New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

04-22-2012, 12:00 PM   #111
UBI
Germany
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Hi Asbjørn!

Thank you very much for your fine videos!!!

I agree with you, we have very fine cars.

Kind regards,
UBI
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 04:19 AM   #112
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjørn View Post
Some silly bonus videos from my home here in China

Starting up at home (factory ECU)
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzg1NDM1MzUy.html

Exiting the parking basement
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzg1NDM4MDg0.html

ESS doing their magic on my car:
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzg1NDQyOTQ4.html

Starting first time after programming stage 2
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzg1NDQzNDA0.html

On my way home again
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzg1NDQyNDg4.html

Password is again "BMW" - and btw, I just love this car!
Good videos though I can't seem to get at this one;

The password is refused?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 08:32 AM   #113
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
Good videos though I can't seem to get at this one;

The password is refused?
Please try again now - password was set to "B;W" by mistake!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 08:43 AM   #114
Seechun
Rep
Drives: Z4

ESS Installed

Just installed ESS tonight and the results are sweet!

Review of the process:

- Received the ESS kit within a week after ordering (AUS)
- Installed software but did not recognise the USB connector cable, tried several computers with no success (FYI windows only, I used VMware to install the software)
- Sent email to ESS and received an updated software version (I suggest you guys include this in the USB instead of the older version)
- Took just over 1 hour to download the stock ECU (much longer than expected so if you are planning to do it make sure you allow enough time...as you can't stop once you start it
- Emailed stock flash and received back next day
- Uploaded new ECU and only took 15 mins total, a few warning messages came up on the LCD such as transmission error, etc but when the tune was finished just pressed OK and they all dissappeared
- Short test drive and back to check error codes
- No errors so all went well!

Initial results, the car definitely takes off faster and you can feel the power coming more immediately than before. In sports+ mode this makes the most difference and the gear changes sound a lot clearer now, kind of gives out a short blurp sound every gear change now

No significant sound changes for idling and minor acceleration sound improvement

Overall an awesome investment, easy to use (plug and play), and looking forward to trying out the car at the track this weekend!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #115
baldguyj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 e89 35i Sdrive

Let us know how it goes, I'm almost to the end warranty so might make purchase soon as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seechun View Post
Just installed ESS tonight and the results are sweet!

Review of the process:

- Received the ESS kit within a week after ordering (AUS)
- Installed software but did not recognise the USB connector cable, tried several computers with no success (FYI windows only, I used VMware to install the software)
- Sent email to ESS and received an updated software version (I suggest you guys include this in the USB instead of the older version)
- Took just over 1 hour to download the stock ECU (much longer than expected so if you are planning to do it make sure you allow enough time...as you can't stop once you start it
- Emailed stock flash and received back next day
- Uploaded new ECU and only took 15 mins total, a few warning messages came up on the LCD such as transmission error, etc but when the tune was finished just pressed OK and they all dissappeared
- Short test drive and back to check error codes
- No errors so all went well!

Initial results, the car definitely takes off faster and you can feel the power coming more immediately than before. In sports+ mode this makes the most difference and the gear changes sound a lot clearer now, kind of gives out a short blurp sound every gear change now

No significant sound changes for idling and minor acceleration sound improvement

Overall an awesome investment, easy to use (plug and play), and looking forward to trying out the car at the track this weekend!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 03:26 AM   #116
snk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4

From ESS site:

When ordering this product you will receive 1 ESS E-Flash OBD2 programming system which will VIN lock to your car.

Does this mean I can't re-sell or use on a different car?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #117
KCSchoey
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by snk View Post
From ESS site:

When ordering this product you will receive 1 ESS E-Flash OBD2 programming system which will VIN lock to your car.

Does this mean I can't re-sell or use on a different car?

That is correct.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #118
ymdd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: not fast enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman@ESS
Quote:
Originally Posted by integraworks View Post
I looked at JB4 closely and was going to go that direction... until someone else noted that you have to remove the thing before going in to the dealer for scheduled service. Even if you don't the visible signs of "tampering" with the ECU enclosure can be visible. Also, with jumpers & harnesses etc, there is more of a chance of failure and even the bending or breaking of OEM components on the install and removal.

Ultimately it was the ease of use with the ESS unit that sold me. They have a very good reputation too.
Also very different products.

One is designed to "trick" the ECU and the other remaps the original factory ECU software. Remapping the original factory software takes more knowledge, is more sophisticated and has a higher degree of difficulty then adding a plug in harness to the signal. We feel it is best that the vehicles built in adaptation and safety control systems always know what is going on, especially when turning up boost. This allows the ECU to make corrections on the fly when needed depending on conditions and allows for issue free ownership. You can also do more to change the way a vehicle performs and drives when you have 100% control over the entire operating system.
How is the launch control effected ? Can I still use it ? Is it faster? With the increase of power does the temperature increase ?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #119
ymdd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: not fast enough

How is the launch control effected ? With the increase of power does the temperature increase? What is the maximum torque/power the DCT can handle?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #120
Seechun
Rep

Impressive Power!

Sorry for late update but was in Singapore last week

So I went to the track 28/07 (note that this was my first time behind any car at the track) and was very close to shatting my pants going down the straights with the Z4 35i ESS Stage II tune...

Very... very quick and the power is very solid (power comes much quicker than with the stock tune, its very noticeable), first session I was just getting used to the track and the car and by the third session I had a good handle and was setting a good pace.

Set a 1:14.5 as my best lap (Wakefield) which was just over 10secs off the fastest car on the day (which was modded to sh..) and I know I can easily improve on that on my next visit as I will be more familiar with the lines. Maybe to put into perspective, there was a BMW M3 E46 that set 1:11.3 as his best lap

Not sure if this will come up but here are the full lap times:

http://circuitclub.com.au/event/28

Should have some more photos soon and will be going back next month to set some faster times!

Only one issue experienced was that after the third session my windows weren't working anymore so when I closed my door there was a gap between the window as it didn't wind down to allow the door to close properly. On the way home it apparently fixed itself.

Also I picked up a stone chip or two on my CF lip

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 11:43 PM   #121
wdlfbio
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 4S, 2015 3500 HD Dually,

downloaded my ECU tonight and emailed it to ESS. It literally took me exactly one hour. Glad I did it at home with the battery charger hooked up. I'm hopeful that ESS will have the new tune emailed back tomorrow. So far, Asbjorn has been extremely responsive to ALL my dumb questions and needs. I have a fun drive planned for Sunday

Last edited by wdlfbio; 08-10-2012 at 05:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #122
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

Videos?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 01:54 PM   #123
Z4-VILLA
Banned
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Z4M Hardtop Roadster

Im seriously thinking to buy the E89....
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 12:46 PM   #124
wdlfbio
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 4S, 2015 3500 HD Dually,

What do you hope to see in a video?

I'm going to try to run our stock M3 against the Zed just for kicks. Will be straight runs, so I figured the M will lose.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #125
Tom (Atl)
BMW Fan
US Virgin Islands
Rep
Drives: wego

Does anyone have a dyno of this ess tune?
How much better is it than a cobb tune? I'd like to see dynos of both.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 11:18 PM   #126
motobike
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW

Downloading my stock ECU for ESS tune took 1hour15mins. Is that normal, or is there something I need to worry about?

The ESS software runs on Windows only, so I did it on a Mac using VMwareFusion.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #127
Seechun
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobike View Post
Downloading my stock ECU for ESS tune took 1hour15mins. Is that normal, or is there something I need to worry about?

The ESS software runs on Windows only, so I did it on a Mac using VMwareFusion.
I think it's normal, I also ran it on VMware and took exactly 1 hour to download but only 15 mins to upload
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #128
motobike
Enlisted Member
Rep

I did not notice any difference in Power/Torque after loading the ESS tune

I admit that I'm clueless when it comes to cars or maybe unlucky as well! The initial software load was unsuccessful, so I recharged the car battery for a couple of hours, and it worked after that. Did I not do something right, or my expectation of "wow" like what others have mentioned is just too high?

I have a 2011 35iS DCT, and according to the software upgrade it's for StageI. I guess this thread is for Stage2. I paid $995 and I thought I was getting Stage2???

Last edited by motobike; 09-08-2012 at 07:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 07:15 PM   #129
AsiaKid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GTR/Gallardo Spyder/X5

if you have an IS, stage 1 is essentially the same figures as IS. you need to tune it to stage II (or IS' stage I) for you to get any feel from it. The software you purchased allows you to choose either stage 1 or 2 (i think, i ordered it but didnt install it yet). But because our 35is comes with BMW's own stage 1, you need to use ESS" stage 2 (which is a stage 1 tune for the 35is) - does that make sense?

Btw, to the others reading it. Do you need any upgrades to handle the stage 2? Or can it run witth everything else stock?

Quote:
I did not notice any difference in Power/Torque after loading the ESS tune

I admit that I'm clueless when it comes to cars or maybe unlucky as well! The initial software load was unsuccessful, so I recharged the car battery for a couple of hours, and it worked after that. Did I not do something right, or my expectation of "wow" like what others have mentioned is just too high?

I have a 2011 35iS DCT, and according to the software upgrade it's for StageI. I guess this thread is for Stage2. I paid $995 and I thought I was getting Stage2???
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #130
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsiaKid View Post
Btw, to the others reading it. Do you need any upgrades to handle the stage 2? Or can it run with everything else stock?
You can run Stage 2 with stock components. However, I think the two best improvements to go with that would be a 1) FMIC and 2) DPs. The FMIC would allow stronger/longer pulls, less heat soak, and more power while the DPs would allow the exhaust gas to escape more quickly for more power, faster turbo spin up, and better exhaust sound with delete of the primary cats. That would run you about $2k US or less plus installation. The very best mod is Michelin PSS tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 11:07 AM   #131
motobike
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsiaKid View Post
if you have an IS, stage 1 is essentially the same figures as IS. you need to tune it to stage II (or IS' stage I) for you to get any feel from it. The software you purchased allows you to choose either stage 1 or 2 (i think, i ordered it but didnt install it yet). But because our 35is comes with BMW's own stage 1, you need to use ESS" stage 2 (which is a stage 1 tune for the 35is) - does that make sense?

Btw, to the others reading it. Do you need any upgrades to handle the stage 2? Or can it run witth everything else stock?
I've emailed ESS to get a definitive answer, and will report back once they get me some answers.

From what I can tell after driving them side-by-side, I don't feel any difference between stock+ESS(stage1) vs. stock for the 35is DCT.

Last edited by motobike; 09-09-2012 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #132
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Quote:
I've emailed ESS to get a better answer, and will report back once they get me some answers.

From what I can tell after driving them side-by-side, I don't feel any difference between stock+ESS(stage1) vs. stock for the 35is DCT.
I am pretty sure AsiaKid's answer on this is correct but ESS will let you know for sure.
Appreciate 0