New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #89
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
Thanks for the clarification Dr - interesting to note the top end power seems to be maintained on the 1M rather than dropping off sharply on the 35is. Could be a freer-flowing exhaust/mapping and/or the benefit of the 98 octane?
Hard to say Alex.
Our thoughts on the day were focussed on the fuel and the impact of an electronic gearbox. I had wanted to go there with a full tank of 98 but I had been on a plane for 6 weeks and I still had the 6 week old 95 RON in the tank and no time to burn it off.

The operator of the Dyno had a lot of trouble with both the cars using a DCT (135i and my Z) in getting a smooth run. (We did about 12 cars that day through the local chapter of the 1Addicts forum)
He kept geting a kick down at about 4000 rpm, so he was playing with the throttle.
We asked him to put it in sports+ and shift to Manual changes, but we dont know if he did or not as he was a bit precious about being an expert.
As it is, I still dont know if he ever engaged the overboost button on either car (1M or Z4)

As it was, both DCT cars came out with ABS code errors, mine took half an hour and numberous attempts through the OBD to clear them from the system.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 09:45 AM   #90
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35iDriver View Post
Do you bitch and bad mouht about other people's cars on THEIR car forum often?
Do you generally do it just on the forum's or do you bad mouth people's car's with your opinions straight to their face too?

lol, where do you live? I will ring your bell and say that to your face though i was talking about 35is not 35i which you sir have. I say my opinion with no fear, whether others like it or not.

You don't like it? No problem at all, we can discuss it.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #91
35iDriver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
lol, where do you live? I will ring your bell and say that to your face though i was talking about 35is not 35i which you sir have. I say my opinion with no fear, whether others like it or not.

You don't like it? No problem at all, we can discuss it.
I though you might be enough of an A$$h%%& to say it to someone's face, so thanks for confirming.

However, since your threat is still only via the Internet, it is still possible that when push actually came to shove, and you were actually in front of someone, you'd run like a coward.

So, which is it, coward or A$$h$%e?

Last edited by 35iDriver; 04-13-2012 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #92
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
I though you might be enough of an A$$h%%& to say it to someone's face, so thanks for confirming.

However, since your threat is still only via the Internet, it is still possible that when push actually came to shove, and you were actually in front of someone, you'd run like a coward.

So, which is it, coward or A$$h$%e?
It really depends on the someone we are talking about. I'm sort of a big person with some Taekwondo skills, however it doesn't mean i won't rely on my mind to figure out if it's a be-a-coward situation or not.

But really what's the point here? Aren't you man enough to stand by your statements? The supposed-to-be-very-sporty Z4, aka 35is has the worst driving feeling in that segment. I will say that because it's true, and if someone gets upset because of it, well it's their problem not mine.
I'll gladly carry Asshole nickname if that's what i get by saying the truth which you don't like.

The 35is is a great looking car, i would get one if i wanted a two door mild sporty roadster, but it doesn't change the fact that it's too soft.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #93
Z4Andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive 35iS

Re:

Quote:
I'm sort of a big person with some Taekwondo skills,
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #94
Wraith.
Captain
Rep
Drives: ED '11 Z4 35is

Quote:
It really depends on the someone we are talking about. I'm sort of a big person with some Taekwondo skills, however it doesn't mean i won't rely on my mind to figure out if it's a be-a-coward situation or not.

But really what's the point here? Aren't you man enough to stand by your statements? The supposed-to-be-very-sporty Z4, aka 35is has the worst driving feeling in that segment. I will say that because it's true, and if someone gets upset because of it, well it's their problem not mine.
I'll gladly carry Asshole nickname if that's what i get by saying the truth which you don't like.

The 35is is a great looking car, i would get one if i wanted a two door mild sporty roadster, but it doesn't change the fact that it's too soft.
No need to get your "Internet Puff On", though I do wonder how you come by such amazing insight as to how our cars feel? What is apparent is that you seem to take some sort of satisfaction in logging onto a Z4 forum and spewing bovine excrement about the car, then proceed to acting the wounded innocent when someone takes offense. Without some sort of explanation of long-term, real world experience with said car it just makes you look any number of countless trolls we've seen before.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #95
Z4Andy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive 35iS

Re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
Amen.

Add to that they cost $600K here, pushing them that much closer to being unreachable...

I was meant to be off to Modena this week on a factory tour but had to put it on hold.

Seriously tempted though. The 458 is just so right. As soon as I seen it I thought "Man if they make a Spyder i'm in" and they did

But I might just go for a fully loaded F-Type instead if it's any good. The new Jag will be worth a close look with a lot of spare change compared to the Fezza.

Failing that the Z4 will stay with me. It's great
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #96
35iDriver
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

Wow!!!, just got back from a spirited ride in my sports car. My opinion and sorry, but the only one that matters to me.

Not upset at WHAT you said, because I know it is just your opinion. The more you talk the more I actually think you are FOS.

I was simply calling you out and in so many words, pointing out the ignorance you displayed by dissing people's cars in front of them. It is your ignorance that irritates me, sorry.

So, I'm going with "ignorant a$$hole". Final answer. That seems to fit you just right.

I'd normally tell you to go to hell at this point (in person or online, take your pick) but it seems you are already there.

Last edited by 35iDriver; 04-13-2012 at 06:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #97
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
Quote:
Wow!!!, just got back from a spirited ride in my sports car. My opinion and sorry, but the only one that matters to me.

Not upset at WHAT you said, because I know it is just your opinion. The more you talk the more I actually think you are FOS.

I was simply calling you out and in so many words, pointing out the ignorance you displayed by dissing people's cars in front of them. It is your ignorance that irritates me, sorry.

So, I'm going with "ignorant a$$hole". Final answer. That seems to fit you just right.

I'd normally tell you to go to hell at this point (in person or online, take your pick) but it seems you are already there.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #98
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4Andy View Post
I was meant to be off to Modena this week on a factory tour but had to put it on hold.

Seriously tempted though. The 458 is just so right. As soon as I seen it I thought "Man if they make a Spyder i'm in" and they did

But I might just go for a fully loaded F-Type instead if it's any good. The new Jag will be worth a close look with a lot of spare change compared to the Fezza.

Failing that the Z4 will stay with me. It's great
Great minds.... great minds....

Not keen on the F Type convertible though as it is a soft top, and rumoured to be coming out before the Coupe.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #99
Booster
Pave The Rainforest
Rep
Drives: Wagon

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm sort of a big person with some Taekwondo skills.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #100
dbronnik
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 E88

Garage List
Sorry to necro but although I think Soorena's posts are pretty laughable, he does have a point..

I was very interested in buying an e89 in the future but after test driving one with m sport package up a windy hill, even at a fairly slow pace I think it might have had too much body roll for me. Even my e46 with stock sports suspension felt more flat through the same turns. I'm thinking the issue might be resolved with some KW V3's and a swaybar..

Has anyone else had the same impression (soft suspension) who has since installed KW V3's? And did it solve the problem??
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #101
Drew@Sonic MS
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

It definitely made a huge improvement but I still feel more roll than I would like. Some pretty big modifications will probably have to be done to get it to corner flat given that we do drive a convertible. A roll cage would be really nice to have...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #102
jc-e89
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW e89 z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prikaz View Post
Sorry to necro but although I think Soorena's posts are pretty laughable, he does have a point..

I was very interested in buying an e89 in the future but after test driving one with m sport package up a windy hill, even at a fairly slow pace I think it might have had too much body roll for me. Even my e46 with stock sports suspension felt more flat through the same turns. I'm thinking the issue might be resolved with some KW V3's and a swaybar..

Has anyone else had the same impression (soft suspension) who has since installed KW V3's? And did it solve the problem??
the KW V3's do make a huge difference in terms of handling. I feel this is how the car should drive out of the factory. Before the upgrade, the z4 feels very sluggish and overridden with understeer. Especially noticeable is the unresponsive turn-in when cornering.

the V3's are highly adjustable; ride height, rebound & stiffness. So I've been playing around with the settings a bit recently.

But my conclusion is that as a 'GT' car, it is disappointing... If you drove an X5M you will be impressed at how a large beast like that could be heaps more nimble and highly responsive than the low, 2 seater that is the e-89. So the technology is there...

Therefore, I would welcome any type of 'M' suspension/LSD, etc upgrades to the car. I think it would make the already 'fairly awesome' car 'sensational', and somewhat closer to the 1M/M3 performance range.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 07:32 PM   #103
javol
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT

I had missed this " thread"... Uffff! Be calm buddies .

My 2 cents: the Z4 E89 is not a sport car. I come from a Cayman S PDK and an M3 E92 DKG. My 35i (with adaptive suspension) feels and is heavy, the handling is far from the best in class (boxster) as well as the steering response and brakes resistance.
At the track i switch to the 18" oem wheels with Pilot PS2, leaving at home the heavy Vossen CV3 20" showed in my signature.
Even with its stock wheels and very good tires, the zed is relatively slow trough the corners and essentially difficult to understand, suffering a strange and unexpected understeer probably related to the low rigidity of its chassis and its soft set up. BUT....
All these issues are really important in the daily (even if spirited) driving? Not soooooo much... For me.
The typical customer of the Zed will love its unique look, the fantastic torque of easily tunable turbo engines, the very low drive position and all the joys of the most stunning roadster in its class...
2012 Z4 35i DCT Black/Beige - 20" Vossen CV3, PB-Brake BBK, ///M Front Bumper, ///M Steering Wheel, Led Angel Eyes, Black Grille, Short Antenna - Tuning: JB4 Map 2, Custom Made 3" DPs & MPs, BMS Dual Intake - Desire list: 3D Design Front Lip, Meth Kit, FMIC.

Last edited by javol; 08-22-2012 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #104
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

We just like the straight aways. Let the mini cooper drivers have the flat handling.

Last edited by z4z4z4; 02-04-2015 at 01:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 02:51 AM   #105
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by javol View Post
I had missed this " thread"... Uffff! Be calm buddies .

My 2 cents: the Z4 E89 is not a sport car. I come from a Cayman S PDK and an M3 E92 DKG. My 35i, with adaptive suspension, is heavy, the handling is far from the best in class (boxster) as well as the steering response and brakes resistance.
At the track i switch to the 18" oem wheels with Pilot PS2, leaving at home the heavy Vossen CV3 20" showed in my signature.
Even with its stock wheels and very good tires, the zed is relatively slow in and out of the corners and essentially difficult to drive, suffering a strange and unexpected understeer probably related to the low rigidity of its chassis and its soft set up. BUT....
All these issues are really important in the daily (even if spirited) driving? Not soooooo much... For me.
The typical customer of the Zed will love its unique look, the fantastic torque of easily tunable turbo engines, the very low drive position and all the joys of the most stunning roadster in its class...
Exactly - who really cares about cornering speed? And is a Z4 really that much slower through corners than say a E93 M3 which is supposedly a "real" sports car?! I doubt it, and those track times I have seen confirm it.

What matters is going slow and sideways in my book. And for that reason I would prefer the 1M over the M3 and any mid- or rear-engined car. But then there is the problem with how it looks and doesnt let the roof come down.

The Z4 has the looks and the engine, its probably just missing that LSD...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 08:24 AM   #106
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

UPDATE: The Z4 M35i is now rumored to be debuting at the 2013 Detroit NAIAS in January, together with the Z4 LCI facelift refresh (recent spy photos).
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #107
BluuZ4AZ
Rep

Quote:
The supposed-to-be-very-sporty Z4, aka 35is has the worst driving feeling in that segment. I will say that because it's true, and if someone gets upset because of it, well it's their problem not mine.
No one is upset, it's just that your are innacurate: There are a a grand total of 3 cars in the "segment": Z4, Boxster and SLK. The Z4 sits in the middle of the two in terms of handling/sportiness.

Last edited by BluuZ4AZ; 08-24-2012 at 11:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #108
laz4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 Titanium Silver Z4 35i

[QUOTE=BluuZ4AZ]
Quote:
The supposed-to-be-very-sporty Z4, aka 35is has the worst driving feeling in that segment. I will say that because it's true, and if someone gets upset because of it, well it's their problem not mine.
Don't forget the TT... Which IMO sits below the z4 along with the slk.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #109
javol
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT

[QUOTE=laz4;12565021]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluuZ4AZ

Don't forget the TT... Which IMO sits below the z4 along with the slk.
The 370Z roadster is another one....
2012 Z4 35i DCT Black/Beige - 20" Vossen CV3, PB-Brake BBK, ///M Front Bumper, ///M Steering Wheel, Led Angel Eyes, Black Grille, Short Antenna - Tuning: JB4 Map 2, Custom Made 3" DPs & MPs, BMS Dual Intake - Desire list: 3D Design Front Lip, Meth Kit, FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #110
BluuZ4AZ
Rep

Yes, 5 cars in the segment.

I consider the 370Z Roadster to barely be in this segment. The other 4 are luxury brands (Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche) and the Nissan is not.
The 370Z Roadster pricing is well under the other 4 as well.
Appreciate 0