New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-25-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
JDB30
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 sDrive 35i

Hpfp Question

Shorty after getting my E89, I had a stretch of some rather long cranks before the car would start. This lasted a couple months. Then, all of a sudden, it began starting normally. Has anyone else experienced this? Having read about the HPFP issue, I would guess that it was causing the long cranks. But what would account for the fact that it no longer does this and now appears to be working normally? I did not take the car in for service, by the way. Thanks for any help with this.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 06:10 AM   #2
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDB30 View Post
Shorty after getting my E89, I had a stretch of some rather long cranks before the car would start. This lasted a couple months. Then, all of a sudden, it began starting normally. Has anyone else experienced this? Having read about the HPFP issue, I would guess that it was causing the long cranks. But what would account for the fact that it no longer does this and now appears to be working normally? I did not take the car in for service, by the way. Thanks for any help with this.
Almost certainly not HPFP. When it fails, it's a hard failure and will not self-correct (am not sure how it would work for an owner who lives a life of prayer). Throws codes and gives Reduced Engine Power flag on DIC. Runs rough.

3 or4 second cranks are not unusual if car has sat for more than a day.

Even so, may be other fault and code readout should tell the tale. Suggest dealer check if it comes back.

(Wife's 535i had HPFP failure. It is not a subtle problem if it shows up.)
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 07:34 AM   #3
BOGONY
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i cab /2011 535 XI

I had the problem about 6 months ago.
It was not a HPFP problem.
Dealer did a reprogram and no further issues.
Have it checked out.
Appreciate 0