New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-01-2015, 07:34 AM   #1
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Any electrical/wiring skilled people around?

Ok so I have this little LED light for one of my fish tanks, (it's called a Solar Flare 115 for reference) and it's not working, so hopefully someone here can help..!

Anywho, the way it's setup is with 5 LED's, with 4 of them being white and 1 in the center being a blue one.. The switch that came attached to the light reads "I, OFF, II" so I can set it to "I" which would turn on just the blue LED, or I can switch it to "II" which turns on all the LED's.. So my light has stopped working completely and I figured since I'm pretty tech savvy let me dig into this and see what's going on.. So I grabbed my multimeter and checked for power and continuity and low and behold there is both, and then I tested each of the individual 5 LED's and they all work except one white one is out..

So I went to Radio Shack and bought a new SPDT switch, and after I desoldered the old switch and connected the wires to the new switch, the blue LED turned on, YAYYYY right, not quite.. None of the other LED's turn on, and I wired the new switch just like the old switch..!?!

Well where I'm at now is, with my multimeter turned to voltage out mode, I can power on 4/5 LED's when testing separately, and then when the switch is connected and everything is hooked up how it's supposed to be, only one comes on..!! I'm so confused now because that's about the extent of my electrical competence when it comes to these things... It seems like it should be a very easy fix as it's only 3 wires I'm dealing with, but it just doesn't make sense that the LED's light up individually when being tested with a multimeter, but don't light up when everything is connected how it's supposed to be.. If anyone can suggest some more tests or other things to try I'd appreciate it.. I'll attach a pic for reference...

Thanks!

Last edited by BeastMode335i; 06-01-2015 at 07:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 11:19 AM   #2
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

You could de-solder the bad LED and replace it or make a little jumper wire and by-pass the bad LED. I'm assuming that the circuit board they are mounted to, power runs through them in series.

Pic doesn't appear btw.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 12:35 PM   #3
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

IF you are lighting up the individual LEDs by touching the probe directly to the LED, the circuit board is bad.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 04:49 PM   #4
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

I was testing them on the actual LED, once the optic is removed there's a little + and - on them and I was just touching the red/black wires from the multimeter to them and they would illuminate, all the LED's but one anyways.. I tried to disassemble the fixture they are in but it's not happening lol, I started to accidentally destroy it.. I put it back together for now with the one blue LED because the tank has been without light for 2 days.. I have some coral in it so I'd like to get this figured out but I'm thinking I'm probably not going to be able to fix it unless I can disassemble this fixture.. I contacted the manufacturer and they are pointing the finger at everybody except themselves so their customer service is not really sufficient for me in this matter.. If anyone can still help here though I'd appreciate it..

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 04:51 PM   #5
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB335d View Post
You could de-solder the bad LED and replace it or make a little jumper wire and by-pass the bad LED. I'm assuming that the circuit board they are mounted to, power runs through them in series.

Pic doesn't appear btw.
Could the one bad led be causing the rest to not work..?? Kinda like x-mas lights..??
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 04:58 PM   #6
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastMode335i
Quote:

Pic doesn't appear btw.
Could the one bad led be causing the rest to not work..?? Kinda like x-mas lights..??
Exactly. By taking a small piece of wire and going from the good LED next to it solder the wire to the (-) and then the other end to the next good LED solder the wire to the (+). You would be bypassing the bad LED and sending power to the next good one.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 07:46 PM   #7
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Exactly. By taking a small piece of wire and going from the good LED next to it solder the wire to the (-) and then the other end to the next good LED solder the wire to the (+). You would be bypassing the bad LED and sending power to the next good one.
I understand... Maybe I'll further try to take this thing apart and see if I can figure it out! They really intended for this light to not be taken apart lol..!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 11:48 PM   #8
WreckerX5d
Warrant Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deezul

I'm agreeing with DSB335d and saying the LED is the culprit. Do you get an O.L. (when on Vdc or diode setting) across the bad LED? If so, replace that and the light system should work.