New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-12-2011, 09:22 AM   #23
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Hmm, that's another thing I didn't realize about the clear plastic deflectors: there is potential for glare. I'm still in the OEM camp for this one.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 10:18 AM   #24
Wraith.
Captain
Rep
Drives: ED '11 Z4 35is

Sorry Persian but I have to disagree... I drove with it throughout Italy where it was 90+ on the Autostrada doing 80mph or more and it never budged an inch. Further, the screen often sat baking in the sun while we went sight seeing.., we'd return to a car that was well over 100 inside. The mounting strips are industrial grade, not just tape, to the point that I'm a little concerned about being able to remove them when I want to sell the car.

Now that being said, there is one thing that I find annoying about it. When the top is up, on rougher roads, I can hear it creaking a bit. It took me a while to figure out where it was coming from as it isn't consistent and I thought it to be cabin noise. If I'm going on a long trip and I know the top is going to be up (rare) I'll take it out and stow it in the trunk in the flat case that came with he roadster bags. Other than that it completely blends with he car so much so that you won't even notice it's there. Given the alternative of spending $500 for Nylon stockings stretched between the seats or paying to advertise someone's product I'll take the best value for the money particularly if it looks like a natural part of the car.

Attached is a pick of it mounted on the car the morning after I picked it up (Swiss Alps )
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 11:16 AM   #25
RichardC
Sleepy
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e89 Z4 sDrive35i

The OEM wind deflector from the factory also has mesh in the roll bars behind the headrest. I'm not sure if that makes much of a difference in air turbulence, however.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 11:46 AM   #26
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardC View Post
The OEM wind deflector from the factory also has mesh in the roll bars behind the headrest. I'm not sure if that makes much of a difference in air turbulence, however.
I'm sure that it must. That's another pt I forgot about too. I still like my OEM mesh 'nylons' lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #27
Wraith.
Captain
Rep

Very little. Take a look at the seat back in exhibit A.. it blocks the roll bar hole. That is unless your 5ft nuttin' like my wife and you have to crank the seat to it's highest to see out.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 01:21 PM   #28
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith. View Post
Sorry Persian but I have to disagree... I drove with it throughout Italy where it was 90+ on the Autostrada doing 80mph or more and it never budged an inch. Further, the screen often sat baking in the sun while we went sight seeing.., we'd return to a car that was well over 100 inside. The mounting strips are industrial grade, not just tape, to the point that I'm a little concerned about being able to remove them when I want to sell the car.
Ah but you see my friend, that was a short time...

I'm referring to having it on for several several months at a time.

All double sided tape will eventually start to give out.
If you take it off and reapply new tape every so often, then yes, you shouldn't have a problem at all

But I'm referring to something you leave there and don't touch :P

With my current one, it would rattle at first until I played with the positioning. After I got it snug, no more annoying rattle. And I'm the type who will take my car into service multiple times for rattles (I hate them. I can't stand them and I hear them even with music on cause I know they're there...). I've taken the M3 in 5 times for different rattles lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardC View Post
This is actually the main reason I got the one I did.

The one's that sit in the middle don't over the whole rear so more air comes in :/

Quote:
Very little. Take a look at the seat back in exhibit A.. it blocks the roll bar hole. That is unless your 5ft nuttin' like my wife and you have to crank the seat to it's highest to see out.

I'm 5'11" and I notice the difference :P

Then again, unlike most people, I'm very picky and get annoyed by the smallest annoyance. I go to the dealer at least once every 2 weeks, if not once a week, for various stuff on my BMWs.
I'm a regular there on yelp lol, and all the people there (from SAs to Cashier's to Managers to Enterprise people to porter boys) know me now by my first name.

O well, they get paid for service and more-or-less the annoyance of mine is fixed.
I'm worse with women lol.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #29
Wraith.
Captain
Rep

Well mine has been on for a year now.., when i take the center peace out I still leave the mounts in place. Now granted it's only been in the mid 70 to low 80's here but I'd need a crowbar to get them off right now. However, I didn't remove them multiple times to get the fit just right, I imagine each time would weaken the 3M adhesive. Anyway, I'm very pleased with the product but they aren't paying me so I'll shut up now.

Tell me about noises/creaks.. where were they and how did they fix them? I'm heading to service tomorrow for the oil light thing and I'm finding I'm getting increasingly annoyed by the creak in the overhead light unit.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #30
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well mine has been on for a year now.., when i take the center peace out I still leave the mounts in place. Now granted it's only been in the mid 70 to low 80's here but I'd need a crowbar to get them off right now. However, I didn't remove them multiple times to get the fit just right, I imagine each time would weaken the 3M adhesive. Anyway, I'm very pleased with the product but they aren't paying me so I'll shut up now.

Tell me about noises/creaks.. where were they and how did they fix them? I'm heading to service tomorrow for the oil light thing and I'm finding I'm getting increasingly annoyed by the creak in the overhead light unit.
I think cause you got it right the first time that's probably it?

I don't know.

I never had one personally, I just know what I've read and what my friend told me.

To me though, it is the better looking option for sure.

Now don't go and using a crow bar in your Z

For the rattles, I went on a drive with the tech and pointed out what I'm referring to and he was able help me out with them
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #31
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
O well, they get paid for service and more-or-less the annoyance of mine is fixed.
I'm worse with women lol.
OoooooKaaaaaay!

You are worse with women who rattle?
or you pay for service with women to fix your annoyances?

Sorry - couldn't resist takign you slightly out of context. I'll go stick my head int he sand now...

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #32
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
OoooooKaaaaaay!

You are worse with women who rattle?
or you pay for service with women to fix your annoyances?

Sorry - couldn't resist takign you slightly out of context. I'll go stick my head int he sand now...
lol
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #33
ring007
Major
Rep
Drives: GT3RS & Speciale No BMWs now

thanks for all the information everyone. I just ordered the "just Roadsters" version in clear with trim. $208 shipped. I'll update the thread upon receipt.
Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2011, 02:17 AM   #34
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ring007 View Post
thanks for all the information everyone. I just ordered the "just Roadsters" version in clear with trim. $208 shipped. I'll update the thread upon receipt.
Thanks again.
They wanted me to a vendor for them...but then I went out of the country for a couple weeks (so I didn't get to see their email, I was in the Middle East, which blocks Gmail), so by the time I got back I guess they weren't interested anymore :/
I tried to email them

I was able to get a great price for them. :/
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 02:36 PM   #35
ring007
Major
Rep
Drives: GT3RS & Speciale No BMWs now

Works well on blocking wind. Install was a snap. clear velcro stips around the head restraint thingys. Thanks for the recommendation Persian.

Quote:
Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 07:51 AM   #36
DRL1950
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 Z4 3.5 is

For what it's worth, I used their product in my 08 Z-4 for the last three years, never a rattle and now as I am turning it in for an 11 model there is no way it is coming out!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #37
Bomb617
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Alpine White 535i M-Sport

So what is the verdict on the best price vs good ratio? Which one should we get?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 02:35 AM   #38
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Works well on blocking wind. Install was a snap. clear velcro stips around the head restraint thingys. Thanks for the recommendation Persian.
You're welcome
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2011, 02:48 AM   #39
Stafainn
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 SDrive 23i

I've had clear toughened glass and black mesh windstops on previous sports cars that I've owned. While the clear ones probably look better I've always found that the mesh ones are more efficient when cutting down backdraft. I decided to fit the OEM mesh one to my E89. BMW wanted to sell me both the front and rear covers for the roll hoops as well as the large and two small mesh panels for a crazy price. I ended up buying a new kit minus the covers on Ebay for a fraction of the price and fitting it myself - took about 1 hour, but I'm sure I could do it in less than 30 minutes now. Whatever anybody tells you about needing new covers, don't believe them. All you need to do is drill a couple of holes in each of the back covers. My windstop works well and looks as BMW intended, not something that is held on with sticky tape and Velcro. So my advise is buy the proper part and if you want to cut costs fit it yourself - it isn't difficult.

p.s. In certain circumstances glass/plastic windstops can cause glare from the sun blinding drivers of following cars. Also, in the event of an accident toughened glass breaks up into tiny bits whereas plastic can form large shards which might not look too good sticking out of your kneck.
Appreciate 0