New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #1
Pacemaker1000
Private
Rep
Drives: 430i GC

Retrofit Garmin Navi

Anybody fitted one of these?
From what I gather you cannot just buy and install the bracket and buy your own Navi as it has to have the BMW software

Don't suppose it shows the parking display same as factory?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 04:00 AM   #2
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i (before: 23i)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacemaker1000 View Post
Anybody fitted one of these?
Yes, I have a "BMW Navigation Portable Plus" (2nd generation, 2010 = Garmin 765) in my E89, but I had my dealership mount the device.

Quote:
you cannot just buy and install the bracket and buy your own Navi as it has to have the BMW software
That's right - the "regular" Garmins will never have output on your car's speakers. Even with the correct "BMW Navigation pro/plus/HD traffic" devices, the car must be coded by your dealership so that speaker output is possible.

Quote:
Don't suppose it shows the parking display same as factory?
No

BTW: If you are interested in retrofit navigation, you might want to have a deeper look into the new 4th gen. "BMW Navigation Portable HD Traffic" (see here - sorry, German only) - this device is based on the 5-inch "Tomtom Go Live" (probably model 1015?) instead of Garmin and has its own realtime traffic information OTA. I am also looking for an upgrade at the moment (but I am a bit hesitating as I have no information on handsfree set quality - the handsfree set of the 2nd gen Garmin portable plus has been much better than all other successors due to a 2-microphone array).

Best regards

Mick
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
Pacemaker1000
Private
Rep

^^^^
Thanks that's great
Do you think it is just the cars software that needs changing s it plays sound through the speakers and not the actual Garmin?
In other words now its done can you add any Garmin unit off the shelf? Hope so as this would allow future upgrades and mean I could just have the car kit and buy my own Nav

Any chance you could try another stock Garmin unit as a test?

Thanks

Last edited by Pacemaker1000; 11-06-2012 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 04:28 AM   #4
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
^^^^
Thanks that's great
You're welcome

Quote:
Do you think it is just the cars software that needs changing s it plays sound through the speakers and not the actual Garmin?
In other words now its done can you add any Garmin unit off the shelf?
I already tried this with a friend's original Garmin 715 (=765 without TMC) device in my BMW cradle, but unfortunately that didn't work out. Power supply through the BMW cradle was OK, but, apparently, there are additional modifications in the BMW labeled devices' software allowing for an output through the speakers (pretty sure that BMW wants to earn some money this way instead of losing it to Garmin). However, I can't tell if the newer devices have the same issue or the same cradle.

Maybe there is another option: As soon as the car and your radio are coded for usage with the BMW navigation portable plus/pro/HD traffic, the signals on the referring cables of the cradle should be transferred between radio and navigation device - in particular "Signal Mute" and "NF GND" / "NF R" for the navigation commands. So if you find any navigation device on the market that has its own cradle and is capable to generate such signals, you might perhaps install BMW's cradle, have some dealership code car and radio for use with this cradle and change that cradle for your new device's own cradle.

Please find attached an excerpt of the installation guide for the BMW E90 series (sorry again only in German). You will find the connection scheme that should allow to attach any other navigation device to the cables that accepts a 12V power supply (signal "31" = Ground, signal "15" = ignition 12V+), that has a signal output for the speakers ("NF GND", "NF R") and an output for a "mute" signal.

BTW: Tomtom's HD Traffic (= go live 1015) appears to be quite rubbish, so I will probably stick to my old 2nd gen Garmin navigation plus...

Best regards

Mick
Attached Images

Last edited by Mick70; 11-07-2012 at 04:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
Pacemaker1000
Private
Rep

Pity it's not simple but I like your thinking.
So bmw have added something to the software to stop you adding your own Garmin and therefore an updated model when it arrives
Looking a the diagrams you kindly posted, assuming all garmins output the necessary signals, then it should be possible to rearrange the b1-b12 connections if they are not in the correct order?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 03:34 AM   #6
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Looking a the diagrams you kindly posted, assuming all garmins output the necessary signals, then it should be possible to rearrange the b1-b12 connections if they are not in the correct order?
I am not sure if it's that easy - I am not even sure if the regular Garmins output the necessary signals (in particular the "mute" signal) at all without modifications. I have found (but not completely studied) this thread in another forum, lateron also referring to the pinouts for Nuvi 7x5 and 8xx. Unfortunately almost all relevant pics that could have enlighted the coerrect pinoputs have been removed by the mods due to size issues or from external upload servers. Nonetheless, you will find useful information, e.g. on page 13 to 16 (look for "managed port devices" - maybe BMW has an own id only implemented in their devices) and on page 17 a hint that a "mute" signal is most probably not implemented in regular Garmin devices.

Best regards

Mick
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Does anyone have a picture of what the Portable Navigation Plus looks like installed in a Z4? I've done a Google image search and all I could find are installs in 3 series or 1 series.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
Pacemaker1000
Private
Rep

Couple if pics here

http://z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic....armin&start=75
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 12:52 AM   #9
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Quote:
Looks good, but not sure if it's $600+ good.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2012, 04:05 AM   #10
Pacemaker1000
Private
Rep

I know!
The actual tray with harness and mount is only £30!
The rest is for the adapted Garmin unit and coding. Hence me trying to see if a standard Garmin can be used
Appreciate 0