New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-31-2014, 01:33 PM   #1
lamy29
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.5i 2010

looking for comment on 2010 35i mode break, steering, idrive

Hi everyone,
I'm new to not just the forum but to BMW and roadster. I got mine used, its auto, 2010 35i model. I have a few questions for owners of similar model and year. Currently there are two nagging issues that i'm not sure if its just the manufacturing or the car itself.

First, the steering on the wheel is a bit stiff when turning at low speeds. I have owned and test drove other models and all are fairly easy to run with one hand at low parking lot speeds. I noticed that it get really tight the more you turn the when at 1.5 the rotation. When I took it to the dealer and 1 other shop the shop foreman said its fine. I test drove the lower 2009 3.0 and 2015 2.4 model both did not feel this stiff, effortless to turn.

Second, is the break pedal, I some times break hard specially when coming to a quick red-light or quick stopping traffic. I noticed that I really have to put my foot down in those situations to get the hard breaking to come on. Using regular breaking I would have to step 1/4 in to notice a gradual break response. I guess it just doesn't seem as responsive and more effort is needed to get that.

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed the above issue or is this normal? Both issues BMW shop has said they are working normal and because it is "electronic" there is no way to adjust it. I just cant seem to find it in me believe that those statements I love this car got the loaner 2014 2.8i and it drives the way I want it to but my 3.5i engine sounds and pulls so great.

Oh lastly, my idrive doesn't play music audio via Blue tooth, phone works fine with various phone models but on the external connection it just shows the blinking connecting BT icon on top right screen and nothing happens. I guess my question is has anyone tried to update idrive on this model to the latest 2014 version, if that is even possible, will it even fix it?

Sorry for the long message, thanks everyone! (Happy New Year)
Lamy
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 11:22 AM   #2
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Regarding Bluetooth, you can update the phone and media software (firmware?) on your Z4 using USB stick in the USB port in the glove compartment. I don't have the url readily available, but a quick search on the forum or Google should get you to the official BMW web site. It will ask for your VIN so have that ready.

Updating may help with some feature functionality.

Some phones do not support both phone and media connectivity at the same time (don't know the technical details, but something with different Bluetooth profiles or protocols being used).
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #3
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
Regarding Bluetooth, you can update the phone and media software (firmware?) on your Z4 using USB stick in the USB port in the glove compartment. I don't have the url readily available, but a quick search on the forum or Google should get you to the official BMW web site. It will ask for your VIN so have that ready.

Updating may help with some feature functionality.

Some phones do not support both phone and media connectivity at the same time (don't know the technical details, but something with different Bluetooth profiles or protocols being used).
Only if your car has combox hardware. combox was not introduced into the e89 until late 2010/early 2011. Prior to that was 'cop' and this does not do album artwork/bluetooth/apps and some other minor operations.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 09:56 PM   #4
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

for the 2012 model year, there was a recall for the electronic power steering

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-631481.html

It is a long shot, but those EPS related parts that were recalled on the 2012 could be an issue for your car also.

Another thing to check on is the wheel and tire used for your car. For example, when I changed to 235/40/18 Dunlop ZII from the stock 225/35/19 Bridgestone RE050A RFT the steering got heavier. If there was a difference in tire from your 35i vs. the loaner 28i (i.e. 19s on your car vs. 17s on the loaner) that could have caused the steering feel difference too.

For the brakes, check your service records for the last time the brake fluid was flushed. If it has been over 1 year, consider doing a brake fluid flush.

Good luck sorting through these and congrats on the new car. Welcome.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 07:56 AM   #5
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

FYI the recall is for builds 11/11-12/12.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2015, 08:59 PM   #6
Squddie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

BMW's electrically supported power steering obviously goes through some initial force adjustment in the factory, at least the plain one that is increasing force by speed. That's why all those non-DHP F30 variants drive so differently. They seem to mess with it a lot and they don't let anybody including the dealers re-adjust.

The one that you get in F30s with the DHP is also increasing ratio by angle and it seems a lot more consistent. This isn't available in any Z4 past or present, IIRC so it's not that.

Your brake feel might be based on ceramic pads put in by a previous owner. At low speeds around standstill they are a lot smoother, which also means they don't bite that much around standstill. See whether they are Akebonos.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 04:56 AM   #7
lamy29
Rep

Thanks for all the reply. I'll look into those more maybe try a 3rd shop (a performance shop). Also call to see if i'm part of that recall.

I also found an adapter fix using tune2air for my bluetooth issue, hopefully it will be cheaper then retro fit combox. Just ordered it hope it will work.

Thanks again, happy new year.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 01:23 PM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

As jparnes pointed out, the EPS recall was for a very specific range of build dates (which a 2010 is outside of). I brought that up only because EPS issue would cause more steering effort you described so at least you have something more specific to bring up and discuss at the next shop you go to
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #9
lamy29
Rep

ok ty.
Appreciate 0