New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

View Poll Results: Most popular color?
Mojave Metallic 3 2.91%
Black Sapphire Metallic 21 20.39%
Orion Silver Metallic 5 4.85%
Deep Sea Blue metallic 29 28.16%
Titanium Silver Metallic 4 3.88%
Space Gray Metallic 7 6.80%
Alpine White 19 18.45%
Crimson Red 6 5.83%
Jet Black 9 8.74%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

12-11-2009, 06:22 AM   #67
RaphyZ
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: '13 Z4 sDrive35is, Sapphire

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toodeep View Post
I think the reason Mojave (or Havana as it's called in England) is low on the list is because it limits you to one interior. It forces you into having the Ivory white interior which, in turn, means having the stripy wood-effect dash. I chose the Ivory interior (on a Jet Black car) but most people who've seen it think I was crazy. As it is, I have banned anyone wearing new Denim and I've developed OCD about hand-washing and dry-cleaning.

I liked Mojave in some pictures and was indifferent to it in others. Without any opportunity to see it in the flesh, I could never be sure how it looked. The swatch in the brochure made it look quite dark which, for me, would be a good thing but I'd seen photos and clips from auto shows that made it look only a few shades darker than Orion Silver.

Upkeep issues aside, I'm happy with the Ivory leather/alcantara but don't like the fake wood. It cannot be long before companies start making replacement dashboards for the e89 in carbon fibre etc. As soon as I can change it to something like the Piano Black available for the 3 series, I plan to.
I wasn't limited to any specific colours nor materials, I ordered my Havana with black leather interior and choosed aluminium instead of wood because it would have be to "dark" otherwise...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 07:13 AM   #68
Toodeep
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: sDrive 35i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaphyZ View Post
I wasn't limited to any specific colours nor materials, I ordered my Havana with black leather interior and choosed aluminium instead of wood because it would have be to "dark" otherwise...
I wonder why the marketing people make these arbitrary decisions. I had thought the designers had perhaps decided that only the Ivory would suit the Havana exterior. Clearly not, unless they are saying that the Swiss have questionable tastes that need to be catered for or that the British cannot be trusted when it comes to matters of style! Here the Havana paint colour only comes as a package with the compulsory Ivory White interior (or Pure White Design Package) with sports seats.

I was also told that I couldn't have the Ivory interior and not have metallic paint but managed to get my own way. At the time I felt very pleased with myself but now I'm guessing I only got what everyone else worldwide can order without question.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #69
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Garage List
Hard ot use Mojave in this as you have to get the Ivory interior if you get the Mojave and that adds a lot of extra $$. So.. everyone could love it but just not vote for it because of the cost implications. Just saying ....

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #70
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

Quote:
I was also told that I couldn't have the Ivory interior and not have metallic paint but managed to get my own way. At the time I felt very pleased with myself but now I'm guessing I only got what everyone else worldwide can order without question.
Ivory white interior has always been available with any color metallic or non metallic. It states that everywhere that I have ever read including the Z4 brochure.
E36 - 1998 Z3 2.8 (Red, black leather, wood trim)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #71
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Yes, only Mojave requires Ivory White, but not the other way around.

Last edited by teagueAMX; 12-11-2009 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #72
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Quote:
it's sad , but you gotta walk into the dealerships knowing more than the sales people, cuz they don't know their ass for a whole in the wall...
      12-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #73
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The last time I talked with a BMW dealership sales adviser he didn't know half the options, packages or technical details of the cars we talked about, even though he said he'd worked as a BMW sales adviser for 12 years.

There's more collective knowledge about BMWs here on these forums and a couple of others than you'll even find at a dealership.

Last edited by teagueAMX; 12-11-2009 at 09:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 04:05 PM   #74
bobbydog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

People here are passionate about their cars...At the dealers, they're just interested in making money.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 04:44 PM   #75
Oh Captain My Captain
With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Porsche Cayenne S

Getting a little off topic but I'll throw in my two cents anyway.

One of the tactics described in "The Art of War" is to make your enemy believe they have the upper hand. I think there are salespeople that play dumb to make the buyer feel that they have the upper hand and this gives the buyer a false sense of security..."I know more than the salesperson, therefore I am in control". It makes it easier to manipulate the person who feels they are in control. Also, making you feel like you are in control gives you a better buying experience and makes you more likely to come back.

How much would you have to hate your job to not bother learning about all the details of your product? My salesperson, who has been selling BMW for over 10 years, was not aware of the 2011 5 series premiere online when it happened. I was really surprised by that. I was even more surprised by the dealer who was in shock that I had the "confidential dealer wholesale pricing"

As a Psych major in college and a physician now, I laugh at how these guys try to manipulate my thought process.....or are they laughing at how easy they're manipulating me...now I'm confused.

Last edited by Oh Captain My Captain; 12-11-2009 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: Added more thoughts
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #76
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Captain My Captain View Post
One of the tactics described in "The Art of War" is to make your enemy believe they have the upper hand. I think their are salespeople that play dumb to make the buyer feel that they have the upper hand and this gives the buyer a false sense of security..."I know more than the salesperson, therefore I am in control". It makes it easier to manipulate the person who feels they are in control. Also, making you feel like you are in control gives you a better buying experience and makes you more likely to come back.
I'll give you that point it's good practice to get your client to lower his/her defenses. My BS detector never stops working once I walk onto the lot, so I likely don't 'em a fighting chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Captain My Captain View Post
I laugh at how these guys try to manipulate my thought process.....or are they laughing at how easy they're manipulating me...now I'm confused.
I think you need more psych classes to help you figure that out. Either that or you really want what they have to sell you, which is not a bad thing when it comes to sports cars. A little delirium ain't all bad.

Last edited by teagueAMX; 12-12-2009 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #77
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2012 View Post
it's sad , but you gotta walk into the dealerships knowing more than the sales people, cuz they don't know their ass for a whole in the wall...
If I'm feeling particularly jaunty, sometimes I ask the salesperson a tough question to something I already know the answer to, just to see them squirm or perhaps to evaluate their answer and gauge the level of BS I can expect throughout the remainder of the sales process.

I've also learned there is an inverse relationship between how sure they are of their answer, and how correct the answer is.

(Same inverse relationship I get if I ask my girlfriend for directions while I'm driving. If I get a very confident answer like, "take a left at the next light", from her, I pretty much have a good level of confidence that we need to take a right)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #78
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
If I'm feeling particularly jaunty, sometimes I ask the salesperson a tough question to something I already know the answer to, just to see them squirm or perhaps to evaluate their answer and gauge the level of BS I can expect throughout the remainder of the sales process.

I've also learned there is an inverse relationship between how sure they are of their answer, and how correct the answer is.
I have done that, just to test the salesman. I don't expect them to be experts but at least know something about the cars.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 08:25 AM   #79
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

When I was on a hunt looking for a dealer that had a Z4 with DCT for a test drive, I was also amazed at how little the salesmen knew. Out of four dealers that I visited, two dealers had salesmen that did not have a clue. I had to correct them on so many things. They tried to come off like they were so informative, but I had to keep correcting them. I actually felt embarrassed for them.

I have to say that the salesman at my local dealer that I have dealt with the last three times, does know his stuff. He not only knows everything about the car and how to operate everything, but he is up on all the latest BMW news and gives me info before it is available to the public.
E36 - 1998 Z3 2.8 (Red, black leather, wood trim)
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2009, 08:39 AM   #80
Oh Captain My Captain
With Great Power, Comes Great Responsibility
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Porsche Cayenne S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal View Post
When I was on a hunt looking for a dealer that had a Z4 with DCT for a test drive, I was also amazed at how little the salesmen knew. Out of four dealers that I visited, two dealers had salesmen that did not have a clue. I had to correct them on so many things. They tried to come off like they were so informative, but I had to keep correcting them. I actually felt embarrassed for them.
This is why there is so much turnover with salespeople at dealerships. Anyone remember that show on A&E called King of Cars? It was awesome in showing how a dealership works as well as the extremes of salespeople from clueless bumpkins to shrewd manipulators.

Quote:
I have to say that the salesman at my local dealer that I have dealt with the last three times, does know his stuff. He not only knows everything about the car and how to operate everything, but he is up on all the latest BMW news and gives me info before it is available to the public.
This is why that particular dealership keeps your business. My Benz dealer sends me $500 gift cards for his dealership (full amount can be applied to a car purchase or 15% up to $500 on service) at least twice a year. Very knowledgeable amount the cars we are interested in and doesn't dick around when we negotiate the price.

I'm trying a new BMW dealership with my Z4, so I don't have a lot of experience with them outside of what friends have told which has been positive. They gave me an X6 for a weekend to try out as well as a Z4 35i with DCT...I think I like this dealership.

Sorry Memphis.
      12-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #81
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

it's cool, the color thread was getting old. hehe...
      12-12-2009, 10:40 PM   #82
Stick Shift
Private
Rep
Drives: too fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
The last time I talked with a BMW dealership sales adviser he didn't know half the options, packages or technical details of the cars we talked about, even though he said he'd worked as a BMW sales adviser for 12 years.

There's more collective knowledge about BMWs here on these forums and a couple of others than you'll even find at a dealership.
From my experience, at most dealerships knowledge about cars is not a requirement to be a car salesman. If you're a car enthusiast then you probably know more about the car than the salesman who is trying to sell it to you.
      12-12-2009, 10:41 PM   #83
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I agree
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 07:25 AM   #84
Toodeep
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: sDrive 35i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal View Post
Ivory white interior has always been available with any color metallic or non metallic. It states that everywhere that I have ever read including the Z4 brochure.
Only one of us is in the UK which may be lucky for you but it also means you may not have read the UK brochure. Here, the colour (color) Havana (or Mojave if you must) only comes with the Pure White Design Package (ie Ivory) and the Pure White Design Package can only be specified in combination with metallic paint. It is well accepted that car makers market to the UK differently than mainland Europe and to Europe in a different way to America. For example, in addition to the 30i and 35i, we get an z4 sDrive 23i (2.5 litre (liter) 6) starting with a more basic spec (eg cloth seats) which would presumably be too austere for your tastes. Another example: Despite being the largest market for sunroofs (or moonroofs as you call them) and convertible roofs in Europe, we can only get the carbon fibre (fiber) roof in our M3 coupé (coupe) where you can choose a moonroof.

So my points, while valid, may not always translate to cars purchased across the Atlantic - much like my language and spelling. As George Bernard Shaw said, we are two nations separated by the same language.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 07:33 AM   #85
alan64
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

so it appears that when you combine the metallic black and the jet black,, that black is in the lead? I would have thought that silver would have done at least a little better. I guess people are tired of silver and are looking for other colors.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2009, 07:56 AM   #86
dszpiro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240iX

Garage List
2022 BMW 330iX  [0.00]
2022 BMW M240iX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan64 View Post
so it appears that when you combine the metallic black and the jet black,, that black is in the lead?
But only by one vote at this moment: 30 to 29.

Go DSB, go!

BMW #9: 2022 M240ix (Dec 2021)
BMW #8: 2022 330iX (Dec 2021)
Past: 320iX, M550iX, M235iX, 335iX, two Z4, 540i
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2009, 05:17 AM   #87
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

alpine