New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-21-2013, 01:59 AM   #23
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

"You have a lot of options for intakes but three+ years later the tried and true DCI, dual cone intake, is still the intake of choice for those of us who are serious about performance... "
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showth...highlight=myth
      12-21-2013, 05:12 AM   #24
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Speed Racer

Sorry but if cold air intakes don't make a difference then why did BMW spend thousands of euros in researching the current COLD AIR INTAKE setup for the N54 engine?

They could have just let the snorkel pick up hot air from the engine bay like on many cheaper cars....

Also the dyno vs stock ....I assume the stock dyno was with a BRAND NEW stock paper air filter? If it was an old filter it could easily lose 9whp.

I honestly don't believe these filters are worth it on an otherwise stock car.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #25
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89(N54)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboard View Post

When I want to scare myself I pull my little race car out of the garage. Stroked 1.7L with 21lb's of Rotrex supercharged power and whole lot more.
Wow Nice! I got a nice little project to scare myself as well, it's a Ducati 848 with a 1198 engine, full titanium/carbon exhaust, performance ecu, carbon intake, high compression pistons and alot more...
      12-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #26
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunzaro View Post
I honestly don't believe these filters are worth it on an otherwise stock car.
I understand. On an otherwise stock car the DCI filters only look cooler, sound cool, remove the 5.6lb OE intake muffler that heatsoaks and can heat the air, are reuseable and do not negatively influence performance below 4400 rpm while adding a little performance at higher rpm.
After passing thru my HPF fmic my IAT readings are 6°F above the ambient air temperature that our instrument cluster reports while cruising around town sucking in the hot air blowing thru the water radiator when the water temp shows 196-202°.
Otherwise stock cars might be better off with a newshift knob, race pedals or cool floor mats.
      12-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #27
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89(N54)

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4z4z4 View Post
"You have a lot of options for intakes but three+ years later the tried and true DCI, dual cone intake, is still the intake of choice for those of us who are serious about performance... "
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showth...highlight=myth
That's Terry, the owner of BMS... He sells the DCI of course he's gonna show they are better... BUT... At the same paragraph he also say's this:
I should also add it's certainly possible modifying your OEM airbox with an extra filter might offer minimal gains over a dual cone intake assuming you don't mind up cutting up your factory airbox but don't expect much. We've tested this as well with no significant performance gain over a DCI in 40-120mph VBOX times.
So again.. With modified stock airbox you have gains over DCI. Why? Less heatsoak.
      01-08-2014, 01:39 PM   #28
DKZTT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW Z 35i

I have the new AFE sealed cold air intake. I didn't see much of a difference. I did have an issue with clearance. It is slightly a bit too high and the hood won't close completely unless you push hood down hard. I noticed it warped(intake) a little bit because it was a bit too high and the hood was pushing down on it. After having it on for about 3 months, it seems the heat from the engine has made the intake housing somewhat form to the underside and now the hood closes easily. You will see a definite imprint from the intake onto the hood bra where it's been pushing against.
Appreciate 0