New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-21-2008, 11:58 AM   #1
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Hard top vert & the track?

Anyone know how the rules would apply for the hard top & track use?

I don't do a lot of tracking, but I'd like to be able to do the occasional DE event.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2008, 12:27 PM   #2
AndyE1976
Brit in GA
United_States
Rep
Drives: Saab 9-3SE Cab

BMW CCA classes hard top convertibles with soft-tops and doesn't allow either on driver ed days.

I don't know whether there is any possibilty of this being reconsidered if the top is up and it's a hard top car.

Many other clubs also rule out convertibles from their driving days.

If anyone has a list of clubs or organisers that don't exclude convertibles then it would be great to have those listed.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
DerekSelmanRacing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Z4 3.0 SMG, 01 530

NASA (nasaproracing.com) allows convt equipped with rollover protection. Our 2005 Z4 3.0 is tracked regularly.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

Most BMW CCA chapters will not allow any convertible of any type on track for a DE event, even if it is a folding hard top like the E89. There is some room for interpretation in the National DE guidelines, but most chapters do not want to take the risk. On the other hand, PCA regions generally will allow convertibles with factory roll over protection, especially if the car passes the "broomstick test" in which the occupant's head is below the level of a line drawn from the top of the roll hoop to the top of the windshield header. A shorter driver might be OK, and a taller driver might not be OK. Organizations like NASA and other for profit entities that are selling on-track driving time are more liberal about such matters since they want to bring in as many customers as possible. So, in general BMW CCA has the strictest policies about not allowing convertibles on track, and most BMW convertible owners who enjoy track days seek out PCA and these other organizations for their track time.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
AndyE1976
Brit in GA
United_States
Rep

The PCA and NASA websites weren't particularly clear on definitely allowing Z4's, or hard top convertibles. I think this is something worth clarifying with different organisations.

I would hope that it would be acceptable to run the car with the hard top up. Maybe even the BMW CCA will come to that opinion.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 03:22 AM   #6
AWM3
BMW Fan
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE1976 View Post
The PCA and NASA websites weren't particularly clear on definitely allowing Z4's, or hard top convertibles. I think this is something worth clarifying with different organisations.

I would hope that it would be acceptable to run the car with the hard top up. Maybe even the BMW CCA will come to that opinion.
It's important to understand that a hard top convertible is still a convertible and the aluminum hard top, while it looks sturdy enough and certainly eliminates a lot of the problems with fabric tops, is not and never will be considered adequate roll over protection. The roll over protection is in the factory roll hoops, which are quite strong. Also, usually the "A pillar" which is the post along each side of the windshield, is generally made stronger and thicker on convertibles to afford additional protection. The Z4 coupes were incredibly stiff because they combined a steel roof with the strengthening features already included in the Z4 convertible.

While driving on track, with either a fabric top or a folding hard top convertible, the top should be kept up because it may serve to keep the occupants' limbs inside the vehicle during a crash. Otherwise arm restraints would be required, which typically are not seen at DE events. I did see one fellow using arm restraints after his arm was smashed into many pieces when he flipped his open top Cobra replica.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 07:35 AM   #7
AndyE1976
Brit in GA
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by car62 View Post
... The roll over protection is in the factory roll hoops, which are quite strong. Also, usually the "A pillar" which is the post along each side of the windshield, is generally made stronger and thicker on convertibles to afford additional protection. ...
You're right, the folding hard top doesn't offer the protection of a proper roof and isn't intended as the primary roll-over protection on the E89. It would be interesting to see how it performs though in BMW's tests.
Appreciate 0