New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Got a flat on my OEM RFTs

Discovered a 3/4" long screw stuck in the middle of my tread in one of my summer tires when I changed to my winters. Once I took the screw out, air started leaking. Just checking if you think the tire could be fixed or not? Pretty sure the screw was holding the air pressure since it must have been there for ages and my tire monitor didn't go off. If useful, it's one of my rear tires and the hole is probably less than 0.5cm in diameter.

Btw, how much does it cost to have the hole plugged? If plugging is advisable, I guess it's better to wait right before spring rolls around (so I switch back to my summers) instead of plugging now and not knowing if it was done correctly? Thx!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
KrisNL
Hero of the Day
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Can be repaired.
      11-15-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89(N54)

First of all DO NOT listen to any tire seller that it cant be fixed. As long as it is not near the sides of the tire. If they say it cant be fixed, they are only trying to sell you a new set of tires ( yes two, cause the wear of the tire should be even on both sides for safety purposes). the price should be low (in Europe its around 18 USD where i live).
Hope this helped.
      11-15-2010, 04:25 PM   #4
Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 35is & '11 535xi GT

Garage List
It can definitely be plugged. Personally I wouldn't do it. Knowing the way I drive the Z at times, I would rather avoid taking the risk. Depends really on how hard you push your car.
I actually had a long nail in one of my PS2s on my 330ci and never bothered to take it out. The tire was not leaking so I left it there until the tire wore out...

One other way to look at it though is that it is your excuse/opportunity to get rid of the RFTs.
      11-15-2010, 05:20 PM   #5
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

If it can be plugged (basically means the hole is away from the sidewalls and not part of a structural element in the RFT, and there isn't more than one hole in a local area of the tread) then you can do it yourself. Most auto parts stores sell tire plug kits for a few bucks. It consists of some repair plugs (rubberized rope), rubber cement, a t-handle file to rough up the hole, and a t-handle tool to insert the plug. It's a piece of cake, and very convenient. In fact, I can usually do it quickly on an inflated tire still on the car and not lose much air. I've done probably a dozen repairs over the years and never had one fail (if you happen to drive through construction sites a lot, nail punctures are common practice).

It's the same technique most tire shops would use. I can't remember the last time I paid for a repair, but I wouldn't expect them to charge more than $10-15 for a plug job, and that's being generous.

By the way, one factor to keep in mind with plug jobs is that it technically alters the balance of the tire. For a single plug, you can ignore the effect. For multiple plugs that don't offset each other, a re-balance might be in order. If I had to plug a single tire more than three time, I would probably start thinking about a new tire depending on the locations.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Good point to wait till spring to have it plugged.

And, yes you can have it fixed since it is in the middle of the thread not near the sidewall. Stand your ground when you do have it plugged tell them "I'm the customer, you have the plugs ... plug it" Then you keep an eye on it.

should be okay, much has been written about RFT plug it or don't plug it.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Speed rating goes away with plugs and patches. Unless you do track days that really shouldn't be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 12:59 AM   #8
KrisNL
Hero of the Day
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafale View Post
It can definitely be plugged. Personally I wouldn't do it. Knowing the way I drive the Z at times, I would rather avoid taking the risk. Depends really on how hard you push your car.
I actually had a long nail in one of my PS2s on my 330ci and never bothered to take it out. The tire was not leaking so I left it there until the tire wore out...

One other way to look at it though is that it is your excuse/opportunity to get rid of the RFTs.
Once I also had a nail in my tire (when I drove Alfa) and just left it in until I needed to replace it. It was plugged and mot leaking, so....
      11-16-2010, 02:09 AM   #9
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

I had a 6 inch (yes 6 inch!) nail in my RFT once for several days before I discovered it. The tire was repaired all good.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 09:57 AM   #10
bmwnorge
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E70

i plugged my rear tire on my motorcycle and it's been fine. lol your car has 4 tires, plugging one is childs play
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #11
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisNL View Post
Once I also had a nail in my tire (when I drove Alfa) and just left it in until I needed to replace it.
That's called unwanted plugging lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #12
AJE
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4

I also got a nail (Used for dry walling) in my RFT left rear after driving for 500KM . As expected BMW ask me to change the tire. But I got it repaired form CanadianTire for 60CAD. Now I am driving close to 4000KM without any problem. Request your tire repair person to carefully inspect the tire and if no issue get it repaired.
Appreciate 0