New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #45
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex197444 View Post
does anyone knows if z4 2009 23i has pre installation of wires for the tweeters?

thanks!
Basic system is not pre-wired.

EdP
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #46
alex197444
Registered
Rep
Drives: z4

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEdP View Post
Basic system is not pre-wired.

EdP
Hi there,

I went today to a BMW representative.
They opened my door, and there is no wires for the tweeters because I have the professional radio with the basic sound.
So I cannot install tweeters- this is the official position of BMW.

BUT the guy who checked the pre-installation for the tweeters told me the speakers that are closer to the tweeters DO HAVE an output (a second entrance) that should lead to the tweeters - so in theory the tweeters can be connected to the audio system by the closer speaker. The problem is to know if I connect the tweeters to that second output of the speekers, will produce any effect, because there area good chances that entrance as nothing connected there (its just a useless entrance that only makes sense in the Hifi audio system).

Anyone can help on this? Will the tweeters work if I connect them to that second entrance?

thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2010, 10:54 PM   #47
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Hi there,

I went today to a BMW representative.
They opened my door, and there is no wires for the tweeters because I have the professional radio with the basic sound.
So I cannot install tweeters- this is the official position of BMW.

BUT the guy who checked the pre-installation for the tweeters told me the speakers that are closer to the tweeters DO HAVE an output (a second entrance) that should lead to the tweeters - so in theory the tweeters can be connected to the audio system by the closer speaker. The problem is to know if I connect the tweeters to that second output of the speekers, will produce any effect, because there area good chances that entrance as nothing connected there (its just a useless entrance that only makes sense in the Hifi audio system).

Anyone can help on this? Will the tweeters work if I connect them to that second entrance?

thanks!
You will reduce the front impedance/change the OEM capacitor -if present- response if you add another speaker in parallel to the mids/woofers already in parallel. Your OEM HU/iDrive is not designed to handle such configuration in the long term.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 02:00 AM   #48
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i (before: 23i)

@alex

I have added the tweeters of the top hifi to my basic hifi exactly the way you describe it - they include a prewired 6db filter (capacitor) to cut off the low frequencies and a plug that fits perfectly into the existing door speaker's receptacle. The filter will keep the impedance almost where it is without the tweeter - so I cannot believe that this configuration will do any harm to your radio.

The sound quality increase - even without additional amp - is remarkable .

If you need installing information: Look here (also included: Amp installation advice - thanks to EdP!)

BTW: Forget about upgrading tweeters to the rear speakers without an additional amp - you still won't hear anything .

Best regards

Mick
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 04:25 AM   #49
tiborakos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

Mick, i found your link very interesting -even if i do not speak german...will give it a go, thx
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 11:54 AM   #50
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
BUT the guy who checked the pre-installation for the tweeters told me the speakers that are closer to the tweeters DO HAVE an output (a second entrance) that should lead to the tweeters - so in theory the tweeters can be connected to the audio system by the closer speaker.
The standard speaker:

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewto...t=upgrade+plan

I guess you won't improve the sound by adding an extra tweeter.
It will only sound muddier than before.
If you want to improve the sound quality, start by replacing the 4 mid/high range speaker with good full range ones.

If you want the system to sound louder an extra amplifier is required.
To get a better bass sound you will need a sub woofer and extra amplifier.

EdP
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 03:04 PM   #51
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEdP View Post
I guess you won't improve the sound by adding an extra tweeter. It will only sound muddier than before.
Sorry, but insofar I have to disagree. The sound quality just with the additional tweeters has already improved noticably - the sound is much crisper and brighter - certainly not "muddy" at all.

Of course I agree that completely replacing the speakers or even adding an amp might bring much better results.

Best regards

Mick
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 06:22 PM   #52
alex197444
Registered
Rep
Drives: z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick70 View Post
@alex

I have added the tweeters of the top hifi to my basic hifi exactly the way you describe it - they include a prewired 6db filter (capacitor) to cut off the low frequencies and a plug that fits perfectly into the existing door speaker's receptacle. The filter will keep the impedance almost where it is without the tweeter - so I cannot believe that this configuration will do any harm to your radio.

The sound quality increase - even without additional amp - is remarkable .

If you need installing information: Look here (also included: Amp installation advice - thanks to EdP!)

BTW: Forget about upgrading tweeters to the rear speakers without an additional amp - you still won't hear anything .

Best regards

Mick
Hi there mick!
Thanks a lot for your post! I am starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel

Since the tweeter comes with the prewired filter, i guess it wont damage anything, or not? (just to know a second opinion)
Can anyone help on this issue? This prewired filter of 6db that comes with the tweeter prevents future damages to the audio system, or not?

thanks!
alex
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 02:02 AM   #53
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Since the tweeter comes with the prewired filter, i guess it wont damage anything, or not? (just to know a second opinion)
Hi Alex,

just me again, glad to help I'll try to explain:

Of course the filter primarily protects the tweeter from powerful and thus dangerous low frequencies: Power consumption is not spread evenly throughout the audible spectrum. Low bass attacks take much more energy to move the "huge" woofers to make your stomach vibrate (OK, not with E89's standard hifi) whereas high frequencies require much less energy to make your ears scream. So tweeters can be built much smaller and the coil's wire can have a much smaller diameter, provided that the powerful low frequencies are cut off with a filter.

Generally speaking, if you power a bass (or broadband) woofer with a 50W normal music program, your tweeter will only get approximately a true 5W high frequency power as long as you cut off the low frequencies with a 6 dB Filter (capacitor) at 4500 Hz.

In turn, the impedance in the most dangerous high power low frequency range won't change significantly. The tweeter will be only set in "parallel circuit" where the capacitor (no additional coils in the filter circuit!) lets through the low power high frequencies.

Even if the overall impedance of the speaker system should become too low, I am pretty sure that this will not do any harm to your radio. Before that happens, overheat and overcurrent protection (included in practically all solid state amplifers in modern radios) would engage and shut off the speakers. I have heard in a German forum that such protection has already worked perfectly in a E89 standard hifi system with a damaged (coil short circuit) woofer that could be replaced without leaving any harm to the radio.

Perhaps here's someone else to confirm my conclusions, just to be safe!

Best regards

Mick
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 10:38 AM   #54
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick70 View Post
Perhaps here's someone else to confirm my conclusions, just to be safe!
Confirmed!
For high frequencies this won't be a problem.

EdP
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 04:43 AM   #55
davidmbell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 E91 318d Exclusive

Garage List
For those that have done this amp mod, I take it there's no real reason why I can't use my existing 4 channel amp that I removed from my old car and use it in this car, but with the Blaupunkt wiring? Surely all the Blaupunkt wiring does is take the audio feed from the output of the headunit, feed it to the amp, and back again, but out via the cars existing wiring?

So I buy the blaupunkt wires, chop the ends off at the amp end and screw onto existing amp (using high level input) and I'm away?? Power comes from battery, plus whichever pin it was for remote switching?

David
Automatic
Business Nav
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 05:18 AM   #56
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbell View Post
For those that have done this amp mod, I take it there's no real reason why I can't use my existing 4 channel amp that I removed from my old car and use it in this car, but with the Blaupunkt wiring? Surely all the Blaupunkt wiring does is take the audio feed from the output of the headunit, feed it to the amp, and back again, but out via the cars existing wiring?

So I buy the blaupunkt wires, chop the ends off at the amp end and screw onto existing amp (using high level input) and I'm away?? Power comes from battery, plus whichever pin it was for remote switching?

David
Which radio unit do you own at the moment? This one, The standard/business radio :

Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 05:28 AM   #57
davidmbell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I have the built in NAV so i have this one

David
Automatic
Business Nav
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 05:39 AM   #58
davidmbell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Incidentally while reading a Google Translation of someone else who's installed a Blaupunkt, I noted they linked to this place

http://translate.googleusercontent.c...F8ZNc7It29udjQ

The wiring is cheaper there but a slightly different model no.

Is this the same?

David
Automatic
Business Nav
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2010, 06:06 AM   #59
davidmbell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Ignore that last post, it doesn't include the Z4 specific wiring - does this look like the right sort of thing:

This is a VW one though, but think BM one is similar if not the same:

David
Automatic
Business Nav
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 03:54 AM   #60
zedd4
Registered
Rep
Drives: Alpine White Z4 S-Drive 35i

Hi folks - first post - I want to upgrade the pretty useless standard stereo in my Z4, and after reading several previous threads both here and elsewhere, I think the most effective first step will be to add on the missing tweeters from the standard setup followed by an amp install. Does anyone have any recommendation for the tweeters, as I guess the BMW ones willl be a ridiculous price?

Thanks - Laurie.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 04:05 AM   #61
zedd4
Registered
Rep

Alternatively, I could replace all the original speakers with decent quality ones - does anyone know the standard sizes?

Laurie.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 04:08 AM   #62
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd4 View Post
Hi folks - first post - I want to upgrade the pretty useless standard stereo in my Z4, and after reading several previous threads both here and elsewhere, I think the most effective first step will be to add on the missing tweeters from the standard setup followed by an amp install. \
I would suggest to start and add a subwoofer plus amp. The tweeters will not improve the sound quality, especially the tweeters BMW installs. The next weak link is the head unit followed by the 4" front and rear speakers.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 05:24 AM   #63
zedd4
Registered
Rep

Thanks for that - is it possible to replace the head unit then? Is there trim surround available to make it look OK? if so, then maybe that is best place to start, as a PNP amp will still be limited by the signal from the OEM head unit.

I want to get the best bang for my buck from any upgrade, so need to identify the best place to start, which may be the head unit....
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2010, 06:14 AM   #64
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedd4 View Post
Thanks for that - is it possible to replace the head unit then? Is there trim surround available to make it look OK? if so, then maybe that is best place to start, as a PNP amp will still be limited by the signal from the OEM head unit.

I want to get the best bang for my buck from any upgrade, so need to identify the best place to start, which may be the head unit....
This is what I have done:

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewto...p?f=23&t=11335

If you want to use the steering wheel buttons, page 3 of this thread shows a can bus interface.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #65
davidmbell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Can I resurrect an old thread please and ask how you actually remove the head unit itself please?

Thanks

David
Automatic
Business Nav
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #66
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbell View Post
Can I resurrect an old thread please and ask how you actually remove the head unit itself please?

Thanks

David
Click on the link of my previous post. The first page shows the mounting points of the orginal radio. The second page you will find a picture of the cover plate below the radio that should be removed first. This plate is 'clicked' in the dashboard frame.

EdP
Appreciate 0