New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

05-24-2016, 10:54 PM   #89
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Thought about this a year or two ago with some friends but decided not to. Too many cooks in the kitchen.
There are so many factors: Income, area, income tax bracket, projected real estate prices, and more.

If a person cannot afford by him/herself and the option is renting, cobuying can be a good choice IF a proper agreement is prepared and signed. Its certainly not for everybody.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2016, 11:03 PM   #90
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
I'm not reading the whole thread, but I was where you are.

I bought the house myself, with my money and credit, then had my SO move in later. We got married, so it didn't matter much anyway. I knew with her income plus mine, we could split the mortgage and it'd be better financially for both of us, but I loved her then so I let that make my mind up for me. Luckily it worked out and we have a family and all is well.

That being said, I'd only buy a house *with* her (i.e. she's on the mortgage too) if you're going to marry this chick. My sister bought a house with her fiance and wound up getting screwed because they called the wedding off (he turned out to be quite the prick). She bought the house with him, she put more money into it initially, they wound up losing money, just an overall shitty situation. Unless you're positive about this girl, I wouldn't buy the house with her. Just rent a place for now, no rush to buy a home. Or if you really wanna buy a house, buy it yourself.
I'm not in a rush. My goal is to be homeowner by end of next year or early 2018. I agree with you and majority here that unless I'm sure about marriage, I shouldn't do it (or at least have a good contract in place). With that said, it's not like I'm jumping into it next week. Some of my friends have done it and it's worked out so I was curious.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 12:19 AM   #91
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorLurker View Post
White friends buy you a blender.

Asians bring this

$$$$
A camera?
Since it was an Asian wedding, this moment was captured from 500 different angles.
      05-25-2016, 07:20 AM   #92
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sed335i
My wife and I bought our first house before we were even engaged. We both had our names on the title and mortgage in case anything happened, but you have to gauge the relationship. Nobody knows your relationship better than you and your SO, so you have to be honest with yourselves before making this type of commitment.

We knew we were eventually going to get married and decided the time was right to buy a house when we did and we're now married with a baby boy, a dog and on our 2nd home (just moved in last month to a brand new colonial!).

Good luck!
Good advice here.
Everyone has different relationship dynamics and bonds between as well as risk tolerance....there is no doubt many would call you crazy for buying a house with someone after a year in a relationship....but these same people may not be successful at relationships in general themselves.
So this really comes back to you....be objective on the pros-cons.
And if you tend to create successful and long lasting relations....I would lean towards the possibility of a good outcome with your purchase.
If you tend to get into relationships that don't last....I would highly suggest against buying with a partner until the relationship is assuredly stable.
Risks are everywhere....look for them/weight them and govern yourself accordingly.
GL
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 08:14 AM   #93
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Are you still together? How long has it been?
We are two years into it (the house) now and got married last August. The lesson I learned from this experience is that having mature and meaningful conversations with respect to finances prior to buying the home and setting expectations make for a better/stronger relationship. My first marriage didn't work that way and ended badly after 23 years.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2016, 08:54 AM   #94
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrequency View Post
We are two years into it (the house) now and got married last August. The lesson I learned from this experience is that having mature and meaningful conversations with respect to finances prior to buying the home and setting expectations make for a better/stronger relationship. My first marriage didn't work that way and ended badly after 23 years.
Thanks for the answer. Yours looked to me the most sensible way to do this so I was hoping it worked out for you! Here's to 23 GREAT years with the new one!
      05-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #95
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

My middle son just bought a house with his SO in January. They've been together about 18 months, he met her when he moved up to Oregon.

To add to their potential mess, I think they are up to 3 Great Danes. 1 in an apt. didn't work so well (imagine that)

The wife automatically assumed when they bought the house we needed to prepare a wedding. They both say that isn't in the very near future.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 02:27 PM   #96
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axius View Post
Don't do it unless she is just going to help home shop and you plan on having the mortgage under your name only and can pay for it on your own.
This is what I did last year.

Bought my own house with my own money and credit. I was 23, now 24. My girlfriend and I have been together for almost 3 years now. It's been great for the most part. She pays rent and we both buy things for the house. We're both happy, yay.
🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com

Last edited by suspenceful; 05-25-2016 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2016, 10:43 PM   #97
RJ_
Baby-faced Assassin
No_Country
Rep
Drives: when car isn't broke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspenceful View Post

Bought my own house with my own money and credit. I was 23, now 24. My girlfriend and I have been together for almost 3 years now. It's been great for the most part. She pays rent and we both buy things for the house. We're both happy, yay.
I tried doing this with my SO. Problem was my place is a multi-unit, so my expenses are already "covered" on the property. She was offended and said she wouldn't pay rent.

Fast forward a few months, she's bought her own SFH and wants me to move in with her... and pay her rent.

Maybe I'm just a dick, but this doesn't seem quite fair to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 06:20 AM   #98
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_
I tried doing this with my SO. Problem was my place is a multi-unit, so my expenses are already "covered" on the property. She was offended and said she wouldn't pay rent.

Fast forward a few months, she's bought her own SFH and wants me to move in with her... and pay her rent.

How are yours already "covered"? Does the ow era of the multi-unit cover them?
      05-26-2016, 07:38 AM   #99
RJ_
Baby-faced Assassin
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
How are yours already "covered"? Does the ow era of the multi-unit cover them?
I'm the owner, rent from the other unit is just above my expenses, so it doesn't cost me anything out of pocket to live there.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 07:49 AM   #100
jtodd_fl
Rep

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_ View Post
I'm the owner, rent from the other unit is just above my expenses, so it doesn't cost me anything out of pocket to live there.
So then, YOUR money and investment is what bought the multi-unit (s: I guessed this.) So YOU took the risk, YOU maintain the property. What you should do is jack your own rent up high, pay yourself the rent and make her pay you half. Heh. Yeah man, my rent is like $5000/month. You owe me $2500.
      05-26-2016, 08:16 AM   #101
RJ_
Baby-faced Assassin
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodd_fl View Post
So then, YOUR money and investment is what bought the multi-unit (s: I guessed this.) So YOU took the risk, YOU maintain the property. What you should do is jack your own rent up high, pay yourself the rent and make her pay you half. Heh. Yeah man, my rent is like $5000/month. You owe me $2500.
This is genius. Wish I would have thought of this myself.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 12:30 PM   #102
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Ha ha... could you fuggin imagine all those babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspenceful View Post

Only a few more years to go and she gets to take half your shit w/o even paying any dues.

j/k

or am i?
      05-26-2016, 12:42 PM   #103
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
Quote:

She lived with you and would not pay rent? Then she went house hunting without you, bought a place, and then asked you moving in with her for a fee?

Something is not adding up in my head. If I were serious enough to be living with a SO and house hunting was happening, it would be a decision that we made and executed together. We would also be making plans on what to do about the old place we lived in. like... rent that out to help pay our new mortgage.

Obviously, I'm missing something. Regardless, the shit doesn't work.

Now you both have to sell and find a new place that is both of yours or set each other on fire.

I would choose fire.
      05-26-2016, 01:07 PM   #104
atxgt3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 E92, 17 X5M, 15 Huracan

Quote:

Don't you mean your EX SO? I really hope you do.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 01:22 PM   #105
suspenceful
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 2008 135i, 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
Only a few more years to go and she gets to take half your shit w/o even paying any dues.

j/k

or am i?
Lol, she'd have to put some effort into it. Her name is on nothing. My name is on everything. Obviously this is hypothetical, but shit happens.

Things between us have been going great for a long time. I'm sure we'll get married and have kids eventually, but neither of us want that yet. My goal is to sell the house in 4 years and get something together where we can raise our kids.

🏁 Shop BMW merchandise: bimmerstreet.com
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2016, 06:31 PM   #106
RJ_
Baby-faced Assassin
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtron View Post
She lived with you and would not pay rent? Then she went house hunting without you, bought a place, and then asked you moving in with her for a fee?

Something is not adding up in my head. If I were serious enough to be living with a SO and house hunting was happening, it would be a decision that we made and executed together. We would also be making plans on what to do about the old place we lived in. like... rent that out to help pay our new mortgage.

Obviously, I'm missing something. Regardless, the shit doesn't work.

Now you both have to sell and find a new place that is both of yours or set each other on fire.

I would choose fire.
We've not lived together. Originally she was planning to move in with me, but due to it being an investment property in a not so nice area, it seemed best to look elsewhere for a place since I planned to move on and buy another property in the near future.
It was at this point in the discussion where the talk of rent came up.

Anyway, she was really looking for a place to call home and not one of my crappy rentals. Like OP asked, she initially wanted to buy it together, but I declined. So i helped her house hunt and pick out a place that could potentially be "ours" someday, but currently it's only hers. So when talking of moving in together now, she expects me to pay her rent, which I think is reasonable, except that when it was the other way around she thought it was crazy of me to expect that.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2016, 06:34 PM   #107
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Are you married? Then yes.

If you're not, then no.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASBSECU E93 View Post
^this.

Mods, this thread may now be closed.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 1