New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-07-2013, 04:58 AM   #1
mybank2828
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 z4 35i (Manual,M package)

how to take out the z4 nose grill before spraying 3M

Hi All,

Now that I got help on how to take out the BMW logo emblem! I have more questions:

1) how to I take out the nose grills from the front bumper? see picture #1
2) how I take out the grills at the bottom front bumper, see picture#2
3) how do I take out the headlight wiper cover. see picture #3

Thanks for any advice in advance!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
Innovative AutoConcepts
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 E89 Alpine White

Garage List
Good Question, I would like to know as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Remove Kidney: There are 8 tabs on each grill (3 on top, 3 on bottom, 1 on each side). You can either put your finger in from the front and dislodge the ones on top, then just pull really hard (but gently) to dislodge the rest. Or, if you have big hands, open up the trunk, remove air duct cover, then come in from the top. Thread here: http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=646404
Note when doing this: You really have to use force. I was afraid of breaking things when I first took it out, so it wouldn't budge. Now I know how much force to use, and I can get them both out in 10 minutes. I like to use my knee to push against the bottom of the bumper (to prevent it from coming out from the pulling force) then pulling the grill up and out.

Remove Bottom Vent: Same thing, 8 clips. Just grab it by the slat, and pull hard (but again gently) on the sides. No need to dislodge tabs as that will probably involve removing fender liner. Thread here: http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=574465

Headlight Washer Cover: Not sure if you have seen it in operation, but it opens sorta by tilting and then slides out. Dig it up so it opens like it normally would (Maybe try putting a credit card into the cap and prying it out) and lift it up. It is held down by a spring so it will drop back down if you don't hold it. Keep holding it, and if you look inside, it will be held by round lug. Just pop it off carefully. This is very fragile though, as you would imagine.
Opens up like such
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

Here are some pictures of the Grills with them out to show you where the 8 tabs are to be unsnapped. To have the easiest access to the tabs, I removed the air intake, very easy and was able to reach inside and push down and pull up on the tabs as needed. I started at the top and moved around the grill diameter to unsnap the tabs then gently pulled out on each section of the grill as the tabs were released
Attached Images

2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0