New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

09-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #1
dcs2k
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

sound system on my E89

One of my priority since getting my 35i was to install a good sound system. I hope the below writeup can be of help to someone in this community when deciding what to do if they need more than just the stock system that comes with the car. My setup might be overkill some some so just use it as a reference if it helps.

Aim

To have as good as possible of a sound system, keeping the stock headunit and all features (i.e steering wheel controls, PDC) while maintain a clean look. Able to compromise on a reduced boot space. Minimium cutting as much as possible, with a budget of 10k.

I will let the photos do the talkking. Got a full DLS setup. 3 way components, 1 5 channel amp, 1 2 channel amp, a convertor to read the signals from the stock headunit, a processor, 1 10inch sub

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Hi,

Nice job, but why installing this kind of hi end equipment and than using the bad standard headunit? The speaker output quality is bad. Something that can not be fixed by excellent DSP, amplifiers and speakers. Tried that once on my previous E85. But I know, the steeringwheel controls and PDC is a serious issue to keep the basic unit.

The sub behind the seat, is this closed cabinet setup?

I have put a JBL GTO804 one also in the rear wall, but in the center. But I have some resonance effects in the rear wall. Did you something special to reduce this effect?

This is what I have done until now:
http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewto...p?f=23&t=11335

Last edited by zEdP; 09-20-2009 at 02:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
jpapg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

Great job ! Congrats
Must be real painful considering how much trim you had to remove ...
Question: Where did you cut the speaker wires to feed 'em to the line converter? Did U do that behind the radio or inside the trunk ?
Did U use the factory speaker cables or did U run new cabling from the amp to the speakers ?
      09-17-2009, 10:58 PM   #4
mav5125
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Nice !!

The stock sound system isn't very good. But i got the logic 7 upgrade. Hope that's pretty good.

mav.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav5125 View Post
Nice !!

The stock sound system isn't very good. But i got the logic 7 upgrade. Hope that's pretty good.

mav.
The Z4 premium sound pkg is the best BMW system I've had. Aftermatket can be better but the factory opt is worth the cost.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 07:51 AM   #6
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep

Hi sg-e89,

Today I made some modifications on my sub woofer. Thanks for your pictures, these were very helpful today.

EdP
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 09:05 AM   #7
JohnT
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive23i

Hi,
Do you think just changing the speakers, the standard 6, to pioneer for example, and leaving the head unit would make much of a difference to the sound quality?
Just not clear or sharp enough for my ears.
John
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 01:19 PM   #8
dcs2k
Lieutenant
Rep

ZedP, glad to be of help. no more resonance now? What did you do to the sub to make it sound better? Im taking your advice to change the head unit. pls let me know where I can get the panel to fit a aftermarket headunit.

John, changing the speakers will make a noticeable difference. Adding an amp will make it sound much better. I will encourage you toget a 2 way component speakers with a 4 channel amp for maxmium effect. You can keep the stock headunit and still it makes a world of difference.

jpapg new cables were run everywhere. From the headunit itself new cables were run to the line convertor.

For the same upgrade cost to get the premium system, an aftermarket system will sound much better in my opinion. If I get to spec my car all over again I would have left it with a basic sound system to get the aftermarket 1
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 03:02 AM   #9
JohnT
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive23i

Could you tell me how the footwell and door speaker grills are removed?
I understand that the rear just unclip, thanks to ZedP photos on that one.
John
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 03:25 AM   #10
siscobmw
freude am fahren ....scheiden freude...
Italy
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive30i tiefseeblau

For my taste speaker covers are ugly, but I have to say You did a beautiful job, You also put attention to details , also wires positioning is accurate!
great!and I bet the sound is fantastic....
Francesco
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #11
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
no more resonance now? What did you do to the sub to make it sound better?
I put some polyfill stuff between the carpet rearwall and the steal chassis bars. I fixed also an air leak between the speaker and cabinet. This leak was the main cause the rear wall started to resonance. Fixed also some BASS rattles. Now only the rear number-plate rattles at 90HZ.

Stuff to use a standard DIN car stereo in a E89. 1 series DIN frames will fit.

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Car_Stereo_f...w/1_series.htm
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 03:26 PM   #12
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg-e89 View Post
One of my priority since getting my 35i was to install a good sound system. I hope the below writeup can be of help to someone in this community when deciding what to do if they need more than just the stock system that comes with the car. My setup might be overkill some some so just use it as a reference if it helps.

Aim

To have as good as possible of a sound system, keeping the stock headunit and all features (i.e steering wheel controls, PDC) while maintain a clean look. Able to compromise on a reduced boot space. Minimium cutting as much as possible, with a budget of 10k.

I will let the photos do the talkking. Got a full DLS setup. 3 way components, 1 5 channel amp, 1 2 channel amp, a convertor to read the signals from the stock headunit, a processor, 1 10inch sub

Killer setup without a doubt! I love the attention to detail for the wire routing.

Been looking closely at your components and think I figured out most of it but got a couple of questions if you don’t mind.

The Helix AFC interfaces with you head end unit, right? I assume your system had the ipod and usb adaptors already or do they interface with the Pioneer AXM-P90RS?

It looks like Pioneer AXM-P90RS is positioned behind the Helix AFC. The display for the AXM-P90RS has been custom fitted in your console (better choice than the dash or glove box as recommended in the manual). Do you have a wireless remote for the AXM-P90RS?

Not sure what the Pioneer unit is on the other side – is that an amp? I assume it is an amp but it looks like you have two more amps in the trunk (boot).

Noticed your nice Rockford Fosgate 10” sub mounted where the Through-loading opening is – very clever. I'm curious how you will protect the sub-woofer from damage - will it be covered?

In the trunk (boot) you have two LED lit boxes – one vertical and one on the floor of the trunk (boot). The vertical one looks like it's mounted to a custom enclosure for the Fosgate sub, and the one on the floor of the trunk (boot) has a nice looking plastic cover (custom?). Are one or both of those amps?

Lastly, how or where did they intercept the output speaker wires from your existing headend? Were they already going to the back or did you have to re-route the speaker wires?

Please post final photos when it's all back together.

Last edited by teagueAMX; 09-21-2009 at 01:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 02:30 PM   #13
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Stock Sound vs Premium

Do I need the premium sound? If its a choice between the sport package or premium sound, what do I pick. Is the sound OK, livable with the up? Top down livable? Not asking for amazing sound but OK sound.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 04:12 PM   #14
clydebmwz4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

obviously go for the sport package !!! sound can be upgraded later if need be ... I went for the intermediate solution with sports and 11 speaker setup
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 05:02 PM   #15
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrock22 View Post
Do I need the premium sound? If its a choice between the sport package or premium sound, what do I pick. Is the sound OK, livable with the up? Top down livable? Not asking for amazing sound but OK sound.
Yes, as noted above, go for the Sports Package, but be prepared for disappointment with the basic sound system when the top is down.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 05:59 AM   #16
dcs2k
Lieutenant
Rep

Hey there,

The current setup wasn not able to have the stock headunit interface correctly with the Helix for now. Im waiting for the tuner to finish his Team Pioneer competition before he comes back to settle the issue. Apparently the E89 is using some form of new CANBUS stuff, hence I cannot get my FM/CD player sound for now. If he doesnt come up with a solution in time, I might just get a aftermarket headunit, and skip the processor + Helix setup.

Ipod is currently running via Pioneer AXM-90RS, my Z4 configuration comes with the SUB and ipod, but for better sound, it was recommended to run thru the AXM-P90RS

AXM-P90RS is installed behind my pax seat area where a speaker used to be. THe current position where is was custom fit at the center console at my request is a big fail. Even with the remote control, its kindda hard trying to look at it. If i am keeping the processor+ display, I will have the display be fitted right in front of the auto gearbox.

The other pioneer set you see installed behind the driver seat is a univeral digital preamp/equalizer DEQ-P90, to complement the P90RS. I might just do away with all three DEQ-P90, P90RS and Helix line convertor and get a P99 instead eventually.

Let me come back to you all regarding the speaker cables, I suspect new cables were used from the stock headunit side.

THey use PVC material to wrap the enclosures, and the floor of the boot, it looks and feel expensive to my eye at least lol

I will let the photos do the rest of the talkking. Notice how the installer was able to hide the wiring, sub, mounting of the equipments and retain the stock look

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Killer setup without a doubt! I love the attention to detail for the wire routing.

Been looking closely at your components and think I figured out most of it but got a couple of questions if you don’t mind.

The Helix AFC interfaces with you head end unit, right? I assume your system had the ipod and usb adaptors already or do they interface with the Pioneer AXM-P90RS?

It looks like Pioneer AXM-P90RS is positioned behind the Helix AFC. The display for the AXM-P90RS has been custom fitted in your console (better choice than the dash or glove box as recommended in the manual). Do you have a wireless remote for the AXM-P90RS?

Not sure what the Pioneer unit is on the other side – is that an amp? I assume it is an amp but it looks like you have two more amps in the trunk (boot).

Noticed your nice Rockford Fosgate 10” sub mounted where the Through-loading opening is – very clever. I'm curious how you will protect the sub-woofer from damage - will it be covered?

In the trunk (boot) you have two LED lit boxes – one vertical and one on the floor of the trunk (boot). The vertical one looks like it's mounted to a custom enclosure for the Fosgate sub, and the one on the floor of the trunk (boot) has a nice looking plastic cover (custom?). Are one or both of those amps?

Lastly, how or where did they intercept the output speaker wires from your existing headend? Were they already going to the back or did you have to re-route the speaker wires?

Please post final photos when it's all back together.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #17
BMWE934me
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335i E93 Alpine White

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrock22 View Post
As noted by others, go for the sport package, as you can upgrade the sound system later. You might as well turn off the base stereo when the top is down. The sound of the engine is much sweeter. The premium sound system is a great deal though, as you will probably spend more later to upgrade the sound system. I budgeted $2000-$2500 and right now, I see that will just get the components. I am also keeping the stock headunit and will use the JL Audio cleansweep to clean up and increase the signal to my amps and for speakers, I chose to with a system that is made specifically for our E89 from Jehnert. It is a 12 speaker setup that fits in the doors and kick panels. It comes complete with each side having a 6 speaker crossover pre-set for our car. I am just now ordering parts and hope to get installed by the end of next month. Here are some pics below. The insert panel is covered with material from BMW to match your interior.

Name:  8_165_125.jpg
Views: 5591
Size:  215.3 KBName:  75190_BMW_Z4-1.jpg
Views: 5000
Size:  68.3 KBName:  75190_leer.jpg
Views: 4957
Size:  26.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 10:44 AM   #18
Visionist
Private
Italy