New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-25-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
Mperor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 911S, G80 M3

Choices: Cayman S, TT RS, Z4, or Evora

Hello. I'm in the market of buying a new vehicle in a few months.
I like the new Z4 but with the price starting at $54K and possibly option for the M Sport Package... loaded I think it would be around the mid $60K's.
I know the Cayman S, TT RS and Evora are at the $70K range but close enough for me to make a decision.
I had a Boxster S before, so Cayman S should be a great ride. TT RS looks impressive on specs and great mileage but not sure about the $$. Evora, well, nice looking car and unqiue but not sure about the reliability.
Let's say if $$ is not an issue for these 4 cars... which would you pick and why? Though, I would suspect most of you pick the Z4
TIA
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
AndyE1976
Brit in GA
United_States
Rep
Drives: Saab 9-3SE Cab

The TT is unlikely to drive as well as the Z4, although in most circumstances it'll be fun - I'm sure it'll be quick.

The Cayman S will handle great, but is really expensive. I think the Z4 will be better value and is equally as good looking.

The Evora is a huge disappointment for me, I don't like the way it looks and although it'll handle well (it's a Lotus) and it'll be reliable (it's a Toyota engine), the interior isn't as special as the Z4, Porsche or Audi and the exterior is too quirky for me. Which is a shame as the Elise/Exige are great cars and I was hoping the Evora would just be a more practical version of these (like the Europa, but actually practical).

I think the biggest competition would be the M3 or C63 AMG. You can pick up an SLK55 AMG for $30-40k at the moment and that's sorely tempting.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 02:49 AM   #3
Ced
Private
Rep
Drives: E36 E46 M3

what about a pre-owned Cayman S?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 11:20 PM   #4
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

I am in the same boat as the OP. I would not get the Evora (already have a Lotus so am familiar with their philosophy) because from my experience they have their shortcomings. If Lotus had gone with a BMW engine in the Evora as Lotus were originally considering, it would have been more attractive to me personally.

The 2009 Porsche Cayman S I like the design of and the engine is excellent. But it is let down by the interior, which whilst of above-average quality is a bit too bland and also the pricey options. Something about the Cayman appeals to me more than other Porsches.

The Audi...well I just dont like Audi.

That brings up the new Z4 N54. Have not seen one in person, but I imagine it will be an exceptional sports-cruiser-type car. However...it is really hard not to consider other options around that sort of price point right?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 02:40 AM   #5
jlstyle
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Porsche Panamera

Garage List
2014 Audi S7  [0.00]
2015 BMW X5  [0.00]
TT RS or used cayman s.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2009, 06:50 AM   #6
335Transformer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Forecast: Sunny

TT-RS, next Cayman S, then Z4. Never Lotus.
      04-04-2009, 06:05 PM   #7
roburado
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Passat, '09 Cayman S

Garage List
1991 318is  [0.00]
I was making a similar choice. Instead of TT-RS, I was looking at the TT-S, because I was attracted by the performance and efficiency of the car.

I chose the Cayman S. Why? Money. I was leasing. The deal on the TT-S was basically the same as the deal on the Cayman S in terms of monthly payments. Why? Cayman S had higher residual value (like 58 - 59% vs. the Audi, which had something like a residual value of 46%). Porsche had a cheaper interest rate by about 2%. The end result was that for the $50K TT-S that I was interested in would have cost me similar money (in terms of money down and monthly payment) as the Cayman S. So, I chose Cayman S. I thought it was a more focused car that seemed to handle better. It seemed to roll less in the twisties, and overall just seemed to perform better. Now, I imagine the TT-S will have some advantage in crappy weather with the Quattro system, but I already have an all-wheel-drive car that will be my bad weather car.

So, don't forget to look at the money aspect in terms of lease or financing payments. Of course, that is a non-issue if you're paying cash.

Lotus? I have no experience.

BMW Z4? Well, I was all set to pull the trigger on the TT-S lease with the idea that I was going to return the car after 3 years and lease the Z4 or another BMW. In the end I test drove the Cayman S and just loved the driving experience. The Z4 vs. TT-S comparison went out the window. Unfortunately, with the 19" rims and Pilot Sports on there, it's not going to win any prizes for a nice smooth ride, but still, it's fun as hell.

Family History: Two E21 320i, One E28 535is, One E34 535i, One E34 540i
Appreciate 0