New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-18-2017, 05:40 PM   #23
BBriner
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89 sDrive 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Another question is that the LED sometimes still work...so it can't be completely dead, do you guys suspect it's probably a loose connection somewhere instead of a fuse or other issue?
This is what happened to me. It was a socket whose welds to the circuit board were breaking, after some time due to vibration the welds broke altogether.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 03:30 AM   #24
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Arrggh, I'm at wit's end!!! Lousy %%#%@#% LEDs! Enemy of DIYers!

Last ditch attempt for HELP. Otherwise, I'm gonna havta buy a new unit as this is such a MAJOR PITA!

So I took apart the rear light as much as possible, but cannot access the LED strips...I guess they can only be accessed from the front where the red plastic is glued to the rest of the assembly? I was hoping it would be some screwed/latched mechanism, but no such luck. Just posting these photos just in case I missed something. My question is: can I only get at the LED by breaking the glue between the red plastic and the black 'plastic tub'? If so, it seems like a pain, unless there's a simple way.

Thanks, guys.

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 08:41 AM   #25
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
This is the time where you connect the light wires to a 12 volt source to test the light independent of the car wiring.

A car battery works of course, but I like to use AC/DC power sources such as old computer or printer power packs, something like that which has a 12 volt output.

Or, take out the light from the other side of the car and plug this light into the socket and see what you get.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 11:10 AM   #26
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
This is the time where you connect the light wires to a 12 volt source to test the light independent of the car wiring.

A car battery works of course, but I like to use AC/DC power sources such as old computer or printer power packs, something like that which has a 12 volt output.

Or, take out the light from the other side of the car and plug this light into the socket and see what you get.
I don't think I have a proper power source but good idea if I give up I'll have the dealership test it before I buy a new one.

So I guess I'm screwed re the LED since I need to break the glue seal to get at it?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 11:16 AM   #27
NoQuarter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 535xi / 2011 Z4 35Is

Garage List
2018 BMW X2  [0.00]
2008 535xi  [0.00]
2011 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
I don't think I have a proper power source but good idea if I give up I'll have the dealership test it before I buy a new one.

So I guess I'm screwed re the LED since I need to break the glue seal to get at it?
It won't plug into the light on the other side?

Unless the dealer has another Z4 they are willing to take the light out of I doubt they will test the light. The svc dept is not known for component level troubleshooting.

They would usually say you need a new light. Then when that is not it then they will say you need a new harness or.... a new car!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 11:33 AM   #28
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
It won't plug into the light on the other side?

Unless the dealer has another Z4 they are willing to take the light out of I doubt they will test the light. The svc dept is not known for component level troubleshooting.

They would usually say you need a new light. Then when that is not it then they will say you need a new harness or.... a new car!
I'm too lazy to take apart the other side of the trunk arrgh lol.

If I go I'll call ahead or else I guess I havta check it on my own...such a pita, they definitely don't want you to mess w/ the LED diy.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 03:15 PM   #29
BBriner
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Correct. You need to soften up the glue with a heat gun or "bake" the light assembly in the over. Search the net and you will find forum discussions and youtube videos showing the procedure.
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2017, 03:18 PM   #30
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBriner View Post
Correct. You need to soften up the glue with a heat gun or "bake" the light assembly in the over. Search the net and you will find forum discussions and youtube videos showing the procedure.
Tx for the confirm. Sucks, too much work for me and no tools. I give up.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 03:26 PM   #31
BBriner
Switzerland
Rep

The yellow is the part where the harness connects to the circuit board. The LED blinkers are powered by a 3 pin socket.

The pink seems to be (I think) the wire leaving the circuit board to power on the red position LED. The blue is most likely the red position LED itself.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 03:28 PM   #32
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The yellow is the part where the harness connects to the circuit board. The LED blinkers are powered by a 3 pin socket.

The pink seems to be (I think) the wire leaving the circuit board to power on the red position LED. The blue is most likely the red position LED itself.
Tx but can I (or an electrician) do anything w/ that, assuming that I won't remove the red plastic to physically get at the LED?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 03:36 PM   #33
BBriner
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Tx but can I (or an electrician) do anything w/ that, assuming that I won't remove the red plastic to physically get at the LED?
Definitely no. In order to identify where is your loose contact is (just an assumption atm), you will have to access the circuit board thus you will have to remove the red lens.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 03:53 PM   #34
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Definitely no. In order to identify where is your loose contact is (just an assumption atm), you will have to access the circuit board thus you will have to remove the red lens.
Argh, that's too much for me. Gotta somehow remove all the extraneous stuff and bake it in the oven...I'd probably burn my place down lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 01:25 AM   #35
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Seems like every time I plug the light back in it works for a bit. Funny thing, it's working again, but the 'burnt bulb' warning light came on lol (in contrast to the times when the LED light didn't work but no warning light came on). Those infamous BMW electric gremlins. Maybe it has something to do w/ the connector itself.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2017, 02:33 PM   #36
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Hmm, I'm wondering if I'm the first guy w/ a problematic LED here? I'm thinking it's a bad/loose connector *fingers crossed* Theoretically, LEDs should last 'forever', right?
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 04:53 PM   #37
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

ID'd prb and possible solution *fingers crossed*

Ok, after messing around w/ the rear LED light for several months, I'm pretty sure the prb is a LOOSE WIRE issue somewhere. I've been doing stuff like pulling on various wires because it's not as simple as 1 loose wire, but somehow a 'combination' of pulling wires one way and some others another, and trying to hold them in place w/ tape. It's very frustrating because a big jolt would sometimes loosen the tape/wires and disconnect the light...so I've been tinkering w/ what taping technique to hold what wires in what way w/ tape, it's all trail-by-error. Anyway, I've finally got to the pt of taping up all the loose wiring, so short of removing the light and soldering the contacts, hopefully this will finally do it.

At least I know that I won't be throwing away an otherwise perfectly good LED light and paying $$$$$ for a new one. It's ridiculous and such waste, shame on BMW for suggesting that the only solution was to pay a crazy price for what ended up as lousy wire connect issues.

Hope this helps for ppl w/ encountering this prb.
Appreciate 0