zero's. the front brakes were replaced with a set of E9x performance brakes [which BMW certified for the German T.U.V.], but left the rears alone. No big gain in braking, but a huge reduction in brake fade under sustained use [sustained use is 4 laps of the Ring at a very respectable pace].

I know a lot of folks don't care for spacers, but the bit of extra length to the wheel center line works very well to reduce shock travel and improve the ride and control. And yes, I was very surprise at the improvement and we are talking very small values here
That's very interesting, thanks! I would never have thought about spacers. Seems like the use might be dependent on the offset of the wheels used (i.e. different offset = no need ?)
Appreciate 0