New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-07-2014, 10:23 AM   #1
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 30i Auto

Anyone else find that water has collected in the boot?

So a few months ago I had the roofs hydraulic unit fail on me. After a bit of wangling, BMW agreed to cover the cost of the part and I had to cover the cost of the labour (car was out of warranty).

But before I took it into BMW, I obviously had a look at the unit to see if there was anything obviously wrong.

I found that the bottom of the boot was wet and there was a not insignificant collection of what appeared to be water. I mopped it up as best I could and even got an acqua vac out to suck up what I couldn't mop up.

Anyway, a few months down the road and I had to have a tyre repaired and opened the boot to pull out the tool to remove the anti-theft locking wheel nut and found that it's wet down there again.

I don't know why water is accumulating there and don't believe it's anything to do with washing of the vehicle (but of course I can't be certain of anything).

Has anyone else come across this issue? Anyone have any ideas as to what could be the cause?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 10:38 AM   #2
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

my GUESS is a leak in the hydraulic fluid or misaligned roof.

trunk leak is one issue i haven't experienced
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #3
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Wasn't there a 'quality enhancement' (recall) for boot/trunk vents that were letting in water?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 06:41 AM   #4
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Sorry for the late reply. Work has kept me away.

Nicknaz:....that was my first thought also. I have tried to pin point any leaks and can't find anything obvious. The amount of water that accumulates over time would suggest that it's very little and not the amount I would expect from, say, washing or wet weather, if there was a leak around the roof unit. But of course leak could be anywhere.

ManiacGT: Yes....I hear that too and am sure that the improvement was carried out when the car was still under warranty. But admittedly I have some doubts now. Think I read somewhere that the way to tell is to look for some green cover or something in the interior of the boot. Will try and find some info on this and look to see if there is this tale tale sign. Don't suppose you would happen to know if the recall would be carried out free of charge on a vehicle that is out of warranty in the event it turns out it wasn't carried out?

Thanks for the replies.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 07:35 AM   #5
Leo Demetriou
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i - Stolen, Now Golf7

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I had water come into the lower boot area around the pump. BMW told me that a seal had failed where the wiring entered the boot area.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 08:18 AM   #6
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Demetriou View Post
I had water come into the lower boot area around the pump. BMW told me that a seal had failed where the wiring entered the boot area.
Thanks for the post. Not sure how to check if that's the case but I'll see what I can find out.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2014, 09:18 AM   #7
riccis
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

So....just been out and had another look.

There is a small green round plastic thingy on the right of the boot with a petrol pump symbol on it (when I first got the car there seemed to be an issue with filling up where I had to put petrol in very slowly or the metro pump would constantly trip as if the tank was full).

Anyway, there was water again in the well where the roofs hydraulic pump sits. mopped it up as best I could with a sponge. Taking a closer look there is some slight evidence that water may be entering from the left side of the boot (so possibly coming in from the left rear wheel well).

Will update this post as I figure this thing out (hopefully).
Appreciate 0