New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-30-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
Z4-Archon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White Z4 35i

Is the ECU update not free?

I took my Z4 in for service (long crank) and they mentioned that the software (assuming ECU) isn't up to date. I asked them to update it and they said it wasn't free. So, is there a list of bug fixes from the latest release that I could argue I need?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2010, 11:27 PM   #2
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 z4 3.0 crimson red

which dealer did you go to? it absolutely should be free, they are responsible for updating any and all computer software in your car for the warranty period. take it to another dealer OR complain to bmw usa about this.

as far your "long crank" issue, the software upgrade will not fix it, you are most probably going to need a new high pressure fuel pump. this is an extremely well known issue, i assume they told you this?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 05:14 AM   #3
pmlnnrt
Phil
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z-4 35i

I too had the long crank problem - it was a High Pressure Fuel Pump - and I was told - it might need replacing again - strange that they would admit it ! - they did the software upgrade at that time too -

Phil
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
Z4-Archon
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White Z4 35i

I'm in Austin too, local dealer. I took it in to have the long crank issue addressed, yes I know about the HPFP issue and mentioned it to them. I also was getting the Dinan Stage 2 upgrade. They called later in the day saying the car needed the latest software from BMW before they could install the Dinan software.

I had just assumed they would do the BMW update as needed, but I was told that it is typically a paid update. They are trying to use the long crank issue to install the update for free. Maybe the update requires a newer computer, I don't know.

Anyone know more about the ECU software and how it relates to the hardware in the car? Also, how does Dinan's upgrade figure into that?

Thanks,

Ron.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 z4 3.0 crimson red

all control software updates are free. if the ecu hardware is dead, they would have to replace that for free as well. it is all under warranty. dealers will not hesitate to make money off you if you allow them to.
Appreciate 0