New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

11-04-2015, 01:49 PM   #1
thedarkknight
Rep
Drives:

My First Big Boy Purchase; NEED ADVICE

Hi all,

Long time lurker here and lover of all things Bimmer. I've been a reader of Bimmerpost since the launch of the E92, I've grown up in a family of BMWs, and I now hope to become more active in the community depending on my decision in the next couple of weeks.

To keep my question brief, I'm in the process of buying my first car out of school. I've been researching, deciding, and test driving vehicles since March and I had initially been enamored with buying "new." Based on my income and needs, I honed in on a 2015 GTI or the new four-door Mini Cooper S.

I loved the drive and feel of the GTI, but I felt it lacked any personality and felt like it would be a "me too" car. However, journalists herald it as the best all rounder and as a solid entry-point into the car enthusiast community.

The Mini Cooper S had more personality and "brand appeal" than the VW, but I felt it leaned too close to quirky for my comfort zone. It wasn't as "complete" as the GTI to me, but I was still extremely intrigued.

Long story short, I never pulled the trigger and have since been stuck with the old SUV I've had since high school.

Since the VW diesel-gate scandal, I decided to revisit the car-buying process and see if I could snag some solid deals on a 2016 GTI. I've seen one that I could drive out for about $25k.

However, as a to-be automotive enthusiast, I've recently considered going used and finding a killer deal on a Bimmer. Ideally, I'd like to find a solid E46 BMW M3, or a 2012 and above BMW 135, 135is, or a 335is.

To give you some additional color on who I am and what my needs are:
1) I'm 23 turning 24 in about a week.
2) I work and play in Austin, Texas.
3) I'd like a car that people might smile at or acknowledge on the road.
4) Would like to keep price around $30k MAX.
5) The car will likely be given to my sister in about two years when she turns 18, or I may opt to sell the car (I may also move to a more urban city at that time.)

Based on the above detail, what advice do you guys have? Would love some insight directly from you car guys.

Cheers and thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 02:21 PM   #2
RJ_
Baby-faced Assassin
No_Country
Rep
Drives: when car isn't broke.

This isn't necessarily relevant, but if you're considering giving the car to your sister in a couple years, are you not paying for it yourself?

I say that because there really isn't any reason to take that depreciation hit on a new car right out of school, in my opinion. Starting out isn't easy, and if you find yourself in a situation with some disposable cash, you're in a great position to set yourself up a solid financial foundation, especially if you have student loans.

If that side of it is taken care of, then do whatever you want.

Car wise, I think the GTI falls into the same category of 'quirky', if image is a deciding factor for you. It probably is a great car to drive, but will likely only get the attention of other enthusiasts. End of the day it's still a hatchback.

On the topic of depreciation, these BMWs haven't exactly held their value well, so a couple year used one will you get you a lot of car for the money. It's hardly a contest.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 02:37 PM   #3
thedarkknight
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_419 View Post
This isn't necessarily relevant, but if you're considering giving the car to your sister in a couple years, are you not paying for it yourself?

On the topic of depreciation, these BMWs haven't exactly held their value well, so a couple year used one will you get you a lot of car for the money. It's hardly a contest.
All payments will be made by me, with my father POTENTIALLY contributing when if I decide to give to my sister.

I was on scholarship throughout school with very little loans. Loans are being managed just fine. I do have some allocation for a car at this point (been saving for a while), but the ultimate deciding factor is the overall value prop. I love cars. I love Bimmers. But I'm also realistic with things like depreciation, resale, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 02:39 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

2016 Toyaru FR-S, BR-Z
2016 Mini
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 02:57 PM   #5
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedarkknight
Hi all,

Long time lurker here and lover of all things Bimmer. I've been a reader of Bimmerpost since the launch of the E92, I've grown up in a family of BMWs, and I now hope to become more active in the community depending on my decision in the next couple of weeks.

To keep my question brief, I'm in the process of buying my first car out of school. I've been researching, deciding, and test driving vehicles since March and I had initially been enamored with buying "new." Based on my income and needs, I honed in on a 2015 GTI or the new four-door Mini Cooper S.

I loved the drive and feel of the GTI, but I felt it lacked any personality and felt like it would be a "me too" car. However, journalists herald it as the best all rounder and as a solid entry-point into the car enthusiast community.

The Mini Cooper S had more personality and "brand appeal" than the VW, but I felt it leaned too close to quirky for my comfort zone. It wasn't as "complete" as the GTI to me, but I was still extremely intrigued.

Long story short, I never pulled the trigger and have since been stuck with the old SUV I've had since high school.

Since the VW diesel-gate scandal, I decided to revisit the car-buying process and see if I could snag some solid deals on a 2016 GTI. I've seen one that I could drive out for about $25k.

However, as a to-be automotive enthusiast, I've recently considered going used and finding a killer deal on a Bimmer. Ideally, I'd like to find a solid E46 BMW M3, or a 2012 and above BMW 135, 135is, or a 335is.

To give you some additional color on who I am and what my needs are:
1) I'm 23 turning 24 in about a week.
2) I work and play in Austin, Texas.
3) I'd like a car that people might smile at or acknowledge on the road.
4) Would like to keep price around $30k MAX.
5) The car will likely be given to my sister in about two years when she turns 18, or I may opt to sell the car (I may also move to a more urban city at that time.)

Based on the above detail, what advice do you guys have? Would love some insight directly from you car guys.

Cheers and thanks for the help!
128i great car to start with and pass on
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #6
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Said it a million times, the GTI is the best all-arounder money can buy.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 03:29 PM   #7
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

I'd be cautious about the E46 and be VERY picky on who you buy it from. As a performance car and if anything like us over in the F8X forums, it will have been driven hard, most likely modded to some degree and will show it's age. You dont want to buy one of those from just any joe with a low price. I'd try to find one that is a single owner, older in age (50+), has full maintenance history, etc..

The 135 is a solid choice and I feel like if you throw some springs on it and maybe a tune, it'll zip around like the GTI and Mini...maybe even more fun to drive.

I come from the VW family, while not a GTI I agree the brand and cars lack personality (maybe not the CC). But like you said a new one can be held for dirt cheap since the scandal. So if you want a fun but lackluster car... the GTI is the way to go. VW's warranty is pretty good so you wont have any problems.

But also given your other stipulations that it may be a hand me down to sis... you need to take that into consideration. Especially if she's going to drive it for a long time. I commend you on that move.

Personally and especially if you're going to move into a more urban area, take that into account... will you be able to walk everywhere? How much will you drive your car?

Also, do you plan on paying cash for the car? If so, I think you're looking more into a fun project/beater car. Sooo being such, I recommend the 135. Slap some springs on it and a tune. Maybe a bigger turbo and some meth if you want to get crazy. Drive it for 2 years and dump it to one of us on the forum. It'll either be like driving a fast ass go cart or bat out of hell depending your setup. I'm getting the feeling like you want something FUN. So I recommend this.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2015, 03:34 PM   #8
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Miata or BRZ. Carrying friends around is overrated.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 04:12 PM   #9
oolas3
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Fiesta ST.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 04:26 PM   #10
pgviper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3m40

If you like the 135i, then go with a 135i. Great all round car like you are looking for that can be had for your price range.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 04:44 PM   #11
Chief Kronos
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Be patient and keep looking around for good deals on used F30 335i or M235i. Most people with leases are starting to trading them in for the F30 LCI and new B58 engine. So the market will soon if not alway has become saturated with used N55 engine F30s.
      11-04-2015, 05:35 PM   #12
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
135i or 135is for sure! IMO the best non-M modern BMWs around.

The F series non-M BMWs are very disappointing, IMO.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2015, 05:42 PM   #13
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Q). Have you talked to your insurance agent on the cost of insurance ? That might be the deal breaker here.

A new car is always nicer than an older car. Especially since you (probably) don't want to be shelling out cash for things breaking on an older car. I think that GTi deal for $25K is sounding very good to me. And I am a true BMW lover. Ask your insurance agent for a rate quote.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 05:49 PM   #14
M3Bimmer77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3 E90 Jet Black

Get 2013 -14 328i CPO
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 06:01 PM   #15
pooyab
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 2020 BMW M5C

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I think one of the 335i/135i cars or Golf R are good choice. If you can, maybe see about getting one of the Focus RS, if you want to push the budget a bit.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 07:05 PM   #16
Foggins
Restless
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2C

I vote for the GTI as well...hard to go wrong with such a great, fun, balanced car. Close second for me would be a WRX...I had one when I was your age and it was so much fun, and bullet proof.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 07:54 PM   #17
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

A great financial decision for someone starting out into the real world is to get a $30,000 loan on a car.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 08:08 PM   #18
rickc007
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

I'd stay as far away from a GTI as possible ...

The had a nice bump up in torque the last year, wonder how they got it ...
Not positive they didn't put any cheat code in the Gas one eithers ...
Now they've admitted to CO2 " producing significantly less CO2 during emissions certification testing than in real-world use"

I had purchased a 2014 TDI new, just under 2 years ago.
Besides the obvious, dealing with them was not stellar ...
I went to trade it in a GTI , Quality doesn't compare to a BMW

I opted for a 2013 BMW 135is (that's why I'm here now)
Unbelievabley better car than a GTI

Vote Used BMW all they , CPO have 100,000 warranty
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 09:20 PM   #19
BloomRunsDubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
I would get the E46 M3 out of the cars you listed. It will be more expensive to maintain but well worth it compared to a Mini or GTI

If it was me buying a car for 30k or less I would go for a used S5 or a SRT Charger or Challenger. Maybe golf R but I dont think those are under 30k yet

Not sure if those cars appealing to you but thats what I would get...and give your sister the old suv lol
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 09:38 PM   #20
HOGGLIFE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/CR 135

I have a really nice Fiesta ST with about 3k miles on the odo for sale at my dealership. Guy just traded it for an E60 M5. It is pretty fun to drive and would be great in Austin. I used to live there/went to UT. PM me if you're interested. I'm in Houston.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2015, 09:41 PM   #21
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I'd go with a nice 1963 Lincoln Continental custom conversion...

Gloss black with red pinstripes and an open cockpit.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2015, 09:58 PM   #22
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Buy used. Better bang for the buck. Get a 335is. Mini as far as I'm concerned has as much brand appeal as fiat. Not much. Gti is a great car but overpriced as most cars are new. Get a low mileage and more importantly well maintained used car and enjoy.

That said I'd go for a 3 over a 1 mainly for the size. If this is your sole vehicle a little larger gives you more flexibility. Carrying stuff, people, etc. Who cares about the emissions cheating. I'm glad they were and sad they were caught. I'm sure they all do but they were the unlucky ones caught.
Who cares about a soulless Toyota. They give up everything for reliability but they still have problems. Those are for housewives who are scared to Jumpstart a battery. Get something fun, but also economically practical. The BMW on your list seem the best. An IS is tough to beat, but a 335is is much cheaper and with a couple hundred bucks tune is faster. You can also remove the tune for your sis. And you'll save thousands for something else. I'd go with a 2007-2012 335I 2 or 4 door with under 50k miles and enjoy it for 3-5 yrs. Spend the money you saved half on mods you like, wheels, maybe some power, and the rest on other stuff you want or need to spend it on making your life easier. You'll have way more car than any of the others mentioned here, and money in your pocket.
Appreciate 0